MasterCard acknowledges it needs Apple to bring NFC payments into the mainstream

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    This is a scary new world. I like tech as much as the next guy but this is going too far in my opinion. Next step imbedded NFC chips in your hand.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

So I go to Chick Fil-a and the NFC device is outside the drive through window? or there is one at every table at every restaurant. Just saying- you can't use NFC exclusively even if it was offered everywhere- unless you give your phone up at some point. Germs...

Fast food restaurants should have them at every register, including the drive through, so you can get it with the 8" of the NFC receiver, but you have a point about sit-down restaurants. I expect the future will have waitstaff with handheld devices but when it first become standard I would expect most sit-down restaurants to still do kiosks where they take your card/phone. Having a way to turn on NFC for x-many minutes but locking the phone immediately might be needed or simply forcing certain businesses to change their policy might be in order.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Same here. Love that app.

I love the concept more than I love that particular app. IOW, I think there is a lot of improvement that could be made despite being a great space saver. I find that app slow to load and because some stores have older, less sensitive scanners I would like an option that would just put the numbers in a large font to make it easy for the clerk to type in on their end.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Who the hell has 40 cards? (besides you)..

I figure a lot of people do. AAA, various grocery stores, various drugs stores (like CVS and Walgreens), movie theaters, AppleInsider Gold Card, etc.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pika2000 View Post

More reason to stop supporting carrier-controlled phones. Yeah, it's sad seeing Google bowed down to Verizon for the Nexus, which is Google's own dev phone.

They did not. Google has an agreement with Sprint for Wallet in the US which runs out in the Spring. However the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon supports it just fine. No special permissions required. I use it a bunch. I never thought I'd be into the whole NFC thing but it really is quite handy and seamless. Especially if you go the prepaid card route. Great when I go for a run and want to stop for a drink or a snack. Except since my iPhone has more of my music, juggling is annoying.

I hope Apple gets on board soon. I'd like to answer "Is there an iPhone app for that?" while in the checkout line with a yes.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I like tech as much as the next guy but this is going too far in my opinion.

Why do you feel that way?
  • Reply 25 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pika2000 View Post

Need Apple? Personally, retailer support is more important. What's the point of NFC if I can only use it on certain few retailers, regardless whether I have an Apple device or not? Have everything, including public transportation, ATMs, vending machines, retailers, grocery stores, ticket booths, all use the same standard, then NFC will gain traction. Until then, it's easier to swipe my credit card.

The point is that retailers will come on board when Apple is on board. Apple brings tens of millions of users on board almost instantly with the release of a new model iPhone, users who have decent spending power. That will motivate retailers not Android OEMs or always-trying-to-get-something-for-nothing Google.

Credit cards are great for online purchases, cash is great offline, as a retailer I offer discounts for cash - less money for the banks. Spending cash opens up the opportunity for discounts too with smaller retailers, 2 - 3%, that's what the card companies charge, worth it on a $100+ buy.

And I had a digital account disappear, just like the movie, the bank said the account never existed. It took communications with eight levels of bank personnel over several weeks before it was sorted, the first seven levels kept telling me I hadn't had an account that I'd been using for several years. Eventually they said it was a software glitch, whatever, don't keep all your eggs in one basket.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    NFC "More Secure"?!!

Wow... maybe they need to take a closer look at the goal.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You wouldn't be handing your phone over to anyone. NFC is quite good in making your accounts more secure than with plastic.

How do you figure? Nice article over on /. today about the problems.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    Quote:

I expect the future will have waitstaff with handheld devices ...

They already do it everywhere in Europe now for chip-and-pin.
  • Reply 29 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

nfc "more secure"?!!

Wow... Maybe they need to take a closer look at the goal.

Quote:

how do you figure? Nice article over on /. Today about the problems.

Quote:

they already do it everywhere in europe now for chip-and-pin.

RFID is not NFC.
  • Reply 30 of 63
    Quote:

I like to tip my hair dresser with a fiver, the box boy with pocket change and the beggar on the street with a single. The closer we get to all electronic payments the more these less priveleged among us will suffer. That among other objections. I'll elaborate later.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    Quote:

I like to tip my hair dresser with a fiver, the box boy with pocket change and the beggar on the street with a single. The closer we get to all electronic payments the more these less priveleged among us will suffer. That among other objections. I'll elaborate later.

Somehow I doubt that. I don't carry cash currently and likely never will. NFC will do nothing except make my current cashless lifestyle easier. I add tips for my barber on my credit card payment and would do the same on an NFC payment. The future beggar on the street can wait for the next person in the line of cars the same as the ones do now. There will always be those who carry cash or like to wear their tinfoil hats and are against NFC or other electronic payment methods.

That, or instead of carrying around a homeless vet sign, the beggar on the street can go find a job?
  • Reply 32 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beauty of Bath View Post

The point is that retailers will come on board when Apple is on board. Apple brings tens of millions of users on board almost instantly with the release of a new model iPhone, users who have decent spending power. That will motivate retailers not Android OEMs or always-trying-to-get-something-for-nothing Google.

Credit cards are great for online purchases, cash is great offline, as a retailer I offer discounts for cash - less money for the banks. Spending cash opens up the opportunity for discounts too with smaller retailers, 2 - 3%, that's what the card companies charge, worth it on a $100+ buy.

Why? It's not like consumers are champing at the bit to spend their cash if only there were another payment scheme available.

Do you think a retailer, on installing the new iOS NFC payment system, could expect to see an increase in revenue? I don't think so.

The only decent NFC value proposition noted for consumers and retailers isn't even in payments but loyalty schemes. It's hardly compelling.

I don't think it's a great idea to bank on cutting merchant service fees either. It's unlikely that Apple, the company that charge 30% for everything running through its ecosystem, will decide to undercut banks on fees.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    Double post.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachB10 View Post

Somehow I doubt that. I don't carry cash currently and likely never will. NFC will do nothing except make my current cashless lifestyle easier. I add tips for my barber on my credit card payment and would do the same on an NFC payment. The future beggar on the street can wait for the next person in the line of cars the same as the ones do now. There will always be those who carry cash or like to wear their tinfoil hats and are against NFC or other electronic payment methods.

That, or instead of carrying around a homeless vet sign, the beggar on the street can go find a job?

Sorry Zach I just realized I was living in an parallel universe that wasn't connected to your elitist cashless society. Whatever... I can accept your payment to support my charitable organizations in what ever method you wish to contribute. We accept credit cards, PayPal, wire transfer, cash, check, chickens, etc, please pm me for available participation programs.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Why? It's not like consumers are champing at the bit to spend their cash if only there were another payment scheme available.

Do you think a retailer, on installing the new iOS NFC payment system, could expect to see an increase in revenue? I don't think so.

The only decent NFC value proposition noted for consumers and retailers isn't even in payments but loyalty schemes. It's hardly compelling.

I don't think it's a great idea to bank on cutting merchant service fees either. It's unlikely that Apple, the company that charge 30% for everything running through its ecosystem, will decide to undercut banks on fees.

Retailers want to take your money as fast as possible, what they look for are shorter queues and speedier transactions meaning lower staff cost per transaction. Some shoppers leave their prospective purchases if queues are too long, at busy times retailers are limited by transaction speed and it is not always possible to predict when busy times will occur. Even when entirely predictable volume of prospective sales can overwhelm systems, think getting a beer at the Superbowl interval, thousands wanting to spend their money in a tiny time slot. Whether NFC does speed things up and achieves critical mass remains to be seen but many retailers believe they have to be in on it just in case it does take off and they then risk being left behind by the competition.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong just pointing out that's how things work.

Use cash and there are no merchant fees, doesn't work online of course.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beauty of Bath View Post

Retailers want to take your money as fast as possible, what they look for are shorter queues and speedier transactions meaning lower staff cost per transaction. Some shoppers leave their prospective purchases if queues are too long, at busy times retailers are limited by transaction speed and it is not always possible to predict when busy times will occur.

From what I've seen NFC on a phone is actually slower than exisitng solutions (specifically chip-and-pin and chip/RFID with auto-approval under a pre-determined floor limit).
  • Reply 37 of 63
    Quote:

I already lighten my wallet load by about 40 cards with CardStar.

Off topic... that app is a nice example of the different platform UI's.

• Reply 38 of 63
    Quote:

Fast food restaurants should have them at every register, including the drive through, so you can get it with the 8" of the NFC receiver, but you have a point about sit-down restaurants. I expect the future will have waitstaff with handheld devices but when it first become standard I would expect most sit-down restaurants to still do kiosks where they take your card/phone.

Kiosks in restaurants are rapidly being replaced with handheld units since credit cards are switching to using chip-and-pin. The old method of handing the waiter your card doesn't work when you still need to input a PIN to authorize payment.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Retailer support is more important than devices that can utilize it thus making the retailers investment worthwhile? It's the classic chicken and egg scenario that a great deal of technology but as stated in the article it won't become mainstream until there is a technology company with a great deal of mindshare and market presence to make retailers want to add NFC.

Merchant support was already everywhere... In Canada. I was using my Mastercard Paypass up until Dec 20th. When I came back in Janurary 2012, suddenly no stores Paypass worked anymore. So I had to start using the chip+pin EMV instead. I'm not sure what gives, but I imagine either something is about to change with those contactless payment pads, or I was just an early adopter of the PayPass and they changed it so currently issued cards no longer work.

If I had the contactless payment available by just swiping the phone, I could just leave everything at home but the phone. The only places off hand that didn't have Paypass were full service restaurants (eg not McDonalds.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    Quote:

I like tech as much as the next guy but this is going too far in my opinion.

Quote:

Quote:

Allow me to elaborate for you....

He really doesn't want to get all that sparkly stuff all over his iPhone when he sticks it in some dancer's cleavage.