Samsung looks to replicate Apple's advertising thunder [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

can we stop responding to Slapppy? He derails every conversation ALL THE TIME with his bullshit...true or not, partially true or not, lie or not, it's all pointless.

I think it best to not allow lies to be perpetuated. Imagine a guest coming to the forums and reading his stuff. Without anyone refuting it, they could take it as fact.

That's why anyone responds to anyone else, really.
  • Reply 42 of 95
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    You sound like a locker-room full of Android fanboys in those commercials.

You know what to do to get more profits?

Don't use someone else's OS. It's only good for the one who makes it. Not for the manufacturer.

Don't copy the iPhone. Don't copy the iPhone ads -- when you hire Hodgman, we know you're lost. (You already hired one of the little girls from the iPhone camera ad.)
  • Reply 43 of 95
    Interested to see their approach. This is something Microsoft should have done long ago, ditching CPU clock speed, gigs of RAM, and other metrics useful to no one except a few IT hounds at Slashdot and codecrackers at the NSA.

I think the bigger issue for Samsung is the association their brand has with 'cheap'. I cannot fathom them at anywhere near the same level as, let's say, a Sony or even Panasonic. I can't think of any Samsung innovations, only their take on existing technology. Have they led in any industry or do they simply ride along side it? (I'm concentrating on their consumer side; I know their semiconductor business is pretty strong.)

It always irks me when I look in a rearview mirror thinking it's a Mercedes only to see a Hyundai Genesis drive by. I asked a Hyundai rep at a recent car show why that car looks so much like an S-series Mercedes. He looked me straight in the face, gave me the Jedi wave, and said, "No it doesn't."

It's this kind of self-denial that keeps them from gaining ground. Admitting that they're blatantly copying everyone and everything will set them free, and might even allow them to make something that's exciting instead of just filling a spot at a back aisle at Fry's.

On the contrary, I have yet to see Apple getting into the washer-dryer business. Samsung kills Apple in that market.
  • Reply 44 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I think it best to not allow lies to be perpetuated. Imagine a guest coming to the forums and reading his stuff. Without anyone refuting it, they could take it as fact.

That's why anyone responds to anyone else, really.

True...that I understand...
  • Reply 45 of 95
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Wow. Many of you do not realize that these ads are working. Samsung nearly equaled Apple iOS in sales with 35million units. Clearly the ads are working. Ridiculing Apple iOS buyers waiting on line has touched a chord with the public. This will be fun to watch at Superbowl.

Well there you go again. I know you are really in Apple HQ messing with our heads.

Go Patriots!
  • Reply 46 of 95
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Samsung can never duplicate Apple this way.

First, Apple went from niche to chic. Samsung went from conglomerate to bigger conglomerate!

Second, I served with Apple. I knew Apple. Apple was a friend of mine. Samsung, you're no Apple.

/

/

/
  • Reply 47 of 95
    Hope their strategy is not to win over Apple customers, so they'll cross over to Samsung. If it is it's not a good strategy to insult and make it seem like the customers you want to buy your products are brainless lost drones. Good luck on that, Lee.
  • Reply 48 of 95
    blursdblursd Posts: 123member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

It always irks me when I look in a rearview mirror thinking it's a Mercedes only to see a Hyundai Genesis drive by. I asked a Hyundai rep at a recent car show why that car looks so much like an S-series Mercedes. He looked me straight in the face, gave me the Jedi wave, and said, "No it doesn't."

THANK YOU!!! I was telling a friend a couple months ago that I keep on seeing these Mercedes-Benz's in my rearview mirror only to find out it's a Hyundai as it get's closer! It pisses me off too ... is such a blatant style ripoff. I, myself, am a Volvo man, but it really irks me that a car company would make their car look so much like another (far higher quality) car that it's hard to distinguish them from a distance. I can tell a BMW from a Mercedes, from a Lexus, from an Audi, from a Jaguar, from a etc, etc ... when the car is just a speck in my rearview mirror.

My friend said he had no idea what I was talking about ... and that the Hyundai's don't look like Mercedes Benz cars, so it's nice to hear someone else say the same thing as me independently.

Oh yah ... Samsung sucks too. I think it's kind of a cultural thing ... look at almost everything that comes out of South Korea, China, Taiwan, etc ... they excel at copying ideas (large and small).
  • Reply 49 of 95
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

An upcoming Super Bowl spot, which is a first for Samsung's cellphone division, will reportedly up the stakes with a new product unveiling, though Lee refused to comment on what exactly will be announced.

I'm guessing either the Galaxy Note or the Galaxy S III.

In any case, I'm not sure insulting your potential customers (even if "tongue-in-cheek") is that effective in the long run. At the end of the day, it still makes people think about the original.
  • Reply 50 of 95
    Quote:

'what I have in my hands is me.'

• Reply 51 of 95
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    What you fanboys are doing is the exact thing that Samsung wants: passion.

Just as there are those who oppose Samsung, there are just as many if not more people who are for Samsung.

This is Samsungs tactics of keeping those loyal people even more loyal due to your bickering and belittling.

What you people are doing is generating the buzz needed for Samsung and getting the word out.

It's quite obvious from the market figures that there are two major players I this field and Samsung intends to keep it that way.
  • Reply 52 of 95
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Lee refused to comment on what exactly will be announced.

I have it from a good source that Samsung will be announcing Android 2.4 for the Droid Charge.
  • Reply 53 of 95
    Quote:

Wow. Many of you do not realize that these ads are working. Samsung nearly equaled Apple iOS in sales with 35million units. Clearly the ads are working. Ridiculing Apple iOS buyers waiting on line has touched a chord with the public. This will be fun to watch at Superbowl.

When did this newest ad campaign from Samsung begin? You know last quarter was from October to December, right?

And I never really understood what makes Samsung so great... they are yet another Android OEM.

"Oh man... I just got this new Samsung phone. But it's pretty much the same as my buddy's Motorola."
  • Reply 54 of 95
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Interested to see their approach. This is something Microsoft should have done long ago, ditching CPU clock speed, gigs of RAM, and other metrics useful to no one except a few IT hounds at Slashdot and codecrackers at the NSA.

I think the bigger issue for Samsung is the association their brand has with 'cheap'. I cannot fathom them at anywhere near the same level as, let's say, a Sony or even Panasonic. I can't think of any Samsung innovations, only their take on existing technology. Have they led in any industry or do they simply ride along side it? (I'm concentrating on their consumer side; I know their semiconductor business is pretty strong.)

It's this kind of self-denial that keeps them from gaining ground. Admitting that they're blatantly copying everyone and everything will set them free, and might even allow them to make something that's exciting instead of just filling a spot at a back aisle at Fry's.

Their display division leads in market shares and profits.

You jumped from one company in Korea and now you are labeling an entire nation based on subjective opinions. Great analysis yeah really.

While I'm at it lets say that all companies in the US makes a ton of profits of the backs of survitude labor.
  • Reply 55 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

What you fanboys are doing is the exact thing that Samsung wants: passion.

Just as there are those who oppose Samsung, there are just as many if not more people who are for Samsung.

This is Samsungs tactics of keeping those loyal people even more loyal due to your bickering and belittling.

What you people are doing is generating the buzz needed for Samsung and getting the word out.

It's quite obvious from the market figures that there are two major players I this field and Samsung intends to keep it that way.

Is there a websites called SamsungInsider with a forum full of passionate people?

Apple Fans are everywhere.... I've never heard of a Samsung Fan.

Besides... Samsung phones run the same OS as many other manufacturer's phones. Doesn't that make them a commodity? What exactly is so special about Samsung phones compared to HTC, Motorola and LG?
  • Reply 56 of 95
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ElectroTech View Post

This company is so low that they have to copy everything about Apple and Apple products that they need to be taught a lesson. Boycott Samsung consumer products.

Way ahead of you on this one.

The only Samsung product in our house is an LCD TV.

And guess what Apple's probably releasing this year...
  • Reply 57 of 95
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

When did this newest ad campaign from Samsung begin? You know last quarter was from October to December, right?

And I never really understood what makes Samsung so great... they are yet another Android OEM.

"Oh man... I just got this new Samsung phone. But it's pretty much the same as my buddy's Motorola."

Samsung was an also-ran Android player until mid-2010. Since then, and particularly in 2011, they have rocketed to the top. Plot their market share against the other players, and you'll see that it lines up pretty nicely with Nokia's fall. As Nokia as faltered, Samsung has risen.

Within the US, Samsung has benefited by cornering the high end of the Android market. Outside the US, they have benefited by cornering both the high end and low end that Nokia frittered away.

The advantage that Samsung had over Motorola and LG (and other Android manufacturers) is that, like Nokia, they control their own supply chain and have massive manufacturing capacity.
  • Reply 58 of 95
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Oh, you mean Apple's "dwindling" iPhone sales, which more than doubled YOY.
  • Reply 59 of 95
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I wonder if Samsung will give out stickers with its logo on it with every product it ships.

I wonder if those stickers will be Apple ones or Samsung ones?

I mean, if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then Samsung's flattery of Apple over the past few years has been nothing short of hero worship.
  • Reply 60 of 95
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

hey slappy, these are estimates. Samsung stopped releasing actual numbers. Find an actual press release by Sammy.

This is even better.

"Samsung 2011 Q4 earnings: $42 billion in sales, $4.7bn profit, 40% was from mobile"

http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-...bile-20120126/