Rumor: Handset vendors waiting for iPhone 4S demand to cool before releasing new models

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

International smartphone vendors, including Samsung, HTC, Nokia and LG, are rumored to be waiting until the second quarter to release new handset models in order to avoid direct competition with Apple's hot-selling iPhone 4S.

Taiwanese smartphone supply chain makers have reportedly indicated to industry publication DigiTimes that Apple's rivals are holding off on device launches because, based on previous experience, iPhone 4S sales "will remain at peak in the first quarter of 2012" before declining in the second quarter. The report claimed that the second-quarter releases from a range of smartphone makers are specifically timed "to avoid competing too directly with the iPhone 4S."

Several of the aforementioned smartphone makers will unveil new models at the 2012 Mobile World Congress, which takes place from Feb. 27-March 1 in Barcelona, Spain, in "consideration of advantageous timing," the report went on to note. Despite their first-quarter unveiling, the devices will reportedly not go on sale until the second quarter.

It should be noted, however, that DigiTimes' sources have at times proved less than reliable and should be met with some skepticism.

After Apple reported last week unprecedented sales of 37 million iPhones in the December quarter, one market research proclaimed the company the world's largest smartphone maker for the period, naming Samsung a close second with estimated shipments of 36.5 million units.

The company's impressive performance last quarter was good enough to barely beat out Google's Android platform for the first time in several quarters, according to one analysis. All told, Apple has sold 350 million iOS devices, including tablets and the iPod touch.

Analysts responded to the iPhone maker's quarterly results last week by raising their forecasts for the first quarter of calendar 2012. A number of them predicted that the company's smartphone sales will remain strong during the period due to incremental geographic and carrier launches.

The first quarter has already seen so far the launch of the iPhone 4S in China and 21 other countries. Despite the fact that the device's release in China was marred by a near-riot outside of Apple's flagship store in Beijing and experienced some delays as a result, the device is currently sold out in the country.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    I guess we could all wait and see what happens, but we already know the answer to that one. Right Apple?
  • Reply 2 of 41
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Makes sense, it sucks for us consumers but I can see them waiting. I hope they come out swinging at both ends with quad core and 2 ghz dual core phones though. If we have to wait it better be for something decent and not more crap with poor building materials and horrible designs. I really think companys have way to many choices anyway, just release three maybe four phones a years covering the low end to the high end. Wait a little pay more in research and develpment, spend some time testing. It seems like for every 20 Android phones that come to maket one is decent enough to purchase. I mean out of the entire line up of Samsung phones only three are even considered to be worthy to be put up against the iPhone. You don't need 4 models of the same phone either with just tweaked features to distinguish them from each other. Motorola I'm talking to you.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I hope they come out swinging at both ends with quad core and 2 ghz dual core phones though.

So do I. It will be all the more delicious when the iPhone 3GS, running a downclocked 633MHz, beats them all in sales.

Quote:

You don't need 4 models of the same phone either with just tweaked features to distinguish them from each other. Motorola I'm talking to you.

Took five years, but they're finally starting to see that, I think. Even just a little.

"But all of our users have different wants and needs! We should cater to all of them!"

Doesn't work in sales. You see maybe three or four toilet designs ever. Not that there couldn't be thirty.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

International smartphone vendors, including Samsung, HTC, Nokia and LG, are rumored to be waiting until the second quarter to release new handset models in order to avoid direct competition with Apple's hot-selling iPhone 4S.

Brilliant timing, copycats. Just in time to be blown out of existence by the iPhone 5...

Morons.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

Brilliant timing, copycats. Just in time to be blown out of existence by the iPhone 5...

Morons.

That's right. Blow them sky high out of the water Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    What a bunch of p******. Apple doesn't wait for anybody to release their phone.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    i guess they will never release another phone? I guess there's that two week period when the iphone 5 will be announced and when it goes on sale. Then again, people will complain that it's not the iphone 5S.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

Morons.

While I agree with your post mostly, how in the world is Apple going to release a 6th-generation phone and call it the iPhone 5? I have never understood this.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

While I agree with your post mostly, how in the world is Apple going to release a 6th-generation phone and call it the iPhone 5? I have never understood this.

Um, not so hard. Apple released 7 versions of snow leopard and then made the 8th version lion. You got a 4. You got a 4S. Now you get a 5. Easy peasy.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    At least this points out the real reason instead of claiming they holding off announcements out of respect for Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

iPhone

iPhone 3G

iPhone 3GS

iPhone 4

iPhone 4S

iPhone ?

If you see a pattern there that clearly and unequivocally shows that the next in the sequence is

iPhone 6, that is great for you. But as long as people have been squawking about it, no one has convinced me that 6 is the only suffix possible for the next iPhone. Apple has absolutely shown that they will use numbers that don't correspond with the actual version number of the phone.

This is not to say that the next will not be 6. I don't know. I am agnostic on the issue. I just find it silly that people are ready to criticize others for something that is not a certain fact, but is, in fact, an educated guess.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    I can believe this. But it's not so much that manufacturers are worried, it's that carriers don't want to release phones at the same time as the latest iPhone model. It'd be ideal for them to get the next Galaxy or whatever after the iPhone hype has died down. And if carriers don't want to buy them, manufacturers aren't going to make them.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Apple has absolutely shown that they will use numbers that don't correspond with the actual version number of the phone.

Apple has never used nomenclature that doesn't correspond to the version of the iPhone HW.

iPhone 3G was named so because it contained the 3G HW.

iPhone 3GS was named so because it was the iPhone 3G but speedier.

iPhone 4 was named so because it was the 4th release of the HW (also contained iOS 4 and the A4 chip).

iPhone 4S was named so because it was the iPhone 4 but speedier.

If Apple calls it the iPhone 5 it will be an unprecedented move. You might as well say they'll call it the iPhone 4T because T comes after S.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    It will be called iPhone 4G
  • Reply 15 of 41
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But didn't the 4S simply add Siri, which everyone else already had their own version of at least 12 months ago?

Since the 4S was just "an update" with no new/must have features, what's the hold up?
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Rumor: Handset vendors waiting for iPhone 4S demand to cool before releasing new models

What will really happen: Apple will release the iPad3 at the same time as all the new Android phones. The new iPad3 will interoperate with, sync with,or someway dance with the current iPhone so that there will be a second surge of iPhone sales drowning out any noise the Android makers will try to make.

Following quarter, new iPhone5....

Next quarter: Android found to infringe on Apple patent central to Android interoperability. All imports shut down by ITC.

News Item: Larry Page arrested while stomping on Steve Jobs grave. Confined to nut house.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

I can believe this. But it's not so much that manufacturers are worried, it's that carriers don't want to release phones at the same time as the latest iPhone model. It'd be ideal for them to get the next Galaxy or whatever after the iPhone hype has died down. And if carriers don't want to buy them, manufacturers aren't going to make them.

Maybe they are holding off because they don't want to have to recall them after Android is blocked. They may have to bring them out as Windows Phones or whatever operating systme the "copiests" are trying to "develop".
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

iPhone

iPhone 3G

iPhone 3GS

iPhone 4

iPhone 4S

iPhone ?

iPhone ME. That's the next one!
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Surrender ! Any resistance is futile !!!!!
  • Reply 20 of 41
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Vendors waiting for iPhone 4S demand to cool before releasing new models... That should be right around the time the next iPhone is released!

/

/

/