Apple releases free update to Final Cut Pro X with multi-cam editing

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

Apple on Tuesday announced the release of Final Cut Pro X v10.0.3, a significant update to its new professional video editing application that attempts to address some of the gripes customers had with the initial makeover of the product less than a year ago.

Multicam

In particular, the new version includes a collection of tools for editing multicam projects. Apple says the software automatically syncs clips from a shoot using audio waveforms, time and date, or timecode to create a Multicam Clip with up to 64 angles of video, which can include mixed formats, frame sizes and frame rates.

A customizable Angle Editor now lets editors dive into their Multicam Clip to make precise adjustments, including playing back multiple angles at the same time to seamlessly cut between them.

"You can change, add, or delete camera angles at any time and work with different codecs, frame sizes, and frame rates without conversion," Apple says. "When it’s time to cut your multicam project, simply click in the Angle Viewer or use keyboard shortcuts to switch between angles on the fly."

Advanced Chroma Keying

Final Cut Pro X 10.0.3 also builds upon its one-step chroma key with the addition of advanced controls, including color sampling, edge adjustment and light wrap. This allows editors to tackle complex keying challenges right in Final Cut Pro X, without having to export to a motion graphics application.

Media Relink

Meanwhile, a new Media Relink feature that lets editors reconnect media and exchange files with third-party applications using a robust relink interface. Editors can select media that has been moved or modified, or locate clips that have been transcoded, trimmed, or color graded by third-party tools. Then easily relink them to a Final Cut Pro X project or Event.

XML 1.1

Apple has also enhanced XML in Final Cut Pro X 10.0.3 for a richer interchange with third party apps and plug-ins:

"In the seven months since launch, the third party ecosystem around Final Cut Pro X has expanded dramatically," the company said in a statement. "XML-compatible software like DaVinci Resolve and CatDV provide tight integration for tasks such as color correction and media management. The new 7toX app from Intelligent Assistance uses XML to import Final Cut Pro 7 projects into Final Cut Pro X. In addition, some of the industry’s largest visual effects developers, including GenArts and Red Giant, have developed motion graphics plug-ins that take advantage of the speed and real-time preview capabilities of Final Cut Pro X."

Broadcast Monitoring

Final Cut Pro X v10.0.3 is available on the Mac App Store as a free update to owners of the $300 software. It also includes a beta of broadcast monitoring that supports Thunderbolt devices as well as PCIe cards. Apple says the beta allows editors to connect to waveform displays, vectorscopes, and calibrated, high-quality monitors to ensure their projects meets broadcast specifications. Final Cut Pro X supports monitoring of video and audio through Thunderbolt I/O devices, as well as through third party PCIe cards.

Last June, Apple introduced Final Cut Pro X as a "revolutionary new version" of its legacy video editing platform that it said would "completely reinvents video editing." However, the ground-up redesign of the application led to considerable backlash from the Final Cut community, who lambasted the software for missing features, its more consumer-oriented approach, lack of compatibility with Final Cut Pro 7 and general quirks.

Final Cut product managers were quick to address the community's concerns, promising improvements through updates such as the one launched Tuesday. Those Final Cut Pro X customers who were unwilling to wait for the refinements and adapt to the new system were given their money back.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 112
    All fixed.
  • Reply 2 of 112
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronHeadSlim View Post

All fixed.

But for those that complained, is it too little, too late and they moved on to Adobe Premiere?

/

/

/
  • Reply 3 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

But for those that complained, is it too little, too late and they moved on to Adobe Premiere?

/

/

/

I've seen a lot of 'claims' of users moving on to Premiere and Avid, but what is the reality? My bet is that FCP has more users than ever. Pro and Prosumer.
  • Reply 4 of 112
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

/

/

/

For those that complained probably.

But how many folks were that really, compared to those that understood that this was essentially a brand new software that yes has some features missing at the moment, but would come back in one form or another as the final bugs were worked out. Just like with all new software.

I bet if we had real numbers we'd find that in fact the complaints weren't really that large of a cut of the whole.
  • Reply 5 of 112
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I bet if we had real numbers we'd find that in fact the complaints weren't really that large of a cut of the whole.

True. I imagine that most people probably did a small amount of grumbling and then just said "well I guess I better not upgrade quite yet". Most people I am willing to bet were not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater so to speak unless they were already looking for a reason to explore other platforms already.
  • Reply 6 of 112
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Lots of stuff in this upgrade, more chroma options, XML 1.1, layered photoshop imports, and beta broadcast monitoring. Definitely "pro" features". Good job, Apple!

The multicam interface also supports still image sequences to build time lapses. The demo videos are quite impressive.
  • Reply 7 of 112
    Every professional that I know that uses FCP has stayed with FCP 7... and I doubt that this will get any of them to change at this point.
  • Reply 8 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NLCards View Post

Every professional that I know that uses FCP has stayed with FCP 7... and I doubt that this will get any of them to change at this point.

Interface squabbles aside, this definitely goes a long way to discourage the notion that this is iMovie Pro.

Now, if they had released version 10.0.0 like this, it would have been a grand slam for Apple.
  • Reply 9 of 112
    dooghdoogh Posts: 37member
    Quote:

Why? It does everything FC7 can do, but it does it better.
  • Reply 10 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoogH View Post

You couldn't say that 7 months ago.

BTW, a developer has just released two apps for $9.99 each to convert 7 and X projects back and forth between the two programs. That couldn't be done before today either.
  • Reply 11 of 112
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    That's great. I think GUI design skill is about making the pro things simple, not leaving them out.
  • Reply 12 of 112
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Interface squabbles aside, this definitely goes a long way to discourage the notion that this is iMovie Pro.

Now, if they had released version 10.0.0 like this, it would have been a grand slam for Apple.

Exactly. Apple released Final Cut X too soon. About a year too soon.
  • Reply 13 of 112
    Quote:

I think as long as FCP 7 is still serving peoples needs and they can still get new licenses, rampant switching won't be an issue. Eventually(maybe a year or so from now) all or most of the major features that were missing will be added, either by apple or by various plug-ins. More importantly, with FCP X being priced resonably, it is in reach of prosumers and possible future professional video editors. Your going to have a generation of kids who are going to have access to FCP X at a reasonable price, access to incredible HD video equipment, and they cary devices with them that take decent hd video wherever they go(their phones). Seems like a great strategy to me.
  • Reply 14 of 112
    I'm betting there were a lot of people who took advantage of Adobe's cross grade offer, without the specific intention of moving to Premier, but to get AE and PS. It was a great deal, even if you never opened PP.
  • Reply 15 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoogH View Post

"Better" is quite subjective, especially before this update. However, it certainly does do everything DIFFERENTLY. And most editing professionals don't have the time or energy to establish a completely different workflow. Which is why I don't know many that switched to FCPX or Pemiere for that matter.

Now I do agree that the more features Apple adds, the more I will start to see people switch over. It is still a slow process though, and my guess is that many won't even notice this announcement. They will wait for FCP 11 -- or whatever they decide to call the next rendition.
  • Reply 16 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

I doubt it. ANY interface change was bound to bring heat from people who frankly, don't want to relearn the skill set they've had for years. That's one of two big hangups people have had-

1- Feature incomplete

2- New way of working and thinking

(also) 3- the meme that Apple has become a toy company and isn't interested in pros

Apple was as open as they ever are (therefore not much) upon the release of FCPX in June. But people were rebuffed at the way Apple approached this release, so Apple is going to take a hit in the short term. That's the tradeoff for their secrecy.
  • Reply 17 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Baka-Dubbs View Post

I think as long as FCP 7 is still serving peoples needs and they can still get new licenses, rampant switching won't be an issue. Eventually(maybe a year or so from now) all or most of the major features that were missing will be added, either by apple or by various plug-ins. More importantly, with FCP X being priced resonably, it is in reach of prosumers and possible future professional video editors. Your going to have a generation of kids who are going to have access to FCP X at a reasonable price, access to incredible HD video equipment, and they cary devices with them that take decent hd video wherever they go(their phones). Seems like a great strategy to me.

I agree. and I think it is why most professionals I know have held out, sticking with FCP 7. Most believed that the features they needed would eventually be added and all would be right in the world. In the meantime, Apple can attracted a whole new batch of young editors that can have a pretty good product at a great price.
  • Reply 18 of 112
    Don't worry, Apple. Everyone here will find something else to whine about Final Cut Pro X not having.
  • Reply 19 of 112
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Exactly. Apple released Final Cut X too soon. About a year too soon.

Final Cut Pro X should have been released last year as Final Cut Express X and this should have been released now as Final Cut Pro X.

Would have prevented a lot of gnashing of teeth.
  • Reply 20 of 112
    I was one of the pro's originally upset by the first iteration of FinalCut X

While I was really annoyed about the missing features and apparent pro-sumer direction, I was also relieved that I didn't have to fork out $300 for the initial 'sub-par' release when I could just keep using 7 and 'wait and see'.

Most of the other pro users I know had also decided to 'wait and see'.

I always understood the disappointment others had, as I too had it, but I couldn't understand why so many seemed so quick and ready to jump onto Avid and Adobe mere days after the X announcement.

While cheap side-grades were offered, It all seemed pre-emptive and over-reactionary as well as a big switch to make so soon unless you had a software budget that needed to be spent.

I wasn't going to switch to Premiere, simply because I already owned it and it still didn't gel with me (despite the huge amount of work Adobe has put into it, shame though if you don't use a Nividia card).

If there was anything I was considering switching to it was Avid (which comes with its own issues) but I figured I could put that off for a year or so too.

Maybe, just maybe, with the threat of users moving to Avid/Adobe, Apple have finally realised that the Pro's have been steadily losing faith in Apple (I know I have). If that is the case, the over-reactionary threat to switch has proven worthwhile.

This update is good news and a move in the right direction for Apple and the pro market, which is really saying something when you consider there hasn't been a lot to be excited about in this area of the Apple business for quite some time now.

I'm not going to buy FinalCut X yet but with each minor update I'm becoming far more likely to.

This update also gives me hope that a new thunderbolt (+USB3.0?) equipped Mac Pro may be a reality but I was waiting for March and the Xeon release before I was going to get too worried about that one.

Hey it is also nice to see a story on the Apple rumour sites that isn't about a damn phone or tablet....ahhhh the good 'ol days!!