Apple releases AirPort Utility 6.0 for Mac borrowing iOS app design

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Oddly enough it installs on my older 24" iMac without issue. Not sure what's going on \

Post Update: It looks like the MAC Address Filtering is still there, it's all just under the "Timed Access" button, so that's fine. I also see the connected clients by name under the main page so the functionality I use still seems to be there.

Now I just need to figure out why it won't install on my 27" iMac.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Given the comments above, I'm not sure I want to upgrade it to 6 as is. I use the MAC address filtering and would hate to lose that functionality.

You don't lose it? Not to my knowledge, at least.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You don't lose it… Not to my knowledge, at least.

Yeah I see it here under 'Timed Access'. I was able to get the update on my older iMac without issue. No idea why it won't install on my main machine. It's already on 10.7.2 as well but the updater refuses to install both via the old 'Update' feature in the Airport Utility, or via a manually downloaded copy of 6.0. The manual download was how I discovered it doesn't seem to realize that my version is already at 10.7.2. It just reports the following:

"Airport Utility can't be installed on this disk. This software requires Mac OS X version 10.7.2 or later."

I'm already at 10.7.2 of course.

Irritating.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    You folks keep us posted, if you would. The last time I updated my Airports I spent half a day fighting with them and half rolling back.

I'm all for updates but I'm sitting this one out for a few days... : )
  • Reply 25 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jlandd View Post

You folks keep us posted, if you would. The last time I updated my Airports I spent half a day fighting with them and half rolling back.

I'm all for updates but I'm sitting this one out for a few days... : )

Well on the bright side I will report a substantial boost in speed. Anywhere from 1-3 MB/s on my local network so the firmware update is more than worth it. No issues to report other than manually having to unplug my airport express, which immediately connected after a hard reboot. You don't need 6.0 to update the firmware regardless of what you may be reading. 5.6 works perfectly fine to update the firmware and it will allow you to do so without updating Airport Utility.

My Airport Extreme firmware updated without issue and did not require a hard boot or anything of that sort.
  • Reply 26 of 37
  • Reply 27 of 37
    It also no longer shows the S.M.A.R.T status of the hard disk in the later Time Capsule models
  • Reply 28 of 37
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Well on the bright side I will report a substantial boost in speed. Anywhere from 1-3 MB/s on my local network so the firmware update is more than worth it. No issues to report other than manually having to unplug my airport express, which immediately connected after a hard reboot. You don't need 6.0 to update the firmware regardless of what you may be reading. 5.6 works perfectly fine to update the firmware and it will allow you to do so without updating Airport Utility.

My Airport Extreme firmware updated without issue and did not require a hard boot or anything of that sort.

Same exact thing for me. After updating the Airport Utility and the firmware for both my Extreme and Express, the Express wasn't being found on my network, just a solid yellow light. After I unplugged it for a few seconds and powered back up, it connected fine and re-joined the network. Very weird. Other than this though, the updates went very smoothly.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I like it. I like the network diagram when it starts up. And none of the settings they took out were ones I used. Perhaps some of those things have autoconfiguration protocols now, that's why they took them out.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    After updating my TC and Express everything seamed fine. The network map looked good and all. Then after about 15 minutes the Express started to show the warning symbol. I looked at the Express and sure enough the amber light was flashing. I unplugged it which removed it from the network map and plugged it back in. The green light came on for a few seconds and then the amber light came back on. Also it no longer shows up in the network map so I can't select it to see what's wrong.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mretondo View Post

Also it no longer shows up in the network map so I can't select it to see what's wrong.

Can you connect with an ethernet cable to see what's wrong?
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Same exact thing for me. After updating the Airport Utility and the firmware for both my Extreme and Express, the Express wasn't being found on my network, just a solid yellow light. After I unplugged it for a few seconds and powered back up, it connected fine and re-joined the network. Very weird. Other than this though, the updates went very smoothly.

I have the same proplem only no matter how may times I plug it in it still shows an amber light. I'm off to the Apple store on Saterday so the genous can have a look at it.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Can you connect with an ethernet cable to see what's wrong?

I had tried that but I got the same error message about can't finding it and to try again.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:

After updating my TC and Express everything seamed fine. The network map looked good and all. Then after about 15 minutes the Express started to show the warning symbol. I looked at the Express and sure enough the amber light was flashing. I unplugged it which removed it from the network map and plugged it back in. The green light came on for a few seconds and then the amber light came back on. Also it no longer shows up in the network map so I can't select it to see what's wrong.

Identical problem only mine lasted about 2 minutes.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    hzchzc Posts: 63member
    Yuck. It doesn't even work properly; failed to update firmware properly and now I can't even reconnect to the AirPort it was trying to update. Lately Apple keeps "upgrading" their software with crap that does't work. How tiring! Looks like my Saturday will be spent fixing my network, again.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hzc View Post

Yuck. It doesn't even work properly

Does for me and virtually everyone else, I'd imagine. What sort of errors were you getting?

Quote:

Lately Apple keeps "upgrading" their software with crap that does't work.

I've not noticed that to be the case, but I've only been paying attention for the last couple of decades.

Quote:

Looks like my Saturday will be spent fixing my network, again.

Think of it as a preference cleaning.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    Quote:

I've found that it doesn't always connect reliably according to the utility, but if you go to FILE -> Configure Other and just put in the IP it will connect every time. This will let you bypass the flaky scanning for the airport utility and directly connect instead.