Rumor: Handset vendors waiting for iPhone 4S demand to cool before releasing new models

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

iPhone ME. That's the next one!

I think Microsoft already killed that thought. ME was supposedly so bad that people in the stores wouldn't buy a computer because it had ME installed on it...

I'm just going on tales from family and friends. I wasn't old enough to buy a computer back then!
  • Reply 22 of 41
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    When did digitimes become reliable all of the sudden?
  • Reply 23 of 41
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    I can scarcely believe anyone would seriously give credence to this article.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

I think Microsoft already killed that thought. ME was supposedly so bad that people in the stores wouldn't buy a computer because it had ME installed on it...

You are not wrong there... Windows Me was a total abortion of an operating system.

I upgraded my Windows 98SE install to it and lasted 2 agonisingly painful days before reformatting my drive jumping ship back to 98...

It was so bad it makes vista look like a premium quality product...
  • Reply 25 of 41
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

International smartphone vendors, including Samsung, HTC, Nokia and LG, are rumored to be waiting until the second quarter to release new handset models in order to avoid direct competition with Apple's hot-selling iPhone 4S.

<removed the remaining nonsense>

What you call rumor I call sheer idiocy. Sony Xperia, Samsung Galaxy Note, LG Prada -- all new models coming out now. Some fact-checking before you reprint BS?

And then cue all the knee-jerk brainless responses, as if this was real news...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Makes sense, it sucks for us consumers but I can see them waiting...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

Brilliant timing, copycats. Just in time to be blown out of existence by the iPhone 5...

Morons.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daramouthe View Post

That's right. Blow them sky high out of the water Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

What a bunch of p******. Apple doesn't wait for anybody to release their phone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

i guess they will never release another phone? I guess there's that two week period when the iphone 5 will be announced and when it goes on sale. Then again, people will complain that it's not the iphone 5S.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

At least this points out the real reason instead of claiming they holding off announcements out of respect for Steve Jobs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pridon View Post

Maybe they are holding off because they don't want to have to recall them after Android is blocked. They may have to bring them out as Windows Phones or whatever operating systme the "copiests" are trying to "develop".

• Reply 26 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

What you call rumor I call sheer idiocy. Sony Xperia, Samsung Galaxy Note, LG Prada -- all new models coming out now. Some fact-checking before you reprint BS?

And then cue all the knee-jerk brainless responses, as if this was real news...

Aren't those three updates of existing models? Isn't the Prada years old? Nothing actually NEW here, then...
  • Reply 27 of 41
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Aren't those three updates of existing models? Isn't the Prada years old? Nothing actually NEW here, then...

Yeah, and the iPhone 4S is a new type of device that the world had never seen before... please... I didn't even check the release dates for these models, if I was going to use minor updates as an argument I could say Razr MAXX, not that it matters. The sole premise of this "article" -- that other vendors are "scared" -- is wrong.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

Apple has never used nomenclature that doesn't correspond to the version of the iPhone HW.

Only in a very lose way that is clear only in hindsight.

Quote:

iPhone 3G was named so because it contained the 3G HW.

iPhone 3GS was named so because it was the iPhone 3G but speedier.

iPhone 4 was named so because it was the 4th release of the HW (also contained iOS 4 and the A4 chip).

iPhone 4S was named so because it was the iPhone 4 but speedier.

Sure. There is no argument here. But not much of a pattern either...

Quote:

If Apple calls it the iPhone 5 it will be an unprecedented move. You might as well say they'll call it the iPhone 4T because T comes after S.

Claiming that iPhone 5 would be an "unprecedented" move is debatable--but even if one grants you that, it doesn't mean it won't happen. Skipping over a number (from 4 to 6) is also unprecedented.

The problem is that, so far, the naming system has been lurching and unpredictable (except in hindsight). And there are only a few in the series. Again, I am not crusading against "6". I just hold out the possibility that Apple could go with the:

iPhone 4T (if you want to have it here)

iPhone 4G (as some have proposed)

iPhone 4L (for LTE)

iPhone 5 (because that is what the general public expects)

iPhone 6 (because it is obvious )
  • Reply 29 of 41
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

iPhone

iPhone 3G

iPhone 3GS

iPhone 4

iPhone 4S

iPhone ?

These are just model numbers, they don't have to make sense. The only pattern here is naming for hardware design revisions...

Original hardware design

iPhone

2nd generation design

iPhone 3G

iPhone 3GS

3rd generation design

iPhone 4

iPhone 4GS

Next generation design

iPhone WGAF (Who Gives A Frack)

Why do people get so bent out of shape over something as stupid as this? The fact that Apple has been able to carry the same industrial design for two years probably frustrates the hell out of its competitors... It's proving one thing, users are more interested in the experience the software provides.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

iPhone ME. That's the next one!

iPhone iME?
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

i guess they will never release another phone? I guess there's that two week period when the iphone 5 will be announced and when it goes on sale. Then again, people will complain that it's not the iphone 5S.

Yeah, and the news media will complain that the iPhone 5 didn't have the features they wanted and how it's a disappointment. That will be the news until the next quarter results come out and quiets them down.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It should be noted, however, that DigiTimes' sources have at times proved less than reliable and should be met with some skepticism.

You misspelled "DigiTimes has been wrong about virtually every claim they've ever made".
  • Reply 33 of 41
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Only in a very lose way that is clear only in hindsight.

Sure. There is no argument here. But not much of a pattern either...

Claiming that iPhone 5 would be an "unprecedented" move is debatable--but even if one grants you that, it doesn't mean it won't happen. Skipping over a number (from 4 to 6) is also unprecedented.

You mean like Final Cut Pro 7 ----> Final Cut Pro 10?

I couldn't care less what they call it - and am really amazed that there's so much energy invested into the argument. It will either have features good enough to make me upgrade or it won't. I can't see how the name matters one bit.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ko024 View Post

It will be called iPhone 4G

I agree it will have a 4G/LTE chip. So 4G makes some sense, but not sold...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

These are just model numbers, they don't have to make sense. The only pattern here is naming for hardware design revisions...

Original hardware design

iPhone

2nd generation design

iPhone 3G

iPhone 3GS

3rd generation design

iPhone 4

iPhone 4GS

Next generation design

iPhone WGAF (Who Gives A Frack)

Why do people get so bent out of shape over something as stupid as this? The fact that Apple has been able to carry the same industrial design for two years probably frustrates the hell out of its competitors... It's proving one thing, users are more interested in the experience the software provides.

HA!

Just go back to iPhone. End the naming nonsense. I mean, the biggest "disappointment" from the 4S was that it wasn't called the 5. WHO CARES? They are all iPhones.

iPods don't have numbers associated with them. Yes there was the 3G, 4G, 5G, 5.5G, but nothing people called them. They were iPods.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    Oh, good. Time for hat ring throwing into to tie up these loose ends.

Quote:

If you see a pattern there that clearly and unequivocally shows that the next in the sequence is iPhone 6, that is great for you. But as long as people have been squawking about it, no one has convinced me that 6 is the only suffix possible for the next iPhone.

And even I'm not petitioning that. Our idea is simply to get people off the completely wrong thinking that it will be called the iPhone 5.

Quote:

Apple has absolutely shown that they will use numbers that don't correspond with the actual version number of the phone.

The iPhone and iPhone 4 want to have a word with you.

Quote:

You might as well say they'll call it the iPhone 4T because T comes after S.

That? that IS their line of thinking, though. Don't give them ideas. They'll start saying "4T is for 4g Telephony."

Quote:

Apple has explicitly stated that they're going to let the carriers say what is and is not 4G. And this doesn't work in the dozens of countries that don't have LTE. It's false advertising.

Quote:

iPhone 4T (if you want to have it here)

iPhone 4G (as some have proposed)

iPhone 4L (for LTE)

iPhone 5 (because that is what the general public expects)

iPhone 6 (because it is obvious )

4T: He was making a joke about how the people on the other side claim 5 is a legitimate name for "marketing purposes".

4G: As I said earlier, Apple has made that not their call.

4L: Letter smaller than S; I doubt it. If anything, it would be iPhone LTE.

5: Screw what they expect. That's completely meaningless. Everyone expected iPhone 2, and Apple didn't give us that.

6: Well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by starbird View Post

Just go back to iPhone. End the naming nonsense. I mean, the biggest "disappointment" from the 4S was that it wasn't called the 5. WHO CARES? They are all iPhones.

You can't do this when you sell three years' worth of product at once. It's too confusing. Otherwise I'd agree entirely.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You mean like Final Cut Pro 7 ----> Final Cut Pro 10?

The argument over the next "number" of the iPhone always provides entertainment
  • Reply 37 of 41
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Ok boardroom members, our strategy is to wait until the market is completely saturated with Apple's iPhone4s, THEN, here's the exciting part, we will launch OUR new phone, and target the dummy, low end consumers, and pick up whatever remaining table scraps that Apple leaves us. Sound good? WHO'S WITH ME?!?!
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

Ok boardroom members, our strategy is to wait until the market is completely saturated with Apple's iPhone4s, THEN, here's the exciting part, we will launch OUR new phone, and target the dummy, low end consumers, and pick up whatever remaining table scraps that Apple leaves us. Sound good? WHO'S WITH ME?!?!

Amazon is.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:

Bingo.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Bingo.

Apple has explicitly stated that they're going to let the carriers say what is and is not 4G. And this doesn't work in the dozens of countries that don't have LTE. It's false advertising.

Otherwise I'd agree with you.