Samsung target of official EU antitrust probe

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

IIRC the Moto case was won because Apple requested a "discriminatory" change to the FRAND patents that would allow them something no other licensee had...Moto rejected the deal and Apple used the tech regardless...not sure of all the details but I doubt it's something as stupid as what Samsung is suing over...I really wish HTC or Moto would step their games up and kick Samsung to the curb...they should be a components manufacturer or come back and do something more unique.

Doubtful.

Well I'll raise your doubtful with a "They already have" on a preliminary investigation basis -- that was awhile ago. I think the formal announcement of a formal investigation will be forthcoming unless Moto is already in negotiations with the EU Commission to unravel FRAND issues.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

This will be interesting.

Samsung employs crazy tactics, not dissimilar to north Korea. They just got

What they deserve. Am surprised apple is still doing huge business with them.

Apple should explain themselves to investors why they continue to do business

With these gangsters. Eventually they will get burned with Samsung.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Justice is sweet.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I don't like these kind of probes. Look what it did to Microsoft. I don't like their products, sure, but I don't wish this upon them.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    So is there any similar FRAND abuse investigation going on in the US? Or is it really only EU that is doing anything to protect (US companies) against FRAND assaults?
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drax7 View Post

Samsung employs crazy tactics, not dissimilar to north Korea. They just got

What they deserve. Am surprised apple is still doing huge business with them.

Apple should explain themselves to investors why they continue to do business

With these gangsters. Eventually they will get burned with Samsung.

****************** CONGRATULATIONS **********************

**___________You just won a Kim-Jong Il Point_____________**

** __________________________________________________ _____**

** __________________________ ****________________________ **

** _______________________ *** ***________________________ **

** ____________________________ **________________________ **

** __________________________________________________ ____ **

** __________________________________________________ ____ **

** ______Please take a hammer and cut it out from________ **

**________________your computer screen__________________ **

**________________________________________________ _______ **

• Reply 27 of 32
    Wish they had the EU in S. Korea. Samsung would get shut down. No single company controls any large country the way Samsung control S. Korea. They deserve this.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Apparently in the Samsung case, Apple did try to license the patent and Samsung wasn't Fair/Reasonable so Apple didn't pay.

Apple didnt bother to pay. Period. They never initiated any deals with Samsung before using the FRAND patents.

The question is whether Apple needs to pay the royalty payments as a user of Qualcomm's chips.

People are forgetting how the justice system works: innocent until proven guilty.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

IIRC the Moto case was won because Apple requested a "discriminatory" change to the FRAND patents that would allow them something no other licensee had...Moto rejected the deal and Apple used the tech regardless...not sure of all the details but I doubt it's something as stupid as what Samsung is suing over...I really wish HTC or Moto would step their games up and kick Samsung to the curb...they should be a components manufacturer or come back and do something more unique.

Doubtful.

Apple "lost" a GPRS patent dispute with Moto.

GPRS is something that is not used by Apple. Apple uses 2G and EDGE. Non of those are GPRS.

2G ---> GPRS ---> EDGE ---> 3Gv1 384Kbit ---> 3G 1.4Mbit ---> 3G 7Mbit, 14, 21 ---> LTE

Apple will win an appeal.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

GPRS is something that is not used by Apple.

Of course it is. When you don't have EDGE service on your iPhone, it defaults to GPRS if that's nearby. I've seen it happen on my own device.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

What about Motorola? Unlike Samsung, they succesfully won a case against Apple in Germany using a FRAND patent (which surprised a lot of people). Yet they haven't exercised their right and asked for the ban (which they are entitled to).

Every time that has been reported, it has also been suggested that FRAND was initially offered to Apple, and they rejected some of the terms.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tinman0 View Post

I'm sure Moto will be hearing from the EC about that soon.

Didn't Apple reject part of the FRAND terms in that case? You assume way too much.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Apple didnt bother to pay. Period. They never initiated any deals with Samsung before using the FRAND patents.

The question is whether Apple needs to pay the royalty payments as a user of Qualcomm's chips.

People are forgetting how the justice system works: innocent until proven guilty.

You forget that people on here only care if Apple wins regardless of circumstances.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    eric475eric475 Posts: 177member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post

Wish they had the EU in S. Korea. Samsung would get shut down. No single company controls any large country the way Samsung control S. Korea. They deserve this.

Samsung's success equates to a rich corporate tax revenue stream for S. Korea. So why would any EU-like organization in South Korea attempt to hurt the nation's tax revenues by shutting down the biggest company? Not only would 100,000+ employees lose their jobs if Samsung were shut down but all of their suppliers would go down too. That would make the S. Korean administration mighty popular if they destroyed domestic jobs, wouldn't it?