Whee! Another major breakthrough in cloning tech

brbr
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
<a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1676240.stm"; target="_blank">http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1676240.stm</a>;

"Life begins at fertilization and that's why we it's wrong to create embryos to murder for their stem cells." That's the typical rhetoric of anti-abortion, anti-science people. Well, that argument now gets blown to shit.

BEHOLD! VIRGIN EMBYROS! *No sperm necessary.

So, if scientists can now coax eggs to spontaneously divide and then harvest stem cells from the "virgin embryos", can we finally move forward as a society and embrace life-saving stem cell research without having the religious conservatives trying to keep us firmly planted in the dark ages?

Will all of you who opposed stem cell research on the basis that it destroyed fertilized embryos now change your minds?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    This is a very old technique that was originally pioneered on the Virgin Mary.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    [quote]Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath:

<strong>This is a very old technique that was originally pioneered on the Virgin Mary.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Jesus isn't so special anymore.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    There is no ban on stem cell research.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>There is no ban on stem cell research.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Of course not...Bush just wants to ban the other methods of obtaining stem cells...Thankfully this method looks promising.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Of course. If this method will cause the least friction, then it should be exploited so we can move on and reap the benefits of SC research. Personally, I am anxiously awaiting to see the benfits.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    [quote]Originally posted by BR:

<strong>

Of course not...Bush just wants to ban the other methods of obtaining stem cells...Thankfully this method looks promising.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What makes you say that? Has he sponsored a bill to ban stem cell research?
  • Reply 7 of 36
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>

What makes you say that? Has he sponsored a bill to ban stem cell research?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you completely obtuse and ignorant of world events? Quit opening your mouth when you know nothing about what's going on.

<a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1677327.stm"; target="_blank">http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1677327.stm</a>;

Bush completely disapproves of saving lives by harvesting stem cells.

[ 11-26-2002: Message edited by: BR ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 36
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member

<strong>

Jesus isn't so special anymore.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Let me know when you get a child that is the defacto son of God out of this. Or at least when you get a living, healthy child out of this.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    [quote]Originally posted by NoahJ:

<strong>

Let me know when you get a child that is the defacto son of God out of this. Or at least when you get a living, healthy child out of this. </strong><hr></blockquote>

We don't want living healthy children out of this. We want stem cells. Are you opposed? No fertilization necessary!
  • Reply 10 of 36

<strong>

We don't want living healthy children out of this. We want stem cells. Are you opposed? No fertilization necessary!</strong><hr></blockquote>

The post was in reply to your: Jesus isn't so special anymore.

Keep it in context.

As far as the rest of the topic is concerned, I have still not made up my mind. Although riding the fence is starting to give me a wedgie...
  • Reply 11 of 36

<strong>

The post was in reply to your: Jesus isn't so special anymore. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Virgin births are overrated. It's not really such a big deal anymore.

Virgin births, now 100% god free!

[quote]I'm riding the fence.<hr></blockquote>

The argument that life is created when sperm meets egg and thus destroying embryos is destroying life is NULLIFIED. Game over. Victory for mankind.
  • Reply 12 of 36

<strong>Virgin births are overrated. It's not really such a big deal anymore.

Virgin births, now 100% god free!

and

The argument that life is created when sperm meets egg and thus destroying embryos is destroying life is NULLIFIED. Game over. Victory for mankind.</strong><hr></blockquote>

BR, your argument seems to be Man = God. If so that is really Sad
  • Reply 13 of 36

<strong>

BR, your argument seems to be Man = God. If so that is really Sad </strong><hr></blockquote>

No, I'm joking about the virgin birth stuff. It is utterly hilarious and vindicating because people held it on such a high freakin' pedestal. It's not all that special apparently. A few horomones and ZIING!

I am being serious though about the argument against harvesting stem cells being blown out of the water.
  • Reply 14 of 36

<strong>

No, I'm joking about the virgin birth stuff. It is utterly hilarious and vindicating because people held it on such a high freakin' pedestal. It's not all that special apparently. A few horomones and ZIING!

I am being serious though about the argument against harvesting stem cells being blown out of the water.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Joking. I see.

Umm, virgin births are no big deal now because of modern medicine. However, how many virigns give birth without the involvement of modern medicine now, and over the time of history. Only 1 documented case. Pretty special still if you ask me.

As far as the stem cell harvesting, don't push me, I am making up my own mind. If you do not recall I had not made a decision one way or the other before, I was merely playing devils advocate as none else would.
  • Reply 15 of 36

<strong>

Are you completely obtuse and ignorant of world events? Quit opening your mouth when you know nothing about what's going on.

<a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1677327.stm"; target="_blank">http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1677327.stm</a>;

Bush completely disapproves of saving lives by harvesting stem cells.

[ 11-26-2002: Message edited by: BR ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I can't ask a ****ing question? **** you.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Don't ride that fence very hard! If you do you may cause permanent damage, and become forced to support this methodology no matter what.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    [quote]Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath:

<strong>Don't ride that fence very hard! If you do you may cause permanent damage, and become forced to support this methodology no matter what.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have 2 kids already, no worries here.
  • Reply 17 of 36

<strong>

Joking. I see.

Umm, virgin births are no big deal now because of modern medicine. However, how many virigns give birth without the involvement of modern medicine now, and over the time of history. Only 1 documented case. Pretty special still if you ask me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I question the validity of that "documentation."
  • Reply 19 of 36

<strong>

I have 2 kids already, no worries here.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's a scary thought.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    asaphasaph Posts: 176member
    I think this new research is pretty fascinating... I've never been against this sort of research or practice, just against the idea of killing one person flippantly to save another. I always thought it was unfair/unjust to the unborn. But now that the 'killing' portion of that process has been dealt with, I'm excited to see where it can go. At the same time lets hope this closes a bit of the rift between the lifers and choicers... We may not agree on other things, but we can certainly both see the benifits of this new method.