Rumor: Apple to hold 'strange' event in Feb. ahead of March third-gen iPad launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 103
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Aside from a short comedy stunt performed by Ballmer together with a chimp, there will be Elop talking with a robot voice from a burning platform, a former CEO from RIM to tell about market share, and Balsillie to lecture on profitability. Schmidt will give an inspired speech about trust, and an unnamed Samsung executive will show off his trademark jeans and black turtleneck...
  • Reply 22 of 103
    2012 APPLE INC. Annual Meeting of Stockholders

MEETING DATE: February 23, 2012
  • Reply 23 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquia33 View Post

2012 APPLE INC. Annual Meeting of Stockholders

MEETING DATE: February 23, 2012

Thanks for the sanity. Not.
  • Reply 24 of 103
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Sounds like a mistranslation of "special" to me.
  • Reply 25 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Or they announce the iMonkeyBoy, a program to create entertaining new executives!
  • Reply 26 of 103
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) It can't be any more strange than what Asus and Samsung do on stage.

2) I wouldn't be surprised to see a larger iPod Touch, perhaps even a 5-8" Touch.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

Apple might announce that it has developed a breast implant that can store and play music. The iTit will cost from $499 to $699, depending on cup and speaker size. This is considered a major social breakthrough ... because women are always complaining about men staring at their breasts and not listening to them.

Nice switch of the third person plural pronoun at the end. Very clever.
  • Reply 27 of 103
    It's a confusing translation of the Japanese word 珍しい, which can mean "strange" but here is more like "unusual."

Here's my translation of the blogger's original Japanese. I'm an American living in Kyoto, and I majored in Japanese in college.

<<

Earlier, according to information from Asian suppliers and the US, I forecasted that Apple would hold a Special Event in early February. However, I have found this information to be incorrect in some sense; it appears that the February event is to be something heretofore unusual for Apple.

It seems that a Special Event in regard to new products will be held in early March.

>>

Basically, he's saying that the February event would be something rare and unusual for the Apple we have known. I suspect this is likely a hint having to do with this being the first major product introduction since the death of Steve Jobs.

By the way, how about that Gizmodo.jp rumor? Check it out. Looks pretty fake to me, though it seems to have blown up all over Japan today.

www.gizmodo.jp/2012/02/iphone_5_13.html
  • Reply 28 of 103
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    I think "STRANGE" actually means "SPECIAL" and that something was lost in translation btwn Japanese & English. Lol
  • Reply 29 of 103
    Quote:

Apple might announce that it has developed a breast implant that can store and play music. The iTit will cost from $499 to $699, depending on cup and speaker size. This is considered a major social breakthrough ... because women are always complaining about men staring at their breasts and not listening to them.

I think I got this chain e-mail joke a couple years ago... Prescient?
  • Reply 30 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rednaxela View Post

By the way, how about that Gizmodo.jp rumor? Check it out. Looks pretty fake to me, though it seems to have blown up all over Japan today.

Probably fake... but I like it!

edit: definitely fake text, at the very least... "4.3 inches screen, chip dual-core a6... The revolution passes through the evolution" haha. Plus, there's no way the 6th iPhone will be called "iPhone 5"
  • Reply 31 of 103
    Ballmer will be banished to the land of wind and ghosts.
  • Reply 32 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

I think "STRANGE" actually means "SPECIAL" and that something was lost in translation btwn Japanese & English. Lol

Yeah, I think this means it's just something they haven't done before. Probably a reference to Steve Jobs not being there anymore.
  • Reply 33 of 103
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

Apple will announce it's secession from the United States, move all employees to the new campus plot where they will live underground until the construction is complete. Anyone who wishes to visit will require a passport and will need to undergo a rigorous approval process.

Either that, or they will change the name of the company to Peach.

This is my favourite suggestion and would actually make sense, they could transfer all their overseas cash and not pay tax. The Independent State of Apple.
  • Reply 34 of 103
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Article correction> The pixel density would be 264, not 254. Well, 263.92, but who's counting?
  • Reply 35 of 103
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    Quote:

I'm speechless - your comment was brilliant!
  • Reply 36 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

Apple to hold 'strange' event in Feb...

Perhaps they are getting Steve Ballmer as a guest presenter. Now that would be strange.

Tim is stepping down. Monkey Boy is taking his place.

Oh... sorry... my mistake... the story says "strange", not "completely and utterly fucked up".
  • Reply 37 of 103
    Quote:

It's a confusing translation of the Japanese word 珍しい, which can mean "strange" but here is more like "unusual."

In this context, they mean the same thing, so it works out.

Quote:

100% fake. No question.
  • Reply 38 of 103
    This looks like announcements from the shareholder's meeting.

Either a dividend or a stock split (I hope) or both. The announcement could come at the shareholder's meeting. I bet that is the event.
  • Reply 39 of 103
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Here's my translation of the blogger's original Japanese. I'm an American living in Kyoto, and I majored in Japanese in college.

<<

Earlier, according to information from Asian suppliers and the US, I forecasted that Apple would hold a Special Event in early February. However, I have found this information to be incorrect in some sense; it appears that the February event is to be something heretofore unusual for Apple.

It seems that a Special Event in regard to new products will be held in early March.

>>

Basically, he's saying that the February event would be something rare and unusual for the Apple we have known. I suspect this is likely a hint having to do with this being the first major product introduction since the death of Steve Jobs.

I clearly don't read Japanese, so I'm relying entirely on your translation. As I read that, he's saying "I earlier said that there would be a special event in February, but that was a mistake. A February event would be unusual for Apple." This would suggest that the event he earlier predicted would be in March rather than in February. IOW, nothing to get excited about - and no reason to believe that they'll have a Feb AND a March event.

Quote:

Hint: Never believe anything Gizmodo says.
  • Reply 40 of 103
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

Actually some would argue that the iBooks 2/iBook Author launch was the first major product introduction since the death of Steve Jobs.

While the iPhone 5 on the Gizmodo site is obviously a fake, it is very nice!