Rumor: Apple to hold 'strange' event in Feb. ahead of March third-gen iPad launch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 103
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rednaxela View Post

It's a confusing translation of the Japanese word 珍しい, which can mean "strange" but here is more like "unusual."

Here's my translation of the blogger's original Japanese. I'm an American living in Kyoto, and I majored in Japanese in college.

<<

Earlier, according to information from Asian suppliers and the US, I forecasted that Apple would hold a Special Event in early February. However, I have found this information to be incorrect in some sense; it appears that the February event is to be something heretofore unusual for Apple.

It seems that a Special Event in regard to new products will be held in early March.

>>

Basically, he's saying that the February event would be something rare and unusual for the Apple we have known. I suspect this is likely a hint having to do with this being the first major product introduction since the death of Steve Jobs.

By the way, how about that Gizmodo.jp rumor? Check it out. Looks pretty fake to me, though it seems to have blown up all over Japan today.

www.gizmodo.jp/2012/02/iphone_5_13.html

Thanks, that seems a far better nuance.

A new product isn't unusual to me, unless it is indeed a product Apple wouldn't nornally produce (Car radios / navigation for example). 'Unusual' would mean to me not 'how Steve might have done it' ... so perhaps a new Tim Cook-esque event? If that were true then it opens up a plethora of possibilities ranging from a stock split to a one time dividend or maybe a major acquisition (Apple usually buy small companies) such as the company Apple helped get started, ARM. I doubt the latter since we would have heard a leak by now.
  • Reply 42 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dbtinc View Post

I'm speechless - your comment was brilliant!

That joke has been going around the internet for a decade!
  • Reply 43 of 103
    The event will be a tribute to Steve Jobs on his Birthday which is February 24th.
  • Reply 44 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JQPURDUE View Post

The event will be a tribute to Steve Jobs on his Birthday which is February 24th.

You may have nailed it.
  • Reply 45 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JQPURDUE View Post

We've already had a tribute to Steve Jobs. If the event is on his birthday, it would be given a nod at the beginning and then they'd go about their business. I can't think of a legitimate reason for it to happen on his birthday, though.
  • Reply 46 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We've already had a tribute to Steve Jobs. If the event is on his birthday, it would be given a nod at the beginning and then they'd go about their business. I can't think of a legitimate reason for it to happen on his birthday, though.

Fair enough then. So what are we left with? I love a good mystery I doubt a product so that leaves what ... a policy shift?
  • Reply 47 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Fair enough then. So what are we left with? I love a good mystery I doubt a product so that leaves what ... a policy shift?

I still say iPad 3 announcement, a month (5 weeks) of preorders, and the iPad 2's price being dropped to $399 on the day of announcement.

That gives people a month's notice to buy the old product if they want it NOW… so as not to steal sales from the iPad 3 on launch day, like the following:

"Dum de dum, going to buy an iPad 2… Oh, hey, the iPad 3's out! I'll get… say, the 2 is $399? I'll get that instead!"

With a month at the new price and the simple knowledge of the new iPad, those that want the old one can get the old one and have time to think about whether they want to swap it out or keep it without taking sales from the iPad 3.
  • Reply 48 of 103
    Quote:

I still say iPad 3 announcement, a month (5 weeks) of preorders, and the iPad 2's price being dropped to $399 on the day of announcement.

That gives people a month's notice to buy the old product if they want it NOW… so as not to steal sales from the iPad 3 on launch day, like the following:

"Dum de dum, going to buy an iPad 2… Oh, hey, the iPad 3's out! I'll get… say, the 2 is $399? I'll get that instead!"

With a month at the new price and the simple knowledge of the new iPad, those that want the old one can get the old one and have time to think about whether they want to swap it out or keep it without taking sales from the iPad 3.

Okay, I see what you are saying. The 'unusual' is policy change then, i.e. pre announcing with prices. The thing is they'd be spoiling the big unveiling unless they only mention iPad 3 by name with no specifics ... that might work. I'd still love to see a stock split (yes I know it makes no difference mathematically bla bla bla).
  • Reply 49 of 103
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

I'm voting for a new iMac...

http://www.fudzilla.com/processors/i...on-february-13

Never in an Imac. MacPro in other hand...

BTW

I want the event to be iOS6 beta event. NFC, 3D maps and all that good stuff. Makes an Iphone possible in 3-4 month. Just in time for WWDC.
  • Reply 50 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Never in an Imac. MacPro in other hand...

BTW

I want the event to be iOS6 beta event. NFC, 3D maps and all that good stuff. Makes an Iphone possible in 3-4 month. Just in time for WWDC.

Not saying that wouldn't be awesome .. But why would that be unusual? Oh wait ... Apple 3D maps .... drool ...
  • Reply 51 of 103
    Quote:

Not saying that wouldn't be awesome .. But why would that be unusual? Oh wait ... maps .... drool ...

It's going to include a transporter...
  • Reply 52 of 103
    Quote:

That gives people a month's notice to buy the old product if they want it NOW? so as not to steal sales from the iPad 3 on launch day, like the following:

"Dum de dum, going to buy an iPad 2? Oh, hey, the iPad 3's out! I'll get? say, the 2 is $399? I'll get that instead!"

Apple would never have 5 weeks lead time. They would loose billions in Ipad3 sales.

History tells us that Apple update products are released 1-3 weeks before the public can have it in hand.

Apple also needs to ramp up Ipad 3 production. Apple will sell millions on launch day depending on how many markets they release it in.
  • Reply 53 of 103
    Quote:

Apple would never have 5 weeks lead time. They would loose billions in Ipad3 sales.

History tells us that Apple update products are released 1-3 weeks before the public can have it in hand.

Apple also needs to ramp up Ipad 3 production. Apple will sell millions on launch day depending on how many markets they release it in.

Many a product was launched with Steve saying ... "And you can order on line later today!" to rounds of cheers. /sigh ... miss Steve
  • Reply 54 of 103
    Quote:

Not saying that wouldn't be awesome .. But why would that be unusual? Oh wait ... Apple 3D maps .... drool ...

Apple bought a C3 to integrate in iOS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Q5lM_KefDkg

The February event could be this software? I love the youtube demo.
  • Reply 55 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

It's going to include a transporter...

I nearly made that joke earlier ... They's have to add a second voice Siri and Scotty!
  • Reply 56 of 103
    Quote:

Apple bought a C3 to integrate in iOS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Q5lM_KefDkg

Absolutely and no reason not to be in OS X too. Another nail in Google's coffin.

Olympics tie in???

That Seinfeld ad was good too!
  • Reply 57 of 103
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

I'm voting for a new iMac...

http://www.fudzilla.com/processors/i...on-february-13

Unlikely to be worthy of a whole event. Unless the event is just a Town Hall meeting (not a huge media event) and they talk perhaps about all the computers.

Other possibles I think would be

1. it is the iPad 3 announcement and the source was wrong about dates. This event could be mid to late february with the launch a week or two later

2. it is the apple tv announcement. if it is a new actual tv there might be FCC approvals that would expose it just like with the first phone and iPad so they announce now and we see it in early summer. Same perhaps if it a black box that can act as a cable box/controller

3. it is about iTunes store offerings rather than hardware.
  • Reply 58 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

Apple might announce that it has developed a breast implant that can store and play music. The iTit will cost from $499 to $699, depending on cup and speaker size. This is considered a major social breakthrough ... because women are always complaining about men staring at their breasts and not listening to them.

What about us guys...

We need something for our Fruit Of The Looms!

...I won't even mention the possibilities for a boom box.

• Reply 59 of 103
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

As an Apple stockholder I view the rumor mill as more good than bad.

I agree with you for the most part. But there is the dark side of the rumors getting folks so worked up over an idea that when it doesn't happen, the value drops. No good in my book. The whole iPhone 4s/5 is a great recent example of this.
  • Reply 60 of 103
    PowerBook G5?