Apple rolls out Mac OS X Lion, Snow Leopard updates

Comments

• Reply 81 of 104
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    Very please with the Lion update. It seem to work well on my two Macbook pros and my two Mac Mini's.

I backed up my mini server and tried Lion Server again. Unfortunately, is still in desperate need of several major bug fixes in the email, Hosting Multiple Web Sites, WebDev, SFTP, etc....

I have finally learned how to manually configure everything I need in Lion (so machine can perform all of the server functions I need), so I do not really need Lion Server, However, if you are still using Snow Leopard server, I would NOT recommend moving to Lion Server at this time. There are still way to many bugs in Lion Server's configuration tools and Snow Leopard server still just works....
  • Reply 82 of 104
    1 Mac Pro(mid 2010) - automatic software update successful. However every program crashes after the update so I say: Thank you Apple for Time Machine(I have downgraded to 10.7.2 now).

No, repair disk permissions didn´t help either...
  • Reply 83 of 104
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    I have issues with connecting to a Lion box from a Snow Leopard box on a private LAN when the Lion box has no password. Hopefully this fixes that.
  • Reply 84 of 104
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

The last time an Apple update messed up my Mac was the infamous System 7.5.3.

You've been consistent in your posts with Apple bashing.

Spare us the fanboy insults when the majority report no problems with their systems.

I wouldn't call myself an Apple basher, quite the contrary. But I will bash fanboys regardless of their persuasion. Blind allegiance to anything is dangerous. I don't understand people who want to make believe no problem exists for anyone. How dare someone complain.
  • Reply 85 of 104
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dm3 View Post

I wouldn't call myself an Apple basher, quite the contrary. But I will bash fanboys regardless of their persuasion. Blind allegiance to anything is dangerous. I don't understand people who want to make believe no problem exists for anyone. How dare someone complain.

Show me one post where anyone said the problem doesn't exist for anyone? I can show you your post where you told everyone to stay away from this update.

You should realise that EVERY SINGLE FRACKING Mac OS update will FUBAR a few users Macs. By your rationale no one should ever update their OS because someone will be negatively affected by it.
  • Reply 86 of 104
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Finally managed to get everything working after getting the error below via Software Update:

Strangely enough, when I went to turn off my Mac last night, I was then prompted to either 'Install Update then Shutdown' or just 'Shutdown'. I chose the latter.

Here are the steps that I took before downloading/installing update:

1) Turn off iMac

2) Unplug TimeMachine HD

3) Restart iMac and launch Disk Utility

4) Verify / Repair Macintosh HD

5) Download Lion 10.7.3 Client Combo

6) Install Update and let iMac restart

7) Turn off iMac and plug-in TimeMachine HD

8) Turn on iMac and let TimeMachine do its thing (took about an hour)

Everything ran smoothly and system seems to be woking fine.

EDIT: One strange thing - VLC Player was unselected as my default player for .mkv files on my external HD.

This was easily resolved by right-clicking on movie file, selecting 'Get Info', and changing the Open with application to VLC. Finally I ensured Change All was selected...

Hope this helps
  • Reply 87 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Here are the steps that I took before downloading/installing update:

1) Turn off iMac

2) Unplug TimeMachine HD

3) Restart iMac and launch Disk Utility

4) Verify / Repair Macintosh HD

5) Download Lion 10.7.3 Client Combo

6) Install Update and let iMac restart

7) Turn off iMac and plug-in TimeMachine HD

8) Turn on iMac and let TimeMachine do its thing (took about an hour)

Everything ran smoothly and system seems to be woking fine.

Hope this helps

Did you do most of these steps from the Recovery HD or from a regular system partition?
  • Reply 88 of 104
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    FWIW... After updating a remote system via control panel, Screen Sharing was unable to connect (Lion to Lion). Applying the combo updater to the target system seemed to fix it.
  • Reply 89 of 104
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Did you do most of these steps from the Recovery HD or from a regular system partition?

Regular System Partition.

There seemed to be a few errors on Permission regarding Java for some reason.

I don't know if this is why the Software Update failed last night (or maybe Apple Servers just busy). This was the first time I have ever had a problem doing any updates via Software Update.

Anyway, Disk Verification / Repair was successful...
  • Reply 90 of 104
    I just updated and I believe my heat and fan issues are resolved (at least for now).

I had an issue with Facetime and iChat as well as Photoshop causing rapid overheating. I almost returned my late 2011 17" Macbook Pro but decided not to.

After running the 10.7.3 update, I have tested all 3 applications and temps are running very cool with no audible fan noise.

Thank you, Apple.
  • Reply 91 of 104
    CCCCombo! The only way to fly. Sorry if it's been posted in this thread before, just again for reference: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1484

Off to the public library to download in a few hours (Gawd Bless Australiahh)
  • Reply 92 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

EDIT: One strange thing - VLC Player was unselected as my default player for .mkv files on my external HD.

This was easily resolved by right-clicking on movie file, selecting 'Get Info', and changing the Open with application to VLC. Finally I ensured Change All was selected...

Hope this helps

Ah AWESOME. The "Change All" seemed to be the trick. It seems to work better than "Always Open With..."
  • Reply 93 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I had that problem with my 5,1 last year. Does System Profiler indicate that the battery is bad? They replaced mine free of charge at the local Apple store, even though batteries are not apparently covered by AppleCare.

The 10.7.3 update was smooth. No problems.

Thanks for the feedback and it's good to know. That was very decent of Apple, but unfortunately mine says normal.

I had no problems with the 10.7.3 update and it looks to have changed something as I'm on track to pass the 3 hours mark.

I keep my system simple as it's used for iphoto, imovie, safari, etc. Basically, Macbook = pleasure, PC = work.
  • Reply 94 of 104
    Now, we will be working our tails off as the Security Update for 10.6.8 kills some or all Rosetta software. Already seeing issues pop up with clients. Namely Office 2004 gets killed. http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/03/...using-rosetta/
  • Reply 95 of 104
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Diffs are a tricky business, never trust the incremental updates.
  • Reply 96 of 104
    Always did Combo updates and never had a serious problem, apart a double restart once after first restart messed it.

Combo 10.7.3 went without Ã* glitch with all 5 machines.

People take too much for granted.
  • Reply 97 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Diffs are a tricky business, never trust the incremental updates.

I wish Software Update app had an option to always pull the Mac OS X Combo Updates from the server.
  • Reply 98 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Ah AWESOME. The "Change All" seemed to be the trick. It seems to work better than "Always Open With..."

Always Open With is specific to that one file. Change All is telling the system to always open that file extension with that app.

That is one of those things that I think are poorly placed in Mac OS X. You can add to that list default mail and browser apps. These should all be in System Preferences under a tab in Users & Groups, not in the apps.
  • Reply 99 of 104
    Quote:

Always Open With is specific to that one file. Change All is telling the system to always open that file extension with that app.

Cheers, thanks. It's quite obscure.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quantz View Post

Always did Combo updates and never had a serious problem, apart a double restart once after first restart messed it.

Combo 10.7.3 went without Ã* glitch with all 5 machines.

People take too much for granted.

Quote:

I wish Software Update app had an option to always pull the Mac OS X Combo Updates from the server.

Apple has pulled the Delta 10.7.3 update due to lots of crashing, apparently. Yet more reason to stick to Combo Updates. Yeah not sure why Software Update forces Delta-only, maybe for the regular folk?

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/02/ap...-delta-update/
  • Reply 100 of 104
    lennylenny Posts: 85member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Resolve a Wi-Fi connection issue when waking from sleep

This must be a joke! After updating my mid 2010 iMac, Wi Fi would not automatically reconnect to my network after sleep mode! Didn't have this problem with 10.7.2