Canalys crowns Apple top Smartphone vendor in 2011 as iPad surges past PC growth

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

Smartphones passed up PCs for the first time last year, with Apple leading that industry while iPad accounted for most of the growth among computers, alongside moderate sales of notebooks, nearly flat sales of desktops, and a sharp decrease in netbooks.

Apple now leading the pack at top smartphone vendor

Apple "smashed the record for the most smartphones shipped globally by any single vendor in one quarter" the report noted, with sales of 37 million iPhones that beat Nokia's previous quarterly record of 28.3 million.

"Apple’s performance meant that it displaced Nokia, for the first time, as the leading smart phone vendor by annual shipments," Canalys stated, turning around figures reported by Gartner in the third calendar quarter giving Samsung the lead.

Attack of the mobiles

The figures, reported Canalys, are interesting in that they highlight the trend toward mobile devices over the conventional PC.

"Vendors shipped 158.5 million smart phones in Q4 2011, up 57% on the 101.2 million units shipped in Q4 2010," the research firm noted. "This bumper quarter took total global shipments for the whole of 2011 to 487.7 million units, up 63% on the 299.7 million smart phones shipped throughout 2010. By comparison, the global client PC market grew 15% in 2011 to 414.6 million units, with 274% growth in pad shipments. Pads accounted for 15% of all client PC shipments in 2011."

In the report, Canalys VP and principle analyst Chris Jones wrote that "smartphone shipments overtaking those of client PCs should be seen as a significant milestone. In the space of a few years, smart phones have grown from being a niche product segment at the high-end of the mobile phone market to becoming a truly mass-market proposition."

Comparing smartphone sales to PCs is not the most controversial view of consumer electronics accounting Canalys has performed. The firm's counting of iPads among conventional PCs has perturbed Windows enthusiasts throughout the industry, as it fails to flatter Microsoft in the way that IDC and Gartner have historically bent over backward to do.

The firm's breakdown of desktops, notebooks, netbooks and "Pads" is particularly interesting because it demonstrates not just the tremendous growth of the iPad at the expense of conventional PCs, but the parallel shifts from desktops to notebooks, and the rapid collapse of netbooks, a market pundits once insisted Apple needed to enter to remain relevant.

Apple vs Android vs WP7

Specific to smartphone growth, Jones explained that while "the greater availability of smart phones at lower price points has helped tremendously," there has also occurred "a driving trend of increasing consumer appetite for Internet browsing, content consumption and engaging with apps and services on mobile devices," all facets of the smartphone market optimized and popularized by Apple with the iPhone.

The firm notes that it expects smartphone market growth to slow this year as "vendors exercise greater cost control and discipline, and put more focus on profitability," an issue highlighted by recent figures showing that Apple now makes 75 percent of the industry's profits while building just 9 percent of the phones sold.

Canalys noted that growth in shipments of Android licensees' products outpaced Apple's iPhone shipments in the quarter and in the year, but Android's percentage of growth over the previous year has slowed, from 244 percent in 2010 to 149 percent in the final quarter of the year. Apple's rate of growth in smartphones has accelerated.

The report stated that "Samsung’s success and focus on Android have contributed substantially to the growth of the platform, but other vendors, such as Sony Ericsson, Huawei, Motorola, LG and particularly HTC, have also seen significant growth in their Android volumes over the course of 2011." Looking at mobile profits rather than unit sales, Android licensees Sony Ericsson, Motorola and LG all failed to make any money in the last quarter.

The firm stated that "RIM’s demise in 2011 has been over played by some, with the company ending the year as the fourth largest smart phone vendor and delivering annual unit growth of 5%."

Canalys figures indicate that Samsung's Bada platform grew substantially over the past year, accounting for roughly double the shipments of Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 platform (which suffered a substantial, negative growth in sales for the year, shrinking by over 43 percent).

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I like their separation of PCs into: desktops, notebooks, netbooks and pads.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Comparing smartphone sales to PCs is not the most controversial view of consumer electronics accounting Canalys has performed. The firm's counting of iPads among conventional PCs has perturbed Windows enthusiasts throughout the industry, as it fails to flatter Microsoft in the way that IDC and Gartner have historically bent over backward to do.

But...but...a smartphone is not a PC!

/slappy
  • Reply 3 of 14
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I object to classifying Android phones as smartphones. Evidence shows that a great many Android phones are actually being used as dumbphones. Android shows extremely low representation on web visit statistics and Android is also greatly underrepresented in other areas. Basically, many Android users are not using their phones for normal purposes which other people use their smart phones for. If they're not surfing the web, and not buying apps and not connecting to the internet, then what the hell are Fandroids doing with their phones? These kind of people don't even need a "smartphone", a dumb phone is good enough for them, and a cheap Android phone fulfills that purpose perfectly.

The biggest emerging Android markets are in third world, developing markets, where people are dirt poor, technologically ignorant and that's a major reason as to why they can claim so many activations.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I object to classifying Android phones as smartphones. Evidence shows that a great many Android phones are actually being used as dumbphones. Android shows extremely low representation on web visit statistics and Android is also greatly underrepresented in other areas. Basically, many Android users are not using their phones for normal purposes which other people use their smart phones for. If they're not surfing the web, and not buying apps and not connecting to the internet, then what the hell are Fandroids doing with their phones? These kind of people don't even need a "smartphone", a dumb phone is good enough for them, and a cheap Android phone fulfills that purpose perfectly.

The biggest emerging Android markets are in third world, developing markets, where people are dirt poor, technologically ignorant and that's a major reason as to why they can claim so many activations.

like i already said, i'm "one of that kind of people". please show some respect.

obviously android phones must be considered smart, no matter what their owners do with them.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

like i already said, i'm "one of that kind of people". please show some respect.

obviously android phones must be considered smart, no matter what their owners do with them.

Please excuse Apple ][. If he had his way, he wouldn't even classify Android users as human beings, or even creatures worthy of breathing the same air as he.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    My math is not the greatest but if android just approached 250 million activations, and they sold 237 million in 2011 (as stated in the article). Then they only sold 20 million in all years before.......something doesn't seem correct.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

I can assure you that you were not on my mind when I was writing my reply and I also don't believe that I ever mentioned your name, so there is no need for you to be overly sensitive.

If you use an Android phone, then what do you want me to say? You have my condolences. Hopefully better times will fall upon you soon enough and you will one day be able to upgrade to the best phone and best OS on the market.

I don't have anything against you personally, I just think that your choice of phone and OS is horrible, that's all.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I can assure you that you were not on my mind when I was writing my reply and I also don't believe that I ever mentioned your name, so there is no need for you to be overly sensitive.

If you use an Android phone, then what do you want me to say? You have my condolences. Hopefully better times will fall upon you soon enough and you will one day be able to upgrade to the best phone and best OS on the market.

I don't have anything against you personally, I just think that your choice of phone and OS is horrible, that's all.

Well, i have a mac and i am an engineering (mechanical) student. I have enough knowledge to tell if my x10 mini pro is garbage or not.

Here 80% of the work force earns a 3GS per month (400euros) so usually expensive phones are out of question. android is by far the king of the cheap smartphones. my smartphone is pretty good for the average smartphone sold here. Even those that can buy iPhones will most likely buy a samsung or something similar, since portuguese's carrier ask for a 4th of our salary for charging as less as possible even if they provide crappy absurd plans for us, so iPhones are more expensive, we don't have any apple stores around etc.

i don't have the money to buy an iPhone, but don't you think for a second that you are/have the right to write something similar to your previously post. I see apple as a company that provides products that can't be considered "just" products, but i'm really tired of going to cnet, engadget, another tech site and watch the same sad persons saying that apple bought those sites, just like some apple insider members that are a) haters that must have a pretty empty life to come here just to say nonsense and b) guys like you.. not a hater but almost the same as them.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Well, i have a mac and i am an engineering (mechanical) student. I have enough knowledge to tell if my x10 mini pro is garbage or not.

Here 80% of the work force earns a 3GS per month (400euros) so usually expensive phones are out of question. android is by far the king of the cheap smartphones. my smartphone is pretty good for the average smartphone sold here. Even those that can buy iPhones will most likely buy a samsung or something similar, since portuguese's carrier ask for a 4th of our salary for charging as less as possible even if they provide crappy absurd plans for us, so iPhones are more expensive, we don't have any apple stores around etc.

i don't have the money to buy an iPhone, but don't you think for a second that you are/have the right to write something similar to your previously post. I see apple as a company that provides products that can't be considered "just" products, but i'm really tired of going to cnet, engadget, another tech site and watch the same sad persons saying that apple bought those sites, just like some apple insider members that are a) haters that must have a pretty empty life to come here just to say nonsense and b) guys like you.. not a hater but almost the same as them.

Well, listen. You flat out state that the iPhone is too expensive where you live. I can understand that, and that's a valid reason for not having one at the moment. iPhones and the data plans that go along with them are too expensive in many places, I don't disagree with that at all. Even here in the US, plans are too expensive and I find the data rates that those telecom companies charge to be ripoffs.

Your problem is that you are confusing yourself with a Fandroid. Based on what you wrote, you are obviously not a Fandroid, so whoever I am targeting, it is not you.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    It's funny how Bada outsells Windows Phone.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Please excuse Apple ][. If he had his way, he wouldn't even classify Android users as human beings, or even creatures worthy of breathing the same air as he.

Especially silly when so many of them are converting to iphones these days.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

Sadly AI has a few Sllort (reverse trolls)
  • Reply 13 of 14
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    What does Bada use as its search engine?

Bada Google or ... Bada Bing?!
  • Reply 14 of 14
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

What does Bada use as its search engine?

Bada Google or ... Bada Bing?!

Badda Ass!