Samsung Galaxy Note Super Bowl ad takes more jabs at Apple users

Comments

• Reply 181 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

Well call me a fanboy, but I don't really see what's the problem with that statement, except for the fact that (as it turns out) the stylus is not the _primary_ input method for the Galaxy Note.

As much as you probably disagree, I actually think you can safely say that it was the iPhone who made finger-based touchscreens popular. That doesn't mean Apple invented capacitive touchscreens, or that it was first to market using them, but it's hard to argue that the iPhone wasn't the first massively popular device that actually made good use of finger-based touch inputs, thanks to the fact that it was running the first mobile OS that was built for finger control from the ground up. 99% of all touch screen devices sold when the iPhone was released were using resistive screens, and it took about a year before they really hit mainstream for any of the other manufacturers.

So LG Prada had a capacitive screen before iphone, Jobs stole Jeff Han's multi-touch, and lied about macbook being the thinnest laptop, but what does that have to do with the article?
  • Reply 182 of 349
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) I think a lot of you are missing the point about the stylus. It's not a stylus in place of a capacitance touchscreen nor a stylus in place or your finger(s) as the main input method, it's simply a stylus with Wacom digitiser that allows for fine detail drawing and writing.

I think Apple will add this because there is an intrinsic usefulness but they need to also include the digitiser in order to make it useful. Older devices with resistive touchscreens weren't capacitive (obviously) nor were designed for general use without a stylus. This is what is Jobs was talking about, not that a finger is better than a stylus in every function.

Samsung has clearly beaten Apple to market with a sensitive Wacom digitiser on a capacitance touchscreen. It'll be interesting to see a review of any cost, thickness, power usage or performance (compared to other digitisers) that the Note for including this feature.

Also, how much do people really need a stylus? While it's nice to include the feature I'm not sure having the pen in the device is a great idea. I'd like for Apple to include the digitiser, plus any iOS APIs, and then sell the pens (or let 3rd-parties sell the pens) separately.

2) I liked that ad. I like that song from The Darkness. For a Super Bowl ad it was exciting and flashy. I'm not sure what consumer will look at the Note and think "I want device that is 1/10th the display area of the iPad but still won't fit my front pocket." Samsung is playing a touch game trying to appeal to those with money — the Note isn't cheap — but those that also hate Apple. However, I think the Apple market is really an easy misdirect, their primary goal is pull business from other Android-based vendors, which they are excelling at since they are the only truly profitable Android-based vendor.
  • Reply 184 of 349
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mickeymantle View Post

i watched the game and looking forward to the commercials. but when this came on, I tuned out when the guy caught the guitar. I thought it was a commercial for Guitar Center or something, and not till I saw this article, did I find out it was for Samsung. Very lame ad.

I kind of guessed what is was but kept quiet, the group I was with we're asking each other what it was all about. What a waste of money!
  • Reply 185 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amoled View Post

So LG Prada had a capacitive screen before iphone, Jobs stole Jeff Han's multi-touch, and lied about macbook being the thinnest laptop, but what does that have to do with the article?

Prada officially announced their single-capacitence phone before the iPhone, but looking at the level of HW and SW sophistication and how capacitence touchscrens date back to the 1960s it's clear that Apple had capacitive screens for the iPhone before the LG Prada.

Apple bought FingerWorks. if you're claiming that FingerWorks stole from Jeff Han then you should back up your slander.

The MacBook Air wasn't the thinnest notebook at the time of its release? Back that up, too. Remember, your going after a basic marketing slogan, not a statement that is qualified so you can't use the Pedion since it wasn't on the market in 2008. Also not that thinness isn't qualified so even though the Pedion from 1998 was slightly thinner in its thickest point it wasn't even close to the thinnest in its thinnest or when consider the overall volume thinness of the casing. Again, attacking a basic marketing claim is likely not going to make you sound intelligent.
  • Reply 186 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post

Seriously a stylus? That's exactly what we need, because using our fingers as a stylus has been a failure lol

yet artists advanced past finger paints and developed....brushes. finger painting isn't bad but some people need a little more control over what they are doing. so what if this does both?

what they should have done is just take the old apple 'lemmings' commercial and used it as their own. Apple has the lemmings now.
  • Reply 187 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Prada officially announced their single-capacitence phone before the iPhone, but looking at the level of HW and SW sophistication and how capacitence touchscrens date back to the 1960s it's clear that Apple had capacitive screens for the iPhone before the LG Prada.

Apple bought FingerWorks. if you're claiming that FingerWorks stole from Jeff Han then you should back up your slander.

The MacBook Air wasn't the thinnest notebook at the time of its release? Back that up, too.

NY Times:

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/...-touch-screen/

Wired:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2008/01/mitsubishi-pedi/
  • Reply 188 of 349

Strike 1

And strike 2.

You really want to go for strike 3?
  • Reply 189 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by d-range View Post

Well call me a fanboy, but I don't really see what's the problem with that statement, except for the fact that (as it turns out) the stylus is not the _primary_ input method for the Galaxy Note.

That's the problem with the statement. If it said "the ad primarily featured the stylus as the main form of input" I could see where one could get that conclusion, but to say that it's the primary input method for the Note is deceptive.
  • Reply 190 of 349
    Quote:

Strike 1

And strike 2.

You really want to go for strike 3?

And if you want to believe the iphone was invented in 1960, sure why not iphone came before LG Prada. Happy? Gotta go for a few hours, will be back.
  • Reply 191 of 349
    gridgrid Posts: 21member
    That thing was too big to be a phone and too small to be a tablet. IMO. The whole thing is stupid.
  • Reply 192 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amoled View Post

And if you want to believe the iphone was invented in 1960, sure why not iphone came before LG Prada. Happy? Gotta go for a few hours, will be back.

I mention capacitance touchscreens date back to the 60s yet you automatically associate capacitance touchscreens with the iPhone per your comment above. WTF is wrong with you?
  • Reply 193 of 349
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greg30127 View Post

Ok, let's clear it up...

The stylus is not "the main input method" for the Note - it's included to be used with very specific functions such as adding hand written notes to photos, a built-in drawing tool with various pressure points (like a pad for a computer), etc. The screen is the same type of touch screen as any other smart phone, and you can use your finger for ANY of the phone's functions - the stylus is just included for those who want to use it for the very specific functions if they don't want to use their fingers - like a pen tablet on a computer. I've actually tried out one of these in beta form, and it's NOT like the old PDAs... it actually works quite well and the stylus adds to the functionality... not takes away from the way you already use a smart phone. I'll also point out that the camera on it is excellent as is the front camera and the screen.

The 5.3 inch screen is what might hurt this thing in the American market, though. Most people (men, especially), don't want to carry a tablet in their pants. Once you put a bumper or skin of some sort on the Note, it becomes just too big to carry in your pants pocket. Women will have an easier time since (most) have purses or handbags, and guys who use brief cases or backpacks may like it. Pants carriers, not so much. So it's not the stylus that's going to hurt this thing - it's the size (and maybe battery life, as at least on the beta, that huge screen sucks up the battery pretty quick).

I could maybe see this being popular in places like construction job sites, Realty, etc... where hand written notes and sketches/drawings are sometimes needed.

I'm not a brand loyal person. I own an iPad and love it, but use an Android phone, and might try a Windows Phone as my next one when the next gen comes out. Apple, Android, Windows... they're all good in their own ways. I just get tired of the back and forth bashing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JDW View Post

I think the anti-pen crowd (including the late Steven P Jobs) has missed the point entirely. And such is reasonable in light of the fact that Steve Jobs wasn't always right. Yes, he's right to prioritize touch. No question. But he was wrong to assume that no one would ever need or want to use a pen in those cases (however rare one wishes to argue they are) that one needs precision.

Honestly, I would love to have an iOS device that lets me focus on touch manipulation 95% of the time, but then gives me the power to use a pressure sensitive pen or paint brush to do some dazzling creative stuff. And giving me that power is by no means "bringing back the pen" or "doing something that has failed in the past." What failed in the past were devices that prioritized the pen over touch. What has made the iPad and iPhone a success was Steve Jobs insistence that TOUCH get the priority. The problem is that Steve was so adamant about touch that he refused to give thought to anyone ever wanting a pen for any reason. His sheer hatred for the pen/stylus drove him to insanity. His iOS devices are insanely great, but the insanity pertains to the parts he left out -- parts that we don't notice at first, but over time we start to desire.

The good news is that all Apple has to do to deflate Samsung's pride is just secretly add support for pressure sensitive pen devices. That would not be what Steve Jobs would have done. But then again, Steve Jobs himself wanted Apple execs to make their own decisions so Apple wouldn't become like Disney after their founder died, perpetually asking "what would Walt have done in this situation." Apple should gauge consumer demand for such features and then go for it. They have nothing to lose in doing so, and it's not like everyone will stop focusing on touch and go with a pen primarily. The pen has it's place, and it shouldn't be completely ignored.

Quote:

1) I think a lot of you are missing the point about the stylus. It's not a stylus in place of a capacitance touchscreen nor a stylus in place or your finger(s) as the main input method, it's simply a stylus with Wacom digitiser that allows for fine detail drawing and writing.

Oops, you guys appear to have made sensible, balanced posts!

As for Amoled, he's permanently banned for being an obvious troll (clearly unwilling to engage in reasoned debate; ignores all evidence and logic contrary to his "arguments").
  • Reply 194 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Grid View Post

That thing was too big to be a phone and too small to be a tablet. IMO. The whole thing is stupid.

I think the size is stupid but a digitiser on a capacitance touchscreen is a great idea.

If Apple really wants the iPad to replace all textbooks then a digitiser is needed for detailed pen input across many subjects.
  • Reply 195 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JDW View Post

I think the anti-pen crowd (including the late Steven P Jobs) has missed the point entirely. And such is reasonable in light of the fact that Steve Jobs wasn't always right. Yes, he's right to prioritize touch. No question. But he was wrong to assume that no one would ever need or want to use a pen in those cases (however rare one wishes to argue they are) that one needs precision.

If Apple adds a digitiser the anti-Apple crowd is going have a field day due to Jobs's comment (and with Samsung beating Apple to market), but I don't think Jobs meant that a pen should never be used over your fingers. I think Jobs meant that it shouldn't be the primary input method for a handheld device... and he's right.

Are there any Android SDK APIs for the digitiser at this point? That's the beauty of Apple, they don't simply drop in HW without any SW support to go with it. I doubt that Apple would add a digitiser without making it easy for developers to create beautiful and useful apps that can efficiently use the HW.
  • Reply 196 of 349
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

I think Apple will add this because there is an intrinsic usefulness but they need to also include the digitiser in order to make it useful. Older devices with resistive touchscreens weren't capacitive (obviously) nor were designed for general use without a stylus. This is what is Jobs was talking about, not that a finger is better than a stylus in every function.

Samsung has clearly beaten Apple to market with a sensitive Wacom digitiser on a capacitance touchscreen. It'll be interesting to see a review of any cost, thickness, power usage or performance (compared to other digitisers) that the Note for including this feature.

I think Apple doesn't see the point of having Stylus for the phone. Period. (and that when Steve Yucked about Stylus (at iPhone event).

For iPad, I think Apple waiting for retina display first. Remember when you write on retina display it will be just like you write on paper. No jagged edge. When it can be lagless, and CPU & battery allows, we will see this on iPad.
  • Reply 197 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I think Apple doesn't see the point of having Stylus for the phone. Period. (and that when Steve Yucked about Stylus (at iPhone event).

If they add a digitizer to the iPad I can see them adding it to the iPhone as well. They might not advertising it because they find it to be a fringe use feature, but if the cost (across all usages of the word) are low I can see it happening.

Quote:

For iPad, I think Apple waiting for retina display first. Remember when you write on retina display it will be just like you write on paper. No jagged edge. When it can be lagless, and CPU & battery allows, we will see this on iPad.

That makes sense.

I have tried to find a detailed review of the Note to see what the digitiser costs (in price) to be added to the display, and if there are any hits to usability or performance by including it. Examples might be slow digitising compared to other Wacom devices, excessive power usage, and dimmer backlight due to digitiser effects on the panel. I'm not saying any of these are happening just wondering what the cons are to this new feature.
  • Reply 198 of 349
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

Are there any Android SDK APIs for the digitiser at this point? That's the beauty of Apple, they don't simply drop in HW without any SW support to go with it. I doubt that Apple would add a digitiser without making it easy for developers to create beautiful and useful apps that can efficiently use the HW.

Yes sir. Android already has the API's in place.

"Full support for stylus input events, including tilt and distance axes, pressure, and related motion event properties. To help applications distinguish motion events from different sources, the platform adds distinct tool types for stylus, finger, mouse, and eraser. For improved input from multi-button pointing devices, the platform now provides distinct primary, secondary, and tertiary buttons, as well as back and forward buttons. Hover-enter and hover-exit events are also added, for improved navigation and accessibility. Developers can build on these new input features to add powerful interactions to their apps, such as precise drawing and gesturing, handwriting and shape recognition, improved mouse input, and others."

EDIT: I noticed Samsung also released their own Samsung Note-specific SDK back in November. Some reports indicate that the same S-Pen stylus will be used with the next Samsung tablet release.

http://innovator.samsungmobile.com/d...1&cntsId=10210
  • Reply 199 of 349
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Yes sir. Android already has the API's in place.

"Full support for stylus input events, including tilt and distance axes, pressure, and related motion event properties. To help applications distinguish motion events from different sources, the platform adds distinct tool types for stylus, finger, mouse, and eraser. For improved input from multi-button pointing devices, the platform now provides distinct primary, secondary, and tertiary buttons, as well as back and forward buttons. Hover-enter and hover-exit events are also added, for improved navigation and accessibility. Developers can build on these new input features to add powerful interactions to their apps, such as precise drawing and gesturing, handwriting and shape recognition, improved mouse input, and others."

Thanks.

That's new with version 4.0, right? But the Note comes with Android 2.3.6 so Samsung made their own or scalped that part from Android 4.0 and then added it their Note?
  • Reply 200 of 349
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

Thanks.

That's new with version 4.0, right? But the Note comes with Android 2.3.6 so Samsung made their own or scalped that part from Android 4.0 and then added it their Note?

See my edit above.