Is my Classic dead?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have a lightly to moderately used iPod Classic I bought 3 years ago. Yesterday it started acting very strange. At first it was just songs taking a couple seconds longer than usual to start. Then it would end a song before it was over. The final "there's something very wrong here" moment came when I would start a song and it would just advance to the next and next and next song by itself without playing. I tried resetting it by holding down the center button and Menu at the same time. It displayed the Apple logo and would momentarily lock up, but the problem still exists. Does it sound like the HD is going, or some kind of controlling circuitry? Anyone else ever experience this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    aflaaakaflaaak Posts: 210member
    I use Copytrans to move music from one iTunes library to another via my iPod, and scanned it with their iPod Doctor. The report was there were errors, but of course they don't fix the errors unless you buy the program. Is it likely that doing a Restore of my Classic through iTunes would do the same thing?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    If you enable disk use in iTunes the iPod should then show up in disk utility (located on your hard drive in the utilities folder; I'm assuming you're a Mac user) where you can scan the drive and fix errors. If that doesn't work, go for the full restore in iTunes. Good luck!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    aflaaakaflaaak Posts: 210member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

If you enable disk use in iTunes the iPod should then show up in disk utility (located on your hard drive in the utilities folder; I'm assuming you're a Mac user) where you can scan the drive and fix errors. If that doesn't work, go for the full restore in iTunes. Good luck!

Sorry, I didn't mention I'm running Windows XP on one computer, 7 (64 bit) on the other. Also, I have it set up in Disk Mode/Manually Manage. I played it for about an hour yesterday without any problems, so I don''t think it's completely messed up, but was hoping there was a way to clean it up without a full restore.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aflaaak View Post

Sorry, I didn't mention I'm running Windows XP on one computer, 7 (64 bit) on the other. Also, I have it set up in Disk Mode/Manually Manage. I played it for about an hour yesterday without any problems, so I don''t think it's completely messed up, but was hoping there was a way to clean it up without a full restore.

Do a standard Windows disk repair, right click it in My Computer, properties, tools, error checking, check both boxes and go. If that fails to fix your problems, do a factory reset in iTunes.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Do a standard Windows disk repair, right click it in My Computer, properties, tools, error checking, check both boxes and go. If that fails to fix your problems, do a factory reset in iTunes.

Thanks tipoo. I forgot about the tools. I defragmented it a week or so ago, and that seemed to help a lot. I just ran the disk check tool and it completed without mentioning any errors. Hopefully everything is back to normal, or I'll just go ahead and restore it through iTunes.