NPD: Apple's iPhone 4S, 4 & 3GS were top 3 US smartphones over holidays

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...It found that although the iPhone 4 came in second place, Apple's 2010 smartphone was outsold by 75 percent by the iPhone 4S, which launched in October.

... NPD's data found that the iPhone 4S outsold the iPhone 3GS by five to one.

...Following the iPhone 3GS, Samsung's Galaxy S II came in fourth place among smartphones sold in the U.S. over the holidays. Samsung also took the fifth-place spot with the Galaxy S 4G.

So, if i understand this correctly that Apple sold more 3GS than any individual Samsung phone?!?!

Averaging the 1st time and prior smartphone buyers to 40% for Apple the following proof means:

40% = a+b+c, 60% = d+e+f+...+z a=iPhone4S b =iPhone4 c=iPhone3GS d= Samsung II

a=4b, 1/4a = b a=5c, 1/5a = c b= 1/4a = 1/4(5c)

40% = 5c+1/4(5c) + c

c= 40/7.25 = 5.5%

d<c

d<5.5% (d is the top selling Samsung II)

a=27.6% (a is the iPhone 4S)

40% = 37million

5.5% = 2 million

Samsung's top-selling phone therefore sold less than 2 million

Not sure how analysts can figure that samsung could have sold 30+ million smartphones?!?!?!
  • Reply 22 of 44
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It's an odd argument for someone to claim that clueless first time smartphone buyers show a trend for future smartphone buyers. If there was a trend it would show that Android's percenage of repeat buyers were higher than Apple's. This graph clearly shows the opposite.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

Not sure how analysts can figure that samsung could have sold 30+ million smartphones?!?!?!

I'm sure they did, when you add up all smartphone models they sell.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    So this means the iP3GS keeps all the competition in check, while the iP4 and iP4S play in a different league all together! That must be shocking for some people!
  • Reply 24 of 44
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

So this means the iP3GS keeps all the competition in check, while the iP4 and iP4S play in a different league all together! That must be shocking for some people!

Makes me wonder what the 3GS woulda done with 3 carriers.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    : WHY, why?

? Because Apple´s fans ( anyone who actually bought an iPhone, as they say ) are stupid.

: What, what?

: Who said that?

: Pundits and journalists, also the late fake S. Jobs, where have you been?

: It is winter, man.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    I hope this slipping dominance lights a fire of innovation under the asses of the Android OEMs.

90 models a year with 50 word long names and gimmicky BS are just not going to cut it.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    No wonder why Samsung doesn't tell how many phones they sold in their financial call.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Funny how Android sales figures never seem to add up.

Last quarter, between ATT and Verizon nearly 12 millions iPhones were sold compared to 5.3 million all other smartphones. Some of that 5.3 had to be Windows and RIM phones. Sprint probably sold a fare amount of iPhones. Can T-Mobile really be selling all that many android phones?

Secondly, lately I am seeing iPhones EVERYWHERE. Watching students at the local university, everyone seems to have iPhones. In the mall, most people I see have iPhones. I have only seen one Samsung Galaxy in the wild.

It is funny how people still look at Apple as this niche company which is doomed to be overwhelmed by open source products, while quietly they are completely taking over the world.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by igxqrrl View Post

Agreed that it's an extraordinary accomplishment, but your example (Ford) puts things in perspective.

For many, many years Ford has had the best selling vehicle in the US (Ford F-150). Yet what percentage of cars on the road are F-150s?

Clearly "best selling product" and "overall marketshare" are very different things. While celebrating the iPhone's success, it's important to keep that difference in mind.

Live up in the sticks and you'll see plenty of F-150s. Plus that's a bad example, there are WAY more different car/SUV/pickup models than cell phone models.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Samsung board of directors meeting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td3g...e_gdata_player
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Samsung board of directors meeting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td3g...e_gdata_player

I bet its going something like this...
  • Reply 32 of 44
    The fact that iOS accounts for a substantially higher share among the "all smartphone" group compared to the "first-time buyer" group (and vice versa for Android) would suggest that once buyers have owned an Android, they're much more inclined to switch to iOS than any traffic the other direction.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Apple is doom

You've posted this a few times now. Just so you know, for future reference, the official phrase is: Apple is doomed!?

• Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I hope this slipping dominance lights a fire of innovation under the asses of the Android OEMs.

90 models a year with 50 word long names and gimmicky BS are just not going to cut it.

... and don't forget those lame-ass commercials too!
  • Reply 35 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slappy View Post

Ridicule me as you like for the time being. I will comeback when some "anal_yst" will again "estimate" that Samsung sold (read shipped) more Smartphones than Apple's reported number of Smartphone. Anyway you like - Apple is doomed!?

Slappy is using the above tone recently. I guess he always have avery bad time after the Qurterly Earning Releases
  • Reply 36 of 44
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member
    It doesn't help that so many first time buyers are buying old, slow Android phones - of course they'll have a bad experience. Just like everyone who upgraded the iPhone 3G to iOS 4 had a terrible experience. If Samsung wants to sell like Apple, they need to eliminate all models that aren't the SII, Note, or Galaxy Nexus.

And yes, having uneven coverage eats up battery life - searching for signals eats up a lot of power.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Head over to CNET, where a writer uses this same data to "prove" that Android is winning the smartphone war. Evidence? He asserts that because more first-time buyers are getting Android phones, the iPhone will slip into irrelevance.

I, on the other hand, think everyone is entitled to make mistakes. Those first time Android buyers will become second time iPhone buyers.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-573...tphone-buyers/

My first smartphone was Android. Once I got an iPod touch I couldn't wait to get an iPhone. Also because the batteries on HTC phones suck.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    How many Android smartphones have full flash support? I knew the phone I had was never going to get it so the transition to iPhone was no big deal. On my previous Android phone I was being charged an extra $10 each month for going over my data plan limits. AT&T could never tell me why. With my iPhone I haven't gone over once and I use it a lot more than I ever did with my HTC.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How many Android smartphones have full flash support?

I am just realising that I never hear the Flash argument anymore.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

What! And Apple doesn't do "true multitasking" in addition to all of the above... and yet Apple's nearly 4-year-old iPhone is outselling the best, latest and greatest Samsung can offer!

Stupid is as Samsung does...

One other thing I got from the graph is that no matter how good iOS and Android may be, 5% of the buyers will buy something equal to the Microsoft Kin in market acceptance.

The iPhone doesn't appeal to business customers because it doesn't have a keyboard, which makes it not a very good email machine.

There?s no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance.