Halliburton to ditch BlackBerrys in corporate transition to Apple's iOS platform

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 75
    That's a big company. That's going to piss off a lot of tech weenies. Hahahaha. Losers. Some would rather keep their BB to themselves and responsible for their own costs.

On a separate note...can someone tell me how good are the iPhone's enterprise security policy management tools?
  • Reply 62 of 75
    jla0jla0 Posts: 6member
    And mobile management nightmare is starting @ Halliburton.. and a lot more expensive too! All apps are associated to an Apple ID.. when someone leaves the company, bye bye app! Apples solution? Buy the app again for the next user!! Fine and dandy for Apple since they make 30% every time you buy an app.. sucks for the company having to rebuy an app over and over and over again!

I'm sorry but Apple sucks @ enterprise..
  • Reply 63 of 75
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jla0 View Post

And mobile management nightmare is starting @ Halliburton.. and a lot more expensive too! All apps are associated to an Apple ID.. when someone leaves the company, bye bye app!:

If a company does not know how to manage their own hardware/software/company purchases, then they deserve to lose the app.

[quote]Apples solution? Buy the app again for the next user!! Fine and dandy for Apple since they make 30% every time you buy an app.. sucks for the company having to rebuy an app over and over and over again![/quotee]

Why wouldn't a company manage AppleIDs for their own hardware/software/company purchases? Let the employee use to and when the employee leaves, the company issues it to another employee?
  • Reply 64 of 75
    Quote:

And mobile management nightmare is starting @ Halliburton.. and a lot more expensive too! All apps are associated to an Apple ID.. when someone leaves the company, bye bye app! Apples solution? Buy the app again for the next user!! Fine and dandy for Apple since they make 30% every time you buy an app.. sucks for the company having to rebuy an app over and over and over again!

I'm sorry but Apple sucks @ enterprise..

Enterprise Application management is different than public Consumer Apple ID management.
  • Reply 65 of 75
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

For consistently reinforcing my decision to put you on the ignore list!!!

Enjoy your class guilt, your entitlement jingoism, your desire to run the world into the ground for no effective improvement to the human condition. Fake ideals are far more important than real influence, than really making a difference. Remember, it's all about you, and what you believe. Not reality.

Now there's a guilty conscience.
  • Reply 66 of 75
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Enterprise Application management is different than public Consumer Apple ID management.

Really? All I see is volume purchasing, but no volume management. Unless the provided documentation on the VPP program is really lacking, all VPP looks to do is provide codes for employees to use to redeem and "purchase" the app from the App store. I have seen nothing about how to attach that App to a corporate identity so the app can be harvested and reused if the employee or device is re-assigned, or if you are in a Bring Your Own Device environment - which is becoming far more common.

Hopefully I'll be getting our VPP account set up in the next week or so and I'll have a chance to play with this myself, but so far it looks like Apple only has a partial solution and jla0 is - unfortunately - very correct.

And as for the idiotic suggestion about "corporate Apple IDs" - again unless something very fundamental is not spelled out in the provided online documentation, Apple IDs can only be attached to 10 devices. Yeah, that's real practical
  • Reply 67 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Now there's a guilty conscience.

No, just another rational person who is disgusted by the baseless class warfare and labelism that's substituted far too often for intelligent thought

Why bother to form your own opinions when you can find a group, join them, and then just hurtle slogans back and forth?
  • Reply 68 of 75
    Directly from Apple:

"Distributing redemption codes

You can distribute the redemption URLs by email or SMS, or post them on a website that you make accessible to the appropriate groups and users. You may want to create a website that offers a catalog of the apps you purchased and that issues redemption codes to authorized users. Many third-party Mobile Device Management (MDM) solutions also provide a way to centrally manage and distribute codes.

Users install the apps you purchase for them by going to the redemption URL on their iOS device. This takes them directly to the App Store with the redemption code already entered, so all they have to do is authenticate with their Apple ID. It’s the same process as with any other app from the App Store, but because you’ve provided the prepaid redemption code, users aren’t charged for the purchase.

Each redemption code can be used only once. Each time a redemption code is used, an updated version of the purchase spreadsheet becomes available for you at the Volume Purchase Program website. Download the spreadsheet to see how many codes have been used, and to view the remaining redemption codes.

Once a user installs the app, it’s backed up and updated just like any other App Store app."
  • Reply 69 of 75
    Quote:

Directly from Apple:

Here it comes...

Quote:

so all they have to do is authenticate with their Apple ID.

[...]

Each redemption code can be used only once. Each time a redemption code is used, an updated version of the purchase spreadsheet becomes available for you at the Volume Purchase Program website. Download the spreadsheet to see how many codes have been used, and to view the remaining redemption codes.

Thank you for proving my point for me. Once used, the code is gone. Poof! It's attached to "their Apple ID" - straight from Apple, as you say.

So what do I do when the user leaves the company or no longer needs the app? How do I harvest that license to reuse it?

Answer: I don't.

Huge shortcoming.

Granted, iOS apps are typically a fraction of a cost of traditional apps - but not when you start talking business apps. The prices shoot up dramatically making this even more of an issue.
  • Reply 70 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

This is true. I'm sure there are many other dodgy enterprises which make use of Apple products as well.

Don't forget "dodgy" governments...
  • Reply 71 of 75
    jla0jla0 Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Here it comes...

Thank you for proving my point for me.

Yes! The exact point *I* was trying to make!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Once used, the code is gone. Poof! It's attached to "their Apple ID" - straight from Apple, as you say.

So what do I do when the user leaves the company or no longer needs the app? How do I harvest that license to reuse it?

Answer: I don't.

Huge shortcoming.

Granted, iOS apps are typically a fraction of a cost of traditional apps - but not when you start talking business apps. The prices shoot up dramatically making this even more of an issue.

Like I said.. Good for Apple, they make 30% everytime, VERY bad for businesses, Apps are now like pencils.. dispensable!
  • Reply 72 of 75
    Quote:

Directly from Apple:

"Distributing redemption codes

You can distribute the redemption URLs by email or SMS, or post them on a website that you make accessible to the appropriate groups and users. You may want to create a website that offers a catalog of the apps you purchased and that issues redemption codes to authorized users. Many third-party Mobile Device Management (MDM) solutions also provide a way to centrally manage and distribute codes.

Users install the apps you purchase for them by going to the redemption URL on their iOS device. This takes them directly to the App Store with the redemption code already entered, so all they have to do is authenticate with their Apple ID. It’s the same process as with any other app from the App Store, but because you’ve provided the prepaid redemption code, users aren’t charged for the purchase.

Once a user installs the app, it’s backed up and updated just like any other App Store app."

Did you read the part where it said Halliburton worked closely with Apple on this?....Guess not. The apps Halliburton has/will develop INTERNALLY will NEVER be found in the App store or distributed by Apple!

Here is a link to Apple's "Build breakthrough apps for your employees . Learn about in-house app development for iPhone and iPad".

http://www.apple.com/business/accele...e-process.html

Here is how the Apps will be distributed. DIRECTLY FROM APPLE'S WEBSITE!

http://www.apple.com/business/accele...tribution.html

Distribute apps to your users.

Distributing in-house apps can be done either by hosting your app on a simple web-server you create internally, or by using a third-party Mobile Device Management solution. Your specific requirements, infrastructure and level of app management will dictate which solution makes the most sense for you.
  • Reply 73 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chiefthinker View Post

Did you read the part where it said Halliburton worked closely with Apple on this?....Guess not. The apps Halliburton has/will develop INTERNALLY will NEVER be found in the App store or distributed by Apple!

Here is a link to Apple's "Build breakthrough apps for your employees . Learn about in-house app development for iPhone and iPad".

http://www.apple.com/business/accele...e-process.html

Here is how the Apps will be distributed. DIRECTLY FROM APPLE'S WEBSITE!

http://www.apple.com/business/accele...tribution.html

Distribute apps to your users.

Distributing in-house apps can be done either by hosting your app on a simple web-server you create internally, or by using a third-party Mobile Device Management solution. Your specific requirements, infrastructure and level of app management will dictate which solution makes the most sense for you.

Please read so you don't sound like an idiot.

I never said they'd pay for in-house apps!

You REALLY think they'll use JUST in-house apps??
  • Reply 74 of 75
    Nice. Now those "private security companies" can all Instagram their prisoner abuse.
  • Reply 75 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Don't forget "dodgy" governments...

Indeed. A free latest iPhone model from the US is probably the best bribe out there in the developing world, and probably Africa.