Chinese lawsuit seeks $38M, apology from Apple for use of iPad name

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    techboytechboy Posts: 183member
    I call this BS...the name "iPad" itself isn't worth more than what Apple paid already. The name doesn't sell itself...great products do. I thought our laws are silly here, I guess it's the same BS everywhere....and they want 1.6 billion in damages??? What could they have made with that name with their own product in 2 years??? Just absurd for this stuff to even get to court....people need to apply common sense to this stuff. Can Apple sue them for a lose if iPad suck??? WE can sue people for their success but not the other way around??? OMFG, CRAZY WORLD!
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankie View Post

Dear China,

You've stolen billions of dollars of intellectual property over several decades from us. Go F yourself.

Sincerely,

America

indeed
  • Reply 23 of 48
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fotoformat View Post

Absolutely... quickly transfer all manufacture to the new and future factories in Brazil and then the products can be tagged "Made in The Americas" which will go down a lot better with most people.

Made in America without the S would be enough.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    Blackmail, pure and simple.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Techboy View Post

I call this BS...the name "iPad" itself isn't worth more than what Apple paid already. The name doesn't sell itself...great products do. I thought our laws are silly here, I guess it's the same BS everywhere....and they want 1.6 billion in damages??? What could they have made with that name with their own product in 2 years??? Just absurd for this stuff to even get to court....people need to apply common sense to this stuff. Can Apple sue them for a lose if iPad suck??? WE can sue people for their success but not the other way around??? OMFG, CRAZY WORLD!

Well, Apple might then just change the name and get away with it.

Oh, would it be that costly???
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Apple needs to move out of China. Those MF have no morals. Of course the Chinese courts will side with a Chinese company. They want that money to stay in China.*

Or do a Samsung and change the name to ChinaPad.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

If they have enough reasons,

Frankly this thing reeks of the owners playing a game because they know the court is more likely to side with them. It's like filing in the East District of Texas which always seems to side with the group that filed the suit even if they are actually in the wrong (as later proven by a string of appeals).

Proview sold the Global Rights to this IP Development (or whatever it was called). Which was later proven to be either a front for Apple or always intending to sell to Apple. then once they knew they had 'been had' they suddenly jump up and say that no they sold the global rights to the areas that the company had the rights to which doesn't include China cause that area is owned by a branch company. And that company is refusing to play ball with Apple.

Basically they implied something that wasn't true once they found out that they might have been able to make more money. they didn't act in good faith etc. But the Chinese court isn't likely to see it that way.

Frankly I think that Apple should just not sell the iPad in China. Under any name. They should also prohibit shipments by any authorized resellers to China and allow the government to ban persons from bringing in iPads. That solves that issue right there. Then when Proview decides that they didn't really play nice and is willing to settle the whole thing, China can get back the iPad. And if someone tries to sell a clear knockoff using that iPad name, Apple should sue with strong implications that they will do whatever it takes to get all of their production out of China even if they have to take a loss of basically all profit for the next ten years to do it. AND they are going to call for all other US tech companies to join them in getting out of China (for a multitude of reasons). Then I bet the government won't be so quick to vote for the home team.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple's shaking in their boots. If these guys have a legit case, which is a possibility, you never know, Apple should just pay them and move on.

If it's the lower fine which is basically a wrist slap, sure I could see them paying. But some big multi billion dollar fine, which has with it the implication that Apple admits they were wrong. No way.

I could see Apple willing to pay for the rights from this branch company, but not some wild and crazy amount based on today's value for the name. Because they acted in good faith and weren't told about this ownership issue until it was found out that Apple was involved and the name was (in the eyes of Proview) under valued.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Frankly this thing reeks of the owners playing a game because they know the court is more likely to side with them. It's like filing in the East District of Texas which always seems to side with the group that filed the suit even if they are actually in the wrong (as later proven by a string of appeals).

Proview sold the Global Rights to this IP Development (or whatever it was called). Which was later proven to be either a front for Apple or always intending to sell to Apple. then once they knew they had 'been had' they suddenly jump up and say that no they sold the global rights to the areas that the company had the rights to which doesn't include China cause that area is owned by a branch company. And that company is refusing to play ball with Apple.

Basically they implied something that wasn't true once they found out that they might have been able to make more money. they didn't act in good faith etc. But the Chinese court isn't likely to see it that way.

Frankly I think that Apple should just not sell the iPad in China. Under any name. They should also prohibit shipments by any authorized resellers to China and allow the government to ban persons from bringing in iPads. That solves that issue right there. Then when Proview decides that they didn't really play nice and is willing to settle the whole thing, China can get back the iPad. And if someone tries to sell a clear knockoff using that iPad name, Apple should sue with strong implications that they will do whatever it takes to get all of their production out of China even if they have to take a loss of basically all profit for the next ten years to do it. AND they are going to call for all other US tech companies to join them in getting out of China (for a multitude of reasons). Then I bet the government won't be so quick to vote for the home team.

Let's make it simpler. I say Apple literally ignores the lawsuit. Pretend it doesn't exist. Or, as another poster said, just keep it going until the other company shrivels.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    In the words of Joey Adonis (from the motion picture "Bugsy") ...."you can suck it out of the end of my d*ick".
  • Reply 31 of 48
    :d:d:d
    Quote:

dear china,

you've stolen billions of dollars of intellectual property over several decades from us. Go f yourself.

Sincerely,

america

• Reply 32 of 48
    This person won't win. Yet they are just now coming forward with this after all this time?

Maybe China should focus on their human rights record and how they've unfairly devalued their currency
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Where's the Like button?

Quote:

Dear China,

You've stolen billions of dollars of intellectual property over several decades from us. Go F yourself.

Sincerely,

America

• Reply 34 of 48
    No matter what, Apple will lose this case in China, and I can bet the Chinese judge is going to get a hefty sum of that $38M... whoops, did I just say something wrong...
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

They trademarked the English word "iPad" in China? Ermm... ok.

That was my first reaction. I guess "iPad" means something else in Chinese...oh wait it doesn't mean ANYTHING in Chinese.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    "ok Mr. China corrupt court. We will pay your fine of 38M but let it be know we will be moving all our manufacturing operations over to Brazil in the next few years because we don't like doing business in a country overrun by courruption . However, We may consider staying if you give us a tax break of 10 Billion dollars."
  • Reply 37 of 48
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

*An “apology” for buying the trademark from the parent company "Proview Electronics" and not ALSO buying it from the subsidiary "Proview Technology”? If there’s truly some legal reason to buy the name twice from the same company, how did the parent company not make that clear at the start, and why is this labyrinthine technicality a matter for an "apology"?

Good post. It really clarifies the absurdity of Proview's position.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    the quote "Made in the Americas" priceless, because many people would not notice the "s" on the end , assume it is USA, north america, Not Sourh America.

not sure if that would be technically accurate, due the fact products don't say "Made in Asia"...

funny, but "Made in Americas" could be deemed deceptive.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    All of you folks spouting righteous indignation over this should give your heads a shake. You may all be right, fair and just, and it will still matter not a whit.

The question is: does Apple want to do business in China? If so, and I think it's obvious they do, then they just have to suck up these inequities and move on.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I agree with you in that I think the lawsuit is bogus but the actions you propose that Apple should take are just plain asinine.