Printing a list of files within folders in Finder

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is their a program which would allow me to print a list of files within the folders in Finder or the results of a search?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dcdemet View Post

Is their a program which would allow me to print a list of files within the folders in Finder

Depends on how long that list of files is, because you could use the Finder's column view to display files within a folder, and then make a screenshot of it which you could print.

But "a list of files within the folders in Finder" is a very broad, almost impossible concept, considering that the average Mac holds between 1 and 2 million files. Most of which are background, system, and help files which' names wouldn't mean anything to you when printed out anyway.

Quote:

or the results of a search?

Not that I'm aware of.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dcdemet View Post

Is their a program which would allow me to print a list of files within the folders in Finder or the results of a search?

If it's just the first level, you can drag the items into TextEdit and print that out. You can remove the path name if you just want the folder/filename using find/replace and replace with blank. Recursive listing is possible using the command-line for a normal view but probably not from a search result.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Two methods that I know about. First is selecting all the files in the Finder and Copy. Paste into TextEdit (or anywhere else). You will get only the file (and folder) names and not any of the info (size, type, etc) but you can use the column headers to change the ordering and that copies as well. The second is TextWrangler (free app). It has a File Browser that allows you to print all of the file names in a folder, along with their icons.

As the old-timers will no doubt remember, printing the contents of a Finder window used to be a built-in function of OS9 and earlier -- deleted for OSX, in Apple's finite wisdom.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Showtime View Post

Depends on how long that list of files is, because you could use the Finder's column view to display files within a folder, and then make a screenshot of it which you could print.

But "a list of files within the folders in Finder" is a very broad, almost impossible concept, considering that the average Mac holds between 1 and 2 million files. Most of which are background, system, and help files which' names wouldn't mean anything to you when printed out anyway.

Not that I'm aware of.

Thanks
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Two methods that I know about. First is selecting all the files in the Finder and Copy. Paste into TextEdit (or anywhere else). You will get only the file (and folder) names and not any of the info (size, type, etc) but you can use the column headers to change the ordering and that copies as well. The second is TextWrangler (free app). It has a File Browser that allows you to print all of the file names in a folder, along with their icons.

As the old-timers will no doubt remember, printing the contents of a Finder window used to be a built-in function of OS9 and earlier -- deleted for OSX, in Apple's finite wisdom.

Back in the days of Os9 and earlier I was using a PC and X-Tree.

Thanks I'll try TextWrangler
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Showtime View Post

Not that I'm aware of.

Thanks
  • Reply 7 of 7
    If it's just the first level, you can drag the items into TextEdit and print that out.

Cheap printing