Early 2009 MacPro graphics card

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have an end-user who has an early 2009 Mac Pro. He would like to get the new Thunderbolt display but he needs a new graphics card to run it. Can I throw any Thunderbolt enabled graphics card in the machine?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Impossible. You can't do it.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Ok. Why is that?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walnuts View Post

Ok. Why is that?

Thunderbolt devices do not work with Mini DisplayPort ports. Mini DisplayPort is not forward compatible. It physically will not work.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walnuts View Post

I have an end-user who has an early 2009 Mac Pro. He would like to get the new Thunderbolt display but he needs a new graphics card to run it. Can I throw any Thunderbolt enabled graphics card in the machine?

Thanks

Currently there is no Graphics cards that will power a ThunderBolt display as ThunderBolt is built into the chipset of the motherboard. At this time you need a computer with Thunderbolt built into the chipset inorder to run a ThunderBolt display. Right now the MacPro, even the current generation, doesn't have the option to run a ThunderBolt display.

Your end-user can use a Apple Cinema Display which display wise is the same as the ThunderBolt Display, both are 27inch with 2560x1440 which can be found Here.

Hopefully that is helpful.

~IceBergs
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IceBergs View Post

Currently there is no Graphics cards that will power a ThunderBolt display as ThunderBolt is built into the chipset of the motherboard. At this time you need a computer with Thunderbolt built into the chipset inorder to run a ThunderBolt display. Right now the MacPro, even the current generation, doesn't have the option to run a ThunderBolt display.

Your end-user can use a Apple Cinema Display which display wise is the same as the ThunderBolt Display, both are 27inch with 2560x1440 which can be found Here.

Hopefully that is helpful.

~IceBergs

Thanks for explaining that IceBergs