Mac sales surge as PC sales drop 20% in UK, 12% in France

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014

PC sales in Europe plummeted in the fourth quarter of 2011, but Apple bucked that trend over the holidays, particularly in France and the U.K., with continued strong growth.

According to the latest data released by Gartner on Tuesday, PC sales in the U.K. dropped 19.6 percent year over year in the fourth quarter of calendar 2011. It was a similar story in France, where PC sales were down 11.8 percent.

But in both countries, Apple saw double-digit gains, bucking the trends seen by the rest of the competition. Mac sales were up 17.2 percent in the U.K. alone, making Apple the only vendor among the top five that saw a year over year increase.

Dell was hardest hit in the U.K., down 32.2 percent year over year and finishing in second place. Top-ranked HP was also down a large 27 percent from 2010.

In third, Toshiba fell 5.4 percent, while fifth-place Acer saw the largest hit, plummeting 62.4 percent year over year.

Apple, meanwhile, took fourth place, growing its market share from 6.2 percent of the U.K. in 2010 to 9.1 percent in the holiday shopping season of 2011.

The results were slightly different in France, where Apple was joined by Asus in seeing positive growth for the quarter. In fact, the 17.4 percent increase for Asus bested Apple's 15.3 percent

Market leader HP fell 1.8 percent, but stayed ahead of second-place Asus with 25.2 percent. In third was Acer, which fell a dramatic 45.5 percent and took 14.4 percent of the market. Dell was in fourth, falling 13.2 percent and with an 11.4 percent share.

Apple finished in fifth place in France, securing 8.2 percent of the total market, up from 6.3 percent in 2010.

Gartner's data also included Western Europe, where PC sales fell 16 percent year over year, and Germany, where PC sales were down 8.2 percent. Apple did not crack the top five vendors in Germany or Western Europe.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Apple will have less than 2% Mac marketshare in each of these countries by the end of the year.

I propose this becomes a color that represents slapppyisms. They're visible to those who want to take their time to read them and unreadable at a glance so that people can ignore the nonsense if they choose. For future reference, it's #C0FFEE.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Actually since Apple's numbers were included in the total PC sales, it raised the overall percentage. If you compared Mac sales to all the other manufacturers they were down 21.5%. I'm not sure what the 5.8% others were, perhaps custom Linux boxes??
  • Reply 3 of 29
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to the latest data released by Gartner on Tuesday, PC sales in the U.K. dropped 19.6 percent year over year in the fourth quarter of calendar 2011. It was a similar story in France, where PC sales were down 11.8 percent.

If you just compare Windows-based PCs to Mac OS X-based PCs Windows-based OEMs drop is greater.

Taking Apple out of the equation it's 3,437 total for 4Q10 and 2,679 for 4Q11 for a drop of 22.05% YoY for the UK. That's not good for MS.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple will have less than 2% Mac marketshare in each of these countries by the end of the year.

I propose this becomes a color that represents slapppyisms. They're visible to those who want to take their time to read them and unreadable at a glance so that people can ignore the nonsense if they choose. For future reference, it's #COFFEE.

There is no #coffee AFAIK looks like Cyan
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

There is no #coffee AFAIK looks like Cyan

Ah, sorry, C0FFEE. Better change that. Odd that it's just slightly lighter, despite me using a O instead of an 0.

Odd that it WORKED, despite me using a O instead of an 0.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Okay. Now add the iPad & Other Tablet Sales and tell me where Apple ranks.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, sorry, C0FFEE. Better change that. Odd that it's just slightly lighter, despite me using a O instead of an 0.

Odd that it WORKED, despite me using a O instead of an 0.

Actually I think it is the browser fallback color which is almost the same #ccffee
  • Reply 8 of 29
    How odd. I seem to recall Apple being in a state of DOOMED. Was I misinformed?
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Quote:

Actually since Apple's numbers were included in the total PC sales, it raised the overall percentage. If you compared Mac sales to all the other manufacturers they were down 21.5%. I'm not sure what the 5.8% others were, perhaps custom Linux boxes??

All of the other PC manufacturers, normally. But you are right, if you back out Apple's sales, the Windows PC numbers come out looking substantially worse.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Quote:

Nah, it would be other PC manufacturers, companies like Asus, NEC, Sony, Lenovo.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    I saw a similar 4Q sales chart a few weeks ago that showed "PC" sales down only slightly and Mac sales up 20%. But Mac sales were included in PC sales since Macs are also "personal computers." The "PC" category included all desktop and laptop personal computers, not just Windows + Intel machines. Subtracting Mac sales from "PC" sales resulted in a larger sales drop for "PC"s.

Looks like this particular chart doesn't include Mac sales in overall "PC" sales. But it would be nice if the author indicated that. Just for clarity.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Wow! When Apple declared this to be the post-PC era, they weren't kidding! The PC sales have just fallen off a cliff.

Chairs will be broken and monkeys will dance... I think it will be shown that for MS to be three years late to the party was terrible, but to be four years late was un-recoverably late. Apple was figuring they had a five year lead on the market, it turns out they only needed four.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Presumably Dell should liquidate its assets and return the money to their shareholders...
  • Reply 14 of 29
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sunbow View Post

Presumably Dell should liquidate its assets and return the money to their shareholders...

Are you listening Michael Dell?
  • Reply 15 of 29
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Do any of these studies dive into what is driving Mac growth and non-Mac stagnation or decline? I'd love to know what's driving the growth.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Some of the explanations about Mac growth have come from the "halo effect" -- people who are happy with other devices such as iPhones, iPads, and iPods. Apple claims that over half of its Mac sales in their Retail Stores are to first-time Mac buyers.

If I recall correctly, the vast majority of households with Mac also have at least one Windows PC.

A lot of the PC stagnation has been attributed to the drop-off of netbook sales as well as fewer corporate purchases.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sunbow View Post

Michael Dell must be REALLY sorry he ever said that.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Must've been the shortage of HDDs.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Some of the explanations about Mac growth have come from the "halo effect" -- people who are happy with other devices such as iPhones, iPads, and iPods. Apple claims that over half of its Mac sales in their Retail Stores are to first-time Mac buyers.

If I recall correctly, the vast majority of households with Mac also have at least one Windows PC.

A lot of the PC stagnation has been attributed to the drop-off of netbook sales as well as fewer corporate purchases.

Don't forget the Apple Stores themselves. Most people had never seen a Mac in person before those stores, much less used one.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Michael Dell must be REALLY sorry he ever said that.

I'm also sorry that he ever said that, because it seems we have to keep hearing it over and over.