iTunes-sponsored live Paul McCartney concert to stream for free on Apple TV

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

A live concert from legendary artist Paul McCartney will be streamed live by Apple to iTunes and Apple TV set-top boxes on Thursday.

The singer-songwriter's event is being hyped on his official page on iTunes, where it is counting down the days, hours, minutes and seconds to the live, free performance. The concert will take place at Capitol Studios on Thursday, Feb. 9 at 7 p.m. Pacific, 10 p.m. Eastern.

The stream can be viewed within Apple's iTunes desktop client, or on an HDTV using the Apple TV set-top box. Users can access the stream by choosing "iTunes Live" from the Apple TV Internet menu.

The ex-Beatle is broadcasting the performance to promote his new album, "Kisses on the Bottom," which is now available on iTunes for $9.99 (iTunes link). The album features guest appearances from Eric Clapton, Stevie Wonder and Diana Krall, and it is advertised as "an intimate exploration of the Great American Songbook" with two new songs.

The full catalog of the Beatles was long awaited on iTunes, and finally arrived on Apple's digital storefront in November of 2010. In the first two months, a total of 5 million songs and a million albums of the Beatles were sold on iTunes.

It took more than 7 years for the Beatles catalog to arrive on iTunes, thanks, in part, to a legal dispute between Apple and the band's parent company, Apple Corps. The trademark dispute was eventually settled in 2007.

Last year, Apple did a live broadcast of the iTunes Festival London 2011. Those could be viewed on iOS devices with a free application, but watching on the big-screen via Apple TV required the use of AirPlay. With this week's McCartney concert, Apple TV owners will be able to watch the show right on their HDTV without an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I know how to stream live from websites and QuickTime but not from within iTunes. I assume you just click on the image from the iTubes Store to activate it. Is that correct?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Nah it takes at least three or four commands in Terminal.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    This sounds easy..."Users can access the stream by choosing "iTunes Live" from the Apple TV Internet menu"
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmizerek View Post

This sounds easy..."Users can access the stream by choosing "iTunes Live" from the Apple TV Internet menu"

Shame those of us with the first-generation AppleTVs are left out...
  • Reply 5 of 15
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    I'd probably watch this if it wasn't on at 3am. Hope it's available to watch/download the next day.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I'd probably watch this if it wasn't on at 3am. Hope it's available to watch/download the next day.

Pop over the 'pond' Shaun, Costco just offered $400 rebate on a Sharp 80inch LED - my only problem is il be stuck with a few of the worst tunes in my head all weekend "silly love songs, and band on the run..
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

Shame those of us with the first-generation AppleTVs are left out...

Shame those of us with the second generation model can't buy content with it though.

(not that there is really any reasonably priced content to buy)
  • Reply 8 of 15
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Great publicity for McCartney and Apple. Great proof of concept for whatever Apple is working on in the internet television space.

Maybe all Mac and iDevice users will be watching "The iTunes Channel" in a few years...
  • Reply 9 of 15
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

I'd probably watch this if i liked any of Paul McCartney's music, but I never did and I suspect I never will.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Shame those of us with the second generation model can't buy content with it though.

Still? That was the whole reason I bought my first-gen device - because buying the few shows I watch from iTunes is cheaper than paying $100/month to Comcast for a bunch of crap I don't care about. I guess I'll also be happy that I can run Boxee on my 1st-gen AppleTV. It doesn't look like that's ever coming to the 2nd-gen
  • Reply 11 of 15
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Kisses on the Bottom, is that in reference to this slobberfest from a few years back?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuPXp...e_gdata_player
  • Reply 12 of 15
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

Still? That was the whole reason I bought my first-gen device - because buying the few shows I watch from iTunes is cheaper than paying $100/month to Comcast for a bunch of crap I don't care about. I guess I'll also be happy that I can run Boxee on my 1st-gen AppleTV. It doesn't look like that's ever coming to the 2nd-gen

Actually .. . XBMC can now be installed on ATv2. That's not all of Boxee, but I think that's what most people want.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Pop over the 'pond' Shaun, Costco just offered $400 rebate on a Sharp 80inch LED - my only problem is il be stuck with a few of the worst tunes in my head all weekend "silly love songs, and band on the run..

Not sure it would fit in my luggage, heck it probably wouldn't even fit in my flat

But thanks for the info. As long as he doesn't sing the frog song

Does everyone in the US have mega size tv's. Most people I know have a 32" max. I gotta move to california - sunshine, mega tvs and california girls
  • Reply 14 of 15
    I got the fancy banner on ATV2. Even got a "play" button. That's it.

"An error occurred loading this content. Try again later."

As usual, I guess I need to be somewhere with World Class Internet.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    mrrmrr Posts: 69member
    Just watched the iTunes live stream of Paul McCartney live from Capitol Records Studio A in Hollywood.

Beautifully produced in vintage black & white with great sound production live in house orchestra featuring Diana Krall on piano.

Watched on big screen, full screen via FIOS isp and plugged into my home theater system. Sweet.