Purported 'iPad 3' back panel shows space for larger battery, new LCD

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

A component claimed to be the back panel for Apple's anticipated third-generation iPad shows room for a larger battery, and also implies the display will be mounted differently.

The purported "iPad 3" component was obtained by the Repair Labs at Fix-iPhones.com. In a side-by-side comparison of the new component with the iPad 2 back panel, the repair site found four key differences:

The alleged third-generation iPad back panel has "very different" mounts for the logic board, implying that the shape of the logic board in the next iPad will also be a major change.

This would allow for a larger battery within the iPad 3, because the width of where the logic board sits is much smaller on the new component.

The component also reveals that the camera on the new iPad will be "different," though any changes from the current iPad 2 cannot be deciphered from the panel.

Finally, the site also declared that the LCD display will also be "different" than the current iPad 2, based on different mounting in the new back panel. Apple is rumored to utilize a new, high-resolution Retina Display for its next iPad.

Citing an anonymous source, the repair site said that the housing for the iPad 3 does not appear to be any thicker than the iPad 2. Various rumors have suggested the next iPad will be slightly thicker than the current iPad 2, perhaps to accommodate for dual LED light bars for a Retina Display.

Apple is widely expected to launch a new third-generation iPad in March, one year after the iPad 2 debuted. Other claims of an event this month, however, have been declared false.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    First!
  • Reply 2 of 29
    It's actually the back panel for a new Samsung tablet.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ttollerton View Post

First!

Quite insightful.

Quote:

the camera on the new iPad will be "different,"

Light field. I'm calling it right now. Even though I don't believe it myself.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    It will be thicker than iPad 2??? Yikes...
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

The iPhone 3G was thicker than the iPhone. No one batted an eye.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

... Light field. I'm calling it right now. Even though I don't believe it myself.

Too soon.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

According to the rumors by about 2MM. So basically nothing that anyone would actually notice outside of perhaps having to replace a form fitting case
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The iPhone 3G was thicker than the iPhone. No one batted an eye.

That was before Apple made a big deal out of depth. I don't think adding thickness will matter, in some ways a little more will give it a more solid feel like the original. How much heavier will it be is the question.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Apple is not in the habit of making things thicker so I call BS in that. I certainly won't believe it based on silly internet rumors.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

That was before Apple made a big deal out of depth.

The first iPhone was the thinnest smartphone ever, and Apple sold it as such. They've always made a big deal about how thin their stuff is. The page for the aluminum pre-unibody PowerBook G4 and MacBook Pro on Apple.com ALWAYS mentioned how it was 1" thin (not thick, thin). When the 12" and 17" were released, they were pitched by Apple as the thinnest pro laptops ever.

Quote:

I don't think adding thickness will matter, in some ways a little more will give it a more solid feel like the original.

But still, you're right. I enjoy the feel of my first-gen much better than that of the iPad 2. It's just too thin!

Quote:

How much heavier will it be is the question.

Depends heavily on the density of the battery, I'd imagine.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    I'm ready for the retina display. I feel like the pixels on my iPad 2 are taunting me when I read.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

According to the rumors by about 2MM. So basically nothing that anyone would actually notice outside of perhaps having to replace a form fitting case

If the new iPad is 2mm thicker it will be very noticeable. Depending on the weight, it wouldn't be a problem for other than über geeks, however. But if the thing is also heavier... take cover! Noticeably thicker and heavier MAY be acceptable given a 'pro' monicker, but I imagine Apple would HATE bringing something like that to market.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ttollerton View Post

First!

You're kidding, right? I thought this kiddie game went out of style years ago.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    A better camera is always a welcome..I hope they suprise us with something that hasn't been speculated already through the rumor mill..
  • Reply 15 of 29
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    The article says:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Citing an anonymous source, the repair site said that the housing for the iPad 3 does not appear to be any thicker than the iPad 2.

You guys say:

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

So, where exactly, do you get from the article that it IS going to be thicker??
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Exactly!
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

The article says:

You guys say:

I was wondering when someone else would notice. I think these guys are talking about previous rumors but THIS article specifically calls out the fact that it is NOT thicker. Reading comprehension is one of the most undeveloped skills in this world. \
  • Reply 18 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Stereo speakers, please.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Typically, how far in advance Apple sends the invited before the event?

When do you think they will do it?
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Typically, how far in advance Apple sends the invited before the event?

A week.

Quote:

When do you think they will do it?

March.