Doubts cast on likelihood of quad-core A6 CPU in third-gen iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    With technology and software the way they are, and multitasking not really implemented as it's usually used, is 4 cores really necessary? I mean, we're not doing complicated math on these babies...
  • Reply 22 of 63
    Hey guys there was a leaked image of an iPad 3 (right case compared to an iPad 2 case (left). Watch this video to see the differences explained:

Image Explained: youtube.com/watch?v=JdX5eHNJ12A

Thanks Guys!

Comment your own opinion!
  • Reply 23 of 63
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShAdOwXPR View Post

A crappy camera I can live with (AR apps look horrible with iPad 2 crappy camera) but processing power and LTE for a tablet I expect to last me the next 2 years is really a must for me.

1) So you'd be happy with a lot more processing power and LTE regardless of how it could negatively affect the user experience, say by reducing the battery life from 10 to 5 hours? I know wouldn't, but thankfully Apple has a long history of bring great balance to their products.

2) Your current iPad is only slow because the iPad 2 is so much faster. Regardless of what the 3rd generation iPad is like the 4th generation will make it seem antiquated and slow.

3) If the next iPad gets the retina display that the GPU pushing 4x as many pixels. The iPad already pushes more pixels than the IPhone 4/4S so any argument that the iPhone handles the retina display well is a non-starter. All those pixels have a cost so unless there is a major breakthrough in some other associated tech there is likely going to be tweaking the performance to balance it out for the best overall user experience. As we saw with the iPhone 4 over the 3GS the GPU was much more power yet it only allowed for a lower FPS. Thems the breaks.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

With technology and software the way they are, and multitasking not really implemented as it's usually used, is 4 cores really necessary? I mean, we're not doing complicated math on these babies...

Actually we are, or at least some people are. There are apps which use complex algorithms and take up a lot of CPU power. And there's a lot of complicated math going on in certain games, especially 3D ones. Games and graphics is all about math. I use some music apps, and they can use all the CPU they can get. There's even a 48 Track recorder coming soon for the iPad.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    I call a flag on this rumor!

It doesn't make sense! Apple is going to give Nvidia and Android a whole year of spec claims about their tables and processors being faster? I don't think so. The Tegra 3 is actually 5 cores. One of them is used for power management when doing low level processes like reading an e-book.

I know you could say, "it's the overall experience, not the specs", "benchmarks don't mean anything in the real world". But a dual core processor wouldn't even make sense against a 5 core tablet.

Apple makes their own chips, but they're still making them off of the same Architecture as Nvidia. They both ARM designs, just tweaked.

I think this rumor is BS!
  • Reply 26 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) So you'd be happy with a lot more processing power and LTE regardless of how it could negatively affect the user experience, say by reducing the battery life from 10 to 5 hours? I know wouldn't, but thankfully Apple has a long history of bring great balance to their products.

2) Your current iPad is only slow because the iPad 2 is so much faster. Regardless of what the 3rd generation iPad is like the 4th generation will make it seem antiquated and slow.

3) If the next iPad gets the retina display that the GPU pushing 4x as many pixels. The iPad already pushes more pixels than the IPhone 4/4S so any argument that the iPhone handles the retina display well is a non-starter. All those pixels have a cost so unless there is a major breakthrough in some other associated tech there is likely going to be tweaking the performance to balance it out for the best overall user experience. As we saw with the iPhone 4 over the 3GS the GPU was much more power yet it only allowed for a lower FPS. Thems the breaks.

You are missing my point, I'm looking for future prove hardwear. A new CPU will also be on the iPhone 5 and will be come the base line for this generation of developers. The same with LTE and connectivity all the networks are rolling out LTE so not having that feature will cut short the usefulness of the hardware from my perspective. Nothing to do with performance or battery live etc...
  • Reply 27 of 63
    Quote:

You are missing my point, I'm looking for future prove hardwear. A new CPU will also be on the iPhone 5 and will be come the base line for this generation of developers. The same with LTE and connectivity all the networks are rolling out LTE so nit having that feature will cut shirt the usefulness of the harwear from my perspective. Nothing to do with performance or battery live etc...

1) You're missing the point if you think Apple will had new HW for the sake of adding new HW even if ruins the user experience.

2) I don't there is any precedence for Apple adding better baseband tech to the iPad before the iPhone. That doesn't mean it won't happen but that does mean you should hedge your expectations.

3) Apple has a history of doing balanced HW updates. This typically means a major change to no more than a couple areas they can market. Every now and then things line up to allow for multiple changes at once, like the iPhone 4 with double the resolution, the newly introduced Apple A4 SoC/Pop, and the external antenna. If Apple comes out with an dual-core Cortex-A9 ! 1.2GHz, 1GB RAM, quad-core PowerVR GPU without having less battery life I'd be happy.

4) There is no future proofing CE!!! If you get a major jump one year you'll expect a major jump the next year and developers will use the new performance to push the device every further thus causing your 2 year old device to still feel slow compared to newer tech.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    Quote:

1) You're missing the point if you think Apple will had new HW for the sake of adding new HW even if ruins the user experience.

2) I don't there is any precedence for Apple adding better baseband tech to the iPad before the iPhone. That doesn't mean it won't happen but that does mean you should hedge your expectations.

3) Apple has a history of doing balanced HW updates. This typically means a major change to no more than a couple areas they can market. Every now and then things line up to allow for multiple changes at once, like the iPhone 4 with double the resolution, the newly introduced Apple A4 SoC/Pop, and the external antenna. If Apple comes out with an dual-core Cortex-A9 ! 1.2GHz, 1GB RAM, quad-core PowerVR GPU without having less battery life I'd be happy.

4) There is no future proofing CE!!! If you get a major jump one year you'll expect a major jump the next year and developers will use the new performance to push the device every further thus causing your 2 year old device to still feel slow compared to newer tech.

Again I'm not talking about user experience but hardware that is future proof for me to upgrade. And LTE was expected on iPhone 4s which makes it possible onipad 3 with a bigger battery. Also all new hardwear right now is LTE, Verizon only new hardware without LTE is the 4s. Nothing I'm thinking for the iPad 3 is someone thet is not already on the competition hardwear so to keep apple lead they should stay on par with them IMHO. I disagree you can future prof with apple if you upgrade on the big change not the 4s type of upgrades. iPad 1-ipad3 if besides retina it's LTE and new CPU/GPU the same with iPhone 4-iphone5...
  • Reply 29 of 63
    Quote:

Again I'm not talking about user experience but hardware that is future proof for me to upgrade. And LTE was expected on iPhone 4s which makes it possible onipad 3 with a bigger battery. Also all new hardwear right now is LTE, Verizon only new hardware without LTE is the 4s. Nothing I'm thinking for the iPad 3 is someone thet is not already on the competition hardwear so to keep apple lead they should stay on par with them IMHO. I disagree you can future prof with apple if you upgrade on the big change not the 4s type of upgrades. iPad 1-ipad3 if besides retina it's LTE and new CPU/GPU the same with iPhone 4-iphone5...

1) Again, there is no future proofing. There will be something much better rumoured device that will make your current device pale in comparison. From Apple you will get the best that can made at that time so to wish for some spec list item just because it's a hot buzzword without any consideration as to how it will affect the rest of the device is myopic.

2) You do realize that your argument that the Apple's iPad 3 should have LTE is because everything but Apple's newly iPhone has LTE is ironic, right?
  • Reply 30 of 63
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

1) Again, there is no future proofing. There will be something much better rumoured device that will make your current device pale in comparison. From Apple you will get the best that can made at that time so to wish for some spec list item just because it's a hot buzzword without any consideration as to how it will affect the rest of the device is myopic.

2) You do realize that your argument that the Apple's iPad 3 should have LTE is because everything but Apple's newly iPhone has LTE is ironic, right?

I'm going to jump in here and try and assist here with the 'future proofing' message.

Future-proofing.

It currently isn't supported by anyone.
  • Reply 31 of 63
    Quote:

Not really LTE is the communications standar of the hardware, if iPad 3 is not LTE and in a year all mayor carrier have rolled out their LTE networks. It could be a huge negative on the hardware...
  • Reply 32 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I'm going to jump in here and try and assist here with the 'future proofing' message.

Future-proofing.

It currently isn't supported by anyone.

Truer word have never been spoken in CE.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    Quote:

Not really LTE is the communications standar of the hardware, if iPad 3 is not LTE and in a year all mayor carrier have rolled out their LTE networks. It could be a huge negative on the hardware...

There are lots of communication standards, that isn't reason to chuck them in something, especially if there is a negative impact on the overall user experience.

Again, and for the last time, I'm not against LTE in the iPad, in fact I'm all for it, but you need to consider the reasons why Apple wouldn't or couldn't put LTE in the iPad. By not considering them you are proving that you are not being objective or rigorous in you understanding of the state of the technology, Apple's history or their modus operandi.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    Quote:

There are lots of communication standards, that isn't reason to chuck them in something, especially if there is a negative impact on the overall user experience.

Again, and for the last time, I'm not against LTE in the iPad, in fact I'm all for it, but you need to consider the reasons why Apple wouldn't or couldn't put LTE in the iPad. By not considering them you are proving that you are not being objective or rigorous in you understanding of the state of the technology, Apple's history or their modus operandi.

Well besides battery impact I don't see what will prevent them to do it. And ipad 3 should have plenty on battery capacity for LTE antenna IMHO...
  • Reply 35 of 63
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

By not considering them you are proving that you are not being objective or rigorous in you understanding of the state of the technology, Apple's history or their modus operandi.

That is true. It's not hard for anybody to just take the latest technology and slap it all together and release it to the public without any thought. That's what most Android manufacturers do. Apple doesn't do that. If for example LTE would decrease the battery time by a significant amount, then Apple is not going to currently offer it. If somebody is just shopping for features and not thinking about the actual usage of the device that they are buying, then they should just buy an Android tablet. They might be able to boast that they have more RAM, but in the end, it will still run like shit compared to the iPad.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    Quote:

Well besides battery impact I don't see what will prevent them to do it. And ipad 3 should have plenty on battery capacity for LTE antenna IMHO...

Battery impact is a big one for Apple. They didn't include a '3G' chip in the original iPhone nor did they include a '4G" chip in the iPhone 4S, yet prior to both being released it was stated that they have to otherwise they won't be able to compete.

Now look at the tablet market. Apple has no competition. There closest rival is a fork of Android for a stunted eBook reader with some media options. I didn't see any potential threat to their tablet dominance at CES (the overall focus was on ultraportable notebooks) and if they come out with an iPad with 265 PPI this year I think they will have closed off any threat for the foreseeable future.

Now consider that iPads with cellular tech aren't the most commonly sold, yet every iPhone comes with cellular tech by its nature. That gives the inclusion even less of reason to be added simply for the sake of being added to meet some mythical spec sheet requirement.

Adding to all the other points I've made I would bet against Apple including LTE despite my hope that it is ready for the iPad and that the iPad is ready this month.
  • Reply 37 of 63
    Quote:

Perhaps if you were to list the specific features that you felt were bandwidth restricted...?
  • Reply 38 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Perhaps if you were to list the specific features that you felt were bandwidth restricted...?

I think something more important would be features that are 'bandwidth restricted' that WOULDN'T also be telecom restricted due to the data caps.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I think something more important would be features that are 'bandwidth restricted' that WOULDN'T also be telecom restricted due to the data caps.

Ah! Good point!

Anybody who would like to argue this, please feel free to FaceTime me.

Sorry.

I'm not on a network right now.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Here we go again.

As long as we got +50% in CPU performance I'm happy quad or not.

Well, a faster-clocked/ better architecture dualcore CPU is perfectly fine. Boosting GPU for Retina, gaming, etc. is more important, I feel.

I just finished "Bastion" last night on my Xbox360. Superb indie game... Mixture of "dungeon crawling" (except in the air, with a great Miyazaki "Laputa Castle In The Cloud" feel, intriguing storyline, hack-and-slash that's not too brainless, RPG elements, a few interesting sidequests, and *insanely good* artwork. Mainly 2D, with a few elements in 3D.

1280x720 resolution. Should be *smoothly* adapted for the iPad 3, can't wait for them to do it... if they do it. Hook it up to your HDTV and have the iPad as the "controller". Boom! One step closer to iPad4 DX10-quality graphics Unreal Engine 4 full-spec.

BRING IT ON