Apple said to hold 'iPad 3' event first week in March

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Apple will reportedly hold a media event the first week in March in San Francisco to unveil its third-generation iPad, which is expected to go on sale soon after it is unveiled.

Citing unnamed sources, AllThingsD reported on Thursday that Apple's so-called "iPad 3" will debut at a special event to be held the first week in March. That means the next-generation tablet will be shown off in the next three to four weeks.

Author John Paczkowski said the device will be largely the same as rumors have suggested, with a high-resolution Retina Display in the range of 2,048-by-1,536 pixels along with a "much faster" processor and improved graphics processing.

Paczkowski also asked a source whether 2012 will be "the year of the iPad 3," and they reportedly said, "what do you think?" Last year at the iPad 2 unveiling in March, Apple killed off rumors that a new iPad model would launch later in the year by declaring 2011 the "Year of iPad 2."

Last year, the iPad 2 was unveiled at a media event at San Francisco's Yerba Buena Center for the Arts on Wednesday, March 2. Thursday's rumor suggests that the new iPad will debut at a similar point in the year. The month of March kicks off on a Thursday in three weeks.

The rumored date comes as a flurry of pictures claim to show components for Apple's third-generation iPad, including one that purports to be a high-resolution Retina Display manufactured by Sharp for the anticipated tablet's 9.7-inch touchscreen. Separately, a pair of reports claim to show both the outside and inside of the device's back panel, suggesting it will include space internally for a larger battery.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    Bring it on Apple! Sold my iPad 2 on eBay last weekend. I've been waiting for this...yeah!
  • Reply 2 of 83
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Personally I think that this year will be remembered as the year of the redesigned iPhone 5, I'm guessing the iPad 3 will actually be more like an iPad 2S, nothing wrong with that!
  • Reply 3 of 83
    ...and Jim Dalrymple at THE LOOP confirms...
  • Reply 4 of 83
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I hope so. I've been without an iPad for too long now.
  • Reply 5 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Personally I think that this year will be remembered as the year of the redesigned iPhone 5, I'm guessing the iPad 3 will actually be more like an iPad 2S, nothing wrong with that!

iPhone 5!?!

You're asking for a bag of hurt.
  • Reply 6 of 83
    This better have brilliant graphics processing power for all those pixels if this is gonna be a serious gaming device.
  • Reply 7 of 83
    are iPads normally available for orders online? why would people fall in line for hours if they could buy it online?
  • Reply 8 of 83
    In other News, Apple has lost again in Germany.

Apple Loses Bid to Ban German Samsung Sales

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...tab-10-1n.html
  • Reply 9 of 83
    toruktoruk Posts: 38member
    The iPad seems to be following the lineage of the iPhone; the first generation introduced the concept, the second generation refined the first, the third generation improved the third and the fourth generation perfected the third.

Incidentally, the iPad 3 will be my first iPad.
  • Reply 10 of 83
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Go Apple!!! Can't wait. This time around I go for the fully loaded version. Fingers crossed for 128 GB

Watch sales explode on the iPad 2 when keep it in the line-up and drop the price. EXPLODE
  • Reply 11 of 83
    I'm holding out for the iPad 13...
  • Reply 12 of 83
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Oh goody, my wife will be inheriting an iPad 2 then

The one time 'gulf' between Apple and the other so called iPad killers must seem like the Atlantic to them now.

What became of the 'Strange or Unusual' event in February? Was it the Paul McCartney Live Stream maybe, something I missed or or just a false rumor?
  • Reply 13 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Actually, that's:

iPad XIII

Apple marketing will be afraid of the repercussions from writing "13".
  • Reply 14 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh goody, my wife will be inheriting an iPad 2 then

I may have missed it but what became of the 'Strange or Unusual' event in February? Was it the Paul McCartney Live Stream maybe, something I missed or or just a false rumor?

The announcement for the event will include the date, February 34th.
  • Reply 15 of 83
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Actually, that's:

iPad XIII

Apple marketing will be afraid of the repercussions from writing "13".

Apple never goes higher than 10 or is that X
  • Reply 16 of 83
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Replaced our old LG Lotus phones w/iPhones yesterday. Both buying iPad 3's when they come out to replace the single original iPad we have, which our 2 daughters will be sharing now. The smart money ahs been on March for a long time really, not surprised to hear this at all.

Now if only Ivy Bridge would hurry up and drop. My tax return is burning a hole in my pocket for a new computer
  • Reply 17 of 83
    Bring it, I'm ready to buy my first iPad!
  • Reply 18 of 83
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Replaced our old LG Lotus phones w/iPhones yesterday. Both buying iPad 3's when they come out to replace the single original iPad we have, which our 2 daughters will be sharing now. The smart money ahs been on March for a long time really, not surprised to hear this at all.

Now if only Ivy Bridge would hurry up and drop. My tax return is burning a hole in my pocket for a new computer

I am with you on a new ivy bridge MBP.....can't wait!
  • Reply 19 of 83
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Apple never go higher than 10 or is that X

I'm hoping they abandon the number thing for both iPhone and iPad once 4G LTE gets in both. Kinda like they do with the Macs, they have a version number that's not printed on the outside and people refer to them based on the release year.

Imagine how many arguments about a GD number that we wouldn't ever see on AI!

posted from my MacBookPro8,3
  • Reply 20 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blueeddie View Post

are iPads normally available for orders online? why would people fall in line for hours if they could buy it online?

This question comes up again and again and again at each Apple product release (particularly iPhones and iPads).

Pay attention now so you won't be asking this when the iPhone 5 is about to release.

1. Some people like actually going to bricks-and-mortars stores for such a debut. It's an event, they chat with people with similar interests while they wait in line, then hopefully they are the proud owners of the device in question on the very first day.

2. Online orders are sometimes delayed or staggered so the delivery date is after the release date. For some, they would rather stand in line at a bricks-and-mortar shop rather than risk having the delivery of the item delayed by days, sometimes weeks.

Let's face it. The aspects of a live, in-person event are sometimes more appealing than just passively doing it from the comfort of your living room similar to the fact that you can watch a sports event on the TV or you can go to the game.