Apple now worth more than Google and Microsoft combined [u]

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014

First on AI: Apple's stock soared to new heights on Thursday, pushing the company's market capitalization to $456 billion, a number that is greater than the values of rivals Google and Microsoft combined.

As of Thursday morning, Microsoft's market cap was around $256.7 billion, while Google was valued at around $198.9 billion. With Apple's stock up more than 3 percent in morning trading, the company surpassed the combined totals of both Google and Microsoft.

The milestone comes soon after Apple reported its best quarter ever, earning $13.06 billion on sales of 37 million iPhones, 15 million iPads and 5.2 million Macs. Total revenue for Apple's holiday quarter was $46.33 billion.

But Google's shares fell more than 9 percent last month after the company missed expectations on Wall Street for both earnings and revenue. And while Microsoft met Wall Street expectations, revenue from its Windows operating system fell 6 percent to $4.74 billion.

Apple's market capitalization passed Microsoft alone in May of 2010 when the iPhone maker's value hit around $222 billion. And last August was the first time that Apple passed Exxon to become the world's largest company by market cap, then with a value of $346.74 billion.

As of Thursday morning, Apple was well ahead of Exxon Mobil, which had a market cap of around $402 billion. That put Apple at a value of more than $50 billion more than the oil giant.

With AAPL stock north of $490, some Wall Street analysts on Thursday began increasing their price targets for the iPhone maker. Charlie Wolf with Needham & Company upped his estimate from $540 to $620, while Mike Walkley with Canaccord Genuity raised his target on AAPL shares even higher, to $665.

Update: Fortune has posted a few comparative metrics to AAPL's valuation and finds that the company is now worth more than the gross domestic product of Sweden ($458 billion), all the gold in the Federal Reserve ($350 billion), and more than 2.5 Apollo space programs ($145-$170 billion apiece), among others.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 190
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    What just happened to the stock?

Holy cow!
  • Reply 2 of 190
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Cool. I keep meeting people that think because GOOG is higher than AAPL Google is worth more. LOL
  • Reply 3 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Holy cow!

Wow ... Holy Cow is right . 493.18 .might hit 500 .... although I am expecting it to drop back a wee bit for a while soon (but maybe not) but it will go on up to the mid 600s in a year or so ...
  • Reply 4 of 190
    while Google was valued at around $198.9 million

Million should be Billion??
  • Reply 5 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philtuttle View Post
    while Google was valued at around $198.9 million

Million should be Billion??

Maybe an bit of clairvoyance slipped in, that's Google in a few years ...
  • Reply 6 of 190
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Cool. I keep meeting people that think because GOOG is higher than AAPL Google is worth more. LOL

iPhone revenues alone exceed GOOG valuation.
  • Reply 7 of 190
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Did Apple earn more profit than MS and Google combined in the last quarter?

edit: Google's non-GAAP net income for the last quarter was $3.13 billion while MS's net income was $6.62 billion for a total of $9.81 billion. Apple's net income was $13.06 billion or 33% higher than the two companies combined. Sounds to me Apple's valuation is low.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You do live in Florida.... America's wang.
  • Reply 8 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

iPhone revenues alone exceed GOOG valuation.

So true.
  • Reply 9 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You do live in Florida.... America's wang.

I had to look that up LOL.

I must watch that episode.
  • Reply 10 of 190
    Wait...Where's Slappy to tell us that Android is Winning?

Where's the haters to tell us how "innovative" Microsoft is with its Windows Phones?

Funny, I don't seem to hear anything...
  • Reply 11 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Holy cow!

I think it is Samsung's stylus that did it. With one massive, collective sob, the shorts all threw in the towel when that brilliant piece of technology was announced.
  • Reply 12 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think it is Samsung's stylus that did it. The shorts all threw in the towel when that brilliant piece of technology was announced.

So to paraphrase Bart, a kind of 'eat your shorts' moment?
  • Reply 13 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think it is Samsung's stylus that did it. With one massive, collective sob, the shorts all threw in the towel when that brilliant piece of technology was announced.

I LOL'd at Teh Superbowl ad: "It has a pen!?!?!"
  • Reply 14 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Alternatively, the question that should be asked is "will Apple earn more than MS and Google combined in a future quarter?"
  • Reply 15 of 190
    Apple is about to unveil the "Sell a share, get an iPad" program.
  • Reply 16 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

Apple is about to unveil the "Sell a share, get an iPad" program.

• Reply 17 of 190
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Damn. Its getting harder and harder to hold on to that 'underdog' feeling. Its much harder to claim the moral high ground when you are ... well, HUGE!
  • Reply 18 of 190
    Today I'm a happy man. Thanks again AAPL!
  • Reply 19 of 190
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I am glad Steve lived long enough to see Apple transition from his parents' garage to most valuable company in the world.
  • Reply 20 of 190
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Where's the haters to tell us how "innovative" Microsoft is with its Windows Phones?

WP7 is innovative but being innovative doesn't make a product popular. Even being better tech doesn't mean a product wins over inferior tech as there are many other aspects to be considered. I think MS's biggest problem with WP7 is that they decided to keep the Windows name. If they had only rebranded it they could have shed a lot of what people dislike about MS. I also think they could have taken a solid hold of the tablet industry had they focused on that with the WP7 UI instead of focusing on a phone that they clearly are very late to market. Does that really make an Apple hater?