Apple said to hold 'iPad 3' event first week in March

135

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 83
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post


    Go Apple!!! Can't wait. This time around I go for the fully loaded version. Fingers crossed for 128 GB



    Watch sales explode on the iPad 2 when keep it in the line-up and drop the price. EXPLODE



    Agreed. Apple's new line-up...



    iPod Touch $169

    iPod Touch XL $249 (6" inch screen)

    iPad 2 $399

    iPad 3 $499
  • Reply 42 of 83
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post


    Agreed. Apple's new line-up...



    iPod Touch $169

    iPod Touch XL $249 (6" inch screen)

    iPad 2 $399

    iPad 3 $499



    We've seen no leaks but I think a larger iPod Touch seems like a good fit.
  • Reply 43 of 83
    I've been holding out with an iPod Touch from 2009, now I really want iPad 3.



    AAPL is at 493.64.....sheesh!
  • Reply 44 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    Remember that with different models come different dynamics. Apple only sells previous generation HW as current when it comes to the iPhone, nothing else.



    No, we can't say this yet. The first time the iPhone sold more than one model at once was upon the introduction of the third model in the line.



    The same thing happened with the iPod touch at the same time.



    And we're just now coming up on the third model of iPad. Apple has created a pattern with their first two iOS devices; it's quite plausible to believe they will continue it with the iPad.



    Quote:

    2) We also have no idea how much this display, the GPU, battery size increase, production success, or anything else related to this display will cost Apple.



    Again, Apple has set up a pattern here. Never has any iOS cost more than the previous model. In fact, with the iPod touch, the price has dropped drastically YOY.



    Quote:

    3) There is no tablet competition for Apple! I think your idea that the current iPad could drop by $100 makes sense but it also makes sense that Apple doesn't have to with the state of the tablet industry.



    Indeed, they don't have to. They could sell the 16GB iPad 2 at $699 with probably only a 18% drop in marketshare.



    But they don't care abut that. Tim Cook cares about marketshare. At least for the Mac, and I'm sure iOS devices, since Forstall would.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post


    iPod Touch XL $249 (6" inch screen)



    Everything but this sounds just about right.
  • Reply 45 of 83
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    No, we can't say this yet. The first time the iPhone sold more than one model at once was upon the introduction of the third model in the line.



    The same thing happened with the iPod touch at the same time.



    I do not recall Apple selling the older generation iPod Touch alongside the newer generation iPod Touch upon the release of the 3rd gen.



    Quote:

    Again, Apple has set up a pattern here. Never has any iDevice cost more than the previous model. In fact, with the iPod touch, the price has dropped drastically YOY.



    I recall there are many examples of iDevices costing more than their replacement. For example*, he iPods from July 2004 were priced at $299 and $399 and the iPod from October 2004 were priced at $349, $499, $599.



    You can say that the lowest of these two were different capacities, but I accounted for that in my mention of the Retina Display iPad as a possible scenario due to the ability to source enough of these high-end displays. Also, the 40GB models have a price difference of $100. The next argument is likely that these are different devices because uses the monochrome display and the other the color display, but that's a display change that is causing the price discrepancy here.



    Again, you have to consider the unknowns. If this display can only produce 1/2 million useable panels per week with a cost that is $50 more than the current display + backlight + plus more powerful GPU + slightly bigger battery then putting it in the lowest tier iPad for $499 isn't a smart move.



    * Only listing one because Wikipedia no longer has the original prices which means I'm using MacTracker, a great program but takes too long to locate this type of data.
  • Reply 46 of 83
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 2,746member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post


    Some day you will come to the understanding that 95+% of the Apple rumors published on tech gossip sites are false.



    Listen carefully: Everything Harry Mudd says is a lie.
  • Reply 47 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    I do not recall Apple selling the older generation iPod Touch alongside the newer generation iPod Touch upon the release of the 3rd gen.



    Really? I do. (Disclaimer: My memory doesn't exist. It's not Memento-level bad, but it's close.) I'll check MacTracker.



    2nd gen iPod touch. Sold until September 2010. So yep, it happened.



    Quote:

    I recall there are many examples of iDevices costing more than their replacement. For example*, he iPods from July 2004 were priced at $299 and $399 and the iPod from October 2004 were priced at $349, $499, $599.



    Sorry, I said iDevice. I meant iOS device. Eventually they won't mean different things, but I should be more accurate with it...
  • Reply 48 of 83
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Really? I do. (Disclaimer: My memory doesn't exist. It's not Memento-level bad, but it's close.) I'll check MacTracker.



    2nd gen iPod touch. Sold until September 2010. So yep, it happened.



    Yes, Ive confirmed they sold the 8GB G2 iPod Touch for an additional year next to the higher capacity G3 iPod Touches. That does fall in line with the iPhone. Note that I did say that makes sense in an earlier post.



    However, none of that negates the other points I made. If you have an argument that there will be no production issues that doesn't effect the current display production or that there will be no price difference that could require Apple raise the price then I'm willing to hear it. Ask yourself, is it better for Apple to bring Retina Display to the high-end iPas now or wait a year to bring it to all iPads? I think its pinnacle that Apple bring it to market now even if that means a slightly higher price point and/or only in the higher-end models.
  • Reply 49 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    3) There is no tablet competition for Apple! I think your idea that the current iPad could drop by $100 makes sense but it also makes sense that Apple doesn't have to with the state of the tablet industry.



    Sometimes, companies with few, or no, current competitors keep their prices somewhat low to prevent other companies from entering that market. For example, a potential competing company might think, "I was thinking of making tablets to compete with the iPad, but the iPad price is so low that I would make little or no profit. So, I won't even try."
  • Reply 50 of 83
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boboosta View Post


    Sometimes, companies with few, or no, current competitors keep their prices somewhat low to prevent other companies from entering that market. For example, a potential competing company might think, "I was thinking of making tablets to compete with the iPad, but the iPad price is so low that I would make little or no profit. So, I won't even try."



    It could be argued that Apple already has done that with their $500 iPad. The closest we've seen to besting the iPad in price only came from the second half of 2011 and were 7" tablets.



    Now Asus and couple others have tablets that fall about $100 less than the iPad with a good 10" IPS display. In some ways they appear to be slightly better than the display on the iPad. These competitors seems to be the best reason for Apple to hit the $399 mark with the iPad 2.



    Still, it makes no sense for Apple to lose significant profit on a tablet when it doesn't have to and so far I've heard no argument that a 265 PPI display for the iPad and its supporting HW will be near the current component prices of the current iPad or that they can produce as many usable units as the current display.
  • Reply 51 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    Ask yourself, is it better for Apple to bring Retina Display to the high-end iPas now or wait a year to bring it to all iPads?



    I believe they'll bring it to all (new) iPads THIS year, and without higher prices. I see all models of iPad 3 getting a retina display, even if that means supply constraints for a few months. Not that it would appear any different from reality since demand is high enough to make it look like supplies are constrained all the time. If there IS an iPad 3 event the first week of March, I figure it'll go down like I said earlier: Introduction of the iPad 3, preorders starting that day, iPad 2 drops to $399 starting that day, iPad 3 ships mid to late April.



    Preorders allow them to gauge demand (and for the sake of the situation, let's call 'huge demand' 'incredibly low demand' and 'astronomical demand' 'huge demand', since using just low and huge makes it seem lower than it actually is), and if there's a mid, high, or huge demand, they have a month or so to adjust shipping times so that people know what they're getting into.



    You people are making me an optimist and I don't like it. I'm not sure the me of a few years ago would have said there wouldn't be significant supply constraints and I'm not sure the me of a few years ago would have argued against a higher price.
  • Reply 52 of 83
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    I believe they'll bring it to all (new) iPads THIS year, and without higher prices.



    I hope they do too, I'm just trying to be pragmatic and objective.



    I also hope they officially announce the event in 5 minutes, hold the event in one hour and they go on sale tomorrow, and that none of it matters to me because Tim Cook is in a helicopter right now to bring me a free iPad 3... and the helicopter he came in. But I don't however think any of that will happen.
  • Reply 53 of 83
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    1) Remember that with different models come different dynamics. Apple only sells previous generation HW as current when it comes to the iPhone, nothing else.



    That is not at all true. There were many times when Apple retained an older model in the mix after introducing a new one. It has happened with Macs as well as with MacBooks. Sometimes, they keep the older model only for eduction, but not always.



    Furthermore, that's the kind of policy that can very easily be changed at little cost. As it becomes harder to show annual double (and triple) digit growth rates, it may be necessary for looking for growth - particularly in markets where price is more critical than in the U.S.
  • Reply 54 of 83
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    That is not at all true. There were many times when Apple retained an older model in the mix after introducing a new one. It has happened with Macs as well as with MacBooks.



    Sometimes, they keep the older model only for eduction, but not always.



    Education doesn't count since it's not suppose to be bought by typical customers. TS already pointed out the Touch followed the iPhone on the release of the 3rd gen so if that follows we'll see the iPad 2 at 16GB follow suit.



    Regarding the 8GB G2 iPod Touch after the 32Gb and 64GB G3 Touches arrived for $299 and $399, respectively, did Apple drop the price for the G2 TOuch from $229 or keep it the same? They drop the iPhone prices but the subsidy plays a role in keeping the cost to the carriers high.
  • Reply 55 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    Education doesn't count since it's not suppose to be bought by typical customers.



    iPad 2, 8 Gig in white plastic for textbooks. Sold only to local school districts. $250.00.
  • Reply 56 of 83
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post


    iPad 2, 8 Gig in white plastic for textbooks. Sold only to local school districts. $250.00.



    I could see an education-only iPad but 8GB wouldn't be enough. Looking at the size of the textbooks they currently have 32GB seems like it would barely work.
  • Reply 57 of 83
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    Education doesn't count since it's not suppose to be bought by typical customers. TS already pointed out the Touch followed the iPhone on the release of the 3rd gen so if that follows we'll see the iPad 2 at 16GB follow suit.



    I don't know why education wouldn't count. Probably 40% of the US population qualifies.



    Furthermore, as I pointed out, it was not only education. There were plenty of other times that Apple continued to sell discontinued models of Macs and MacBooks.
  • Reply 58 of 83
    can't wait I finally feel ready to buy an ipad now.. you know how hard its been holding back from buying any of the other available models ...I feel the retina display is what I've been waiting for
  • Reply 59 of 83
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    that $19 jump just paid for let me see about 20 new iPad for me, and thats not counting the $135 jump from when I bought them at 355



    yippeee. My old iPad2 will stay on the bedside table, and I'll get a new one for going out and about

    fantastic. I may even buy a new macbook air



    1 share of apple is now about the price of an iPad!
  • Reply 60 of 83
    Sounds about right.



    That means the invitations go out the last week in February and that means 3 whole weeks of "leaks" & free "Speculative Publicity".



    Of course, this could apply for any date.



    We'll see -- that fu**er'd better be quadcore ...



    Anyone check the Yerba Buena/Moscone center's March 2012 schedule yet?
Sign In or Register to comment.