Apple to disrupt notebook space with radically redesigned MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 101 of 321
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

I think they should make the Airs more air and the Pros more pro.

My 12" air is fantastic, so the airs are in good shape, but the pros seem a bit lost and the idea of making them more like airs seems a bit committee-like.

I wonder what would make a pro more pro in an Apple way. Graphics for sure, to seriously challenge the gaming industry. High quality sound, maybe Jonny Ive can work with bose to figure out how to laser waveguides into the chassis.

No, making the pros more airy would make them half-baked as airs and as pros. Professionals need the power, so it's going to be weighty, so go the other way. One thing should be for sure - it would be expensive.

I think you and others have a very incorrect view of what the redesigned MBPs will be. Making them more like the MBAs is really just losing the ODD (seriously not needed), which allows them to be thinner overall tapered.

It does not mean they will use CULV CPUs.

It does not mean they will lose nearly all ports.

It does not mean the battery life will be cut in half.

It does not mean the RAM will be soldered.

It does not mean there will be no place for a 2.5" HDD/SSD.

It does not mean there will be no discrete GPU.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CMF View Post

Sure. Although, given recent events, it seems like they would want to do this with Thunderbolt and GigE on the same cable. My big gripe with USB has always been the lack of things like Target Disk Mode and full speed pass-through if you daisy-chain multiple devices. I avoid USB external drives like the plague (Save for my Mom's machine - Early 2009 Unibody MacBook - No FireWire)

Thunderbolt (at least in terms of capability) is closer to FireWire, but hopefully the Intel support will help this finally take hold.

For it to use Thunderbolt I think the other end will need to have a Thunderbolt controller so an Ethernet dongle simply can't happen like it can with USB.

As for TDM, that is such an old solution that requires two Macs. If you have Mac OS installed on a partition you simply hold down the Option key and boot into it. That means your TM drive, a USB flash drive, an SD card, an external HDD/SSD, etc. That said, it's even less of an issue today with the two methods for restoring Mac OS X to a system that came about with Lion and new firmware updates.
  • Reply 102 of 321
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Use the Cloud with WIFI.

Terrible solution for multiple reasons:

- WiFi availability constrains

- Editing gigabytes worth of multimedia

- Cloud storage is limited and otherwise an additional ongoing cost

you get the idea
  • Reply 103 of 321
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

What is it about people not grasping that a laptop is a portable device and that carrying around external dongles for port that are easy to include internally is a waste! That doesn't even get into the fact that USB dongles don't work very well.

The same thing applies to external storage, it isn't the right solution.

Yes, it seems there's a lot of geeks walking around wearing internet pants. Lots of pockets for all the cables, adapters and dongles that every geek needs. It's also one of the reasons that Apple sometimes winds me up, with their never-going-to-catch-on-as-a-standard video ports that don't connect to anything in a normal person's house or office.
  • Reply 104 of 321
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

p.s. I was just listing to some Hot Tuna, do you ever get those Hezetation Blues too?

Well, if the river was whiskey, said, I was a duck

You know I'd swim to the bottom, Lord

And never come up

Tell me how long,

Do I have to wait?
  • Reply 105 of 321
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think you and others have a very incorrect view of what the redesigned MBPs will be. Making them more like the MBAs is really just losing the ODD (seriously not needed), which allows them to be thinner overall tapered.

It does not mean they will use CULV CPUs.

It does not mean they will lose nearly all ports.

It does not mean the battery life will be cut in half.

It does not mean the RAM will be soldered.

It does not mean there will be no place for a 2.5" HDD/SSD.

It does not mean there will be no discrete GPU.

It's not that I think any of those things are going to happen. I think it's more a case that the middle-level of users are moving more toward the airs than the pros for average use, so for the pros to be a valuable distinction they should move upwards (away from the middle) to serve media pros and high-end gamers.

If the optical drive came out, I'd guess pro users would rather use the space for increased multi-media power, battery-life and ruggedness than a slimmer pro laptop.
  • Reply 106 of 321
    cmfcmf Posts: 66member
    Quote:

For it to use Thunderbolt I think the other end will need to have a Thunderbolt controller so an Ethernet dongle simply can't happen like it can with USB.

As for TDM, that is such an old solution that requires two Macs. If you have Mac OS installed on a partition you simply hold down the Option key and boot into it. That means your TM drive, a USB flash drive, an SD card, an external HDD/SSD, etc. That said, it's even less of an issue today with the two methods for restoring Mac OS X to a system that came about with Lion and new firmware updates.

I forgot about the active cabling bit with Thunderbolt so that could be holding it up. That said, it's still a concept (Ethernet+TB cable) that would be interesting to see.

The main reason I brought up TDM is because the 2 times I needed to use it, it has either:
    1. Allowed me to install software on old machines without a SuperDrive (Drive sharing rocks )

2. Saved me from losing all my data when an OS update makes it impossible to boot the machine (10.5.2 update, I'm looking in your direction )

My current machine is a late 2007 C2D 15", so I don't really know what the Internet Recovery experience is like, but it is something I'm looking forward to - planning to upgrade when these machines become reality.
  • Reply 107 of 321
    I'm definitely looking forward to smaller, lighter machines with SSD boot drives.

OTOH over 325GB of my internal HD is used and our corporate WiFi is saturated with phones, tablets and MacBook Airs so everyone who can use Ethernet is required to do so. I find even small file transfers are much faster on Ethernet so I plug in whenever possible.

Although I don't need a better CPU or GPU than I already have plenty of Pro users do. The Air probably couldn't cool high performance chips and maintain any sort of usable battery life.

I expect Apple will produce a MacBook Pro that accommodates its high end users in an amazing new form factor.
  • Reply 108 of 321
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Don't forget the fans ;-)

I think they will have lots of fans -- the current line sure does. The numbers just keep bigger all the time.

Not those kind of fans, these are the ones for cooling!

• Reply 109 of 321
    Quote:

Sonnet appear to have one now "Sonnet?s Presto? Gigabit Ethernet Thunderbolt Adapter converts a Thunderbolt connector to a Gigabit Ethernet port.".

I'm in the market for a new laptop to replace my ageing MBP. I'd be happy for it to be lighter, thinner and SSD as long as it had reasonable capacity. I think inevitably I'll end up with a Pegasus style storage device at home for photo libraries and video but it would be nice to have at least 512GB on the machine.

At the office I would definitely prefer ethernet but would simply get the adaptor above if there was no direct port. All my work stuff is on the office servers so there's no storage issues there. As far as optical drives are concerned, I really don't care - barely use the Superdrive in the MBP but I'm sure work would buy an external 'just in case'.

Probably my biggest stumbling block to REALLY wanting one of these machines is Lion. Can't stand it and have just spent a couple of days removing it from my current machine. I know we'll have to use it one day, but I'd be happy to stick with Snow Leopard for a couple of years.
  • Reply 110 of 321
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwdsail View Post

Apple's laptops are too anorexic as it is.. Jesus.. Feed these things some BBQ Pork for God's sake!!!

I hope they only expand the Air line (add 15 and 17 inch versions) and don't ruin the MacBook Pro line w/ this idiotic BS..

Do Not Want!!!

Gee, well-reasoned, informative, specific, convincing...thanks!

...if only we'd stopped with the wheel...
  • Reply 111 of 321
    How long does an SSD last versus an HDD? Do I recall correctly that it has a limited number of read/write passes before it begins to degrade?

Yes, I can see that this might be irrelevant in a world where a buyer might want to replace the device quickly (more quickly than the SSD degrades) in order to have the "latest and greatest". But that *seems* to be a sort of "built-in obsolescence".

Don't get me wrong: I'm an Apple favorer. We have two 13" MBPs (SSDs) and two iPAD2s, along with an iPhone4S. Good enough?

But I recall that (when I had it) my old IBM A31 Thinkpad, with its hard drive, remained a workhorse after many years of use. And I recall with fear that the April 2008 green issue of PC Magazine said, "A pile of our obsolete computers could make a 22-story mountain that covers the entire 472 square miles of the city of Los Angeles." (I'm sure it's increased since 2008.)

Is this built-in obsolescence a practice we should continue to pursue?
  • Reply 112 of 321
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    If accurate, this is very bad news as far as I'm concerned.

If they make the MBP exactly like a MBA, then there's no Pro line. And that, IMO, would be a big mistake.

What about people who need a lot of storage? I just took out my 250 GB HDD and replaced it with a 750 GB drive (which also happens to have a small Flash drive as part of it) for only $200 (and it was that expensive only because of the current drive shortage). What do I do when Apple's next machine only uses a Flash drive and it only has 128GB? And of course it will be one that you can't replace yourself. Apple currently charges $1100 to $1200 extra for 512GB.

Quote:

Although existing MacBook Pros continue to outsell MacBook Airs

Think there's a reason for that? Maybe people prefer the price/performance ratio of the current MacBook Pros. And I know that as far as this Board is concerned, I'm in the minority on this, but I still make plenty of use of my optical drive. I'm all in favor of lighter and more beautiful computers, but I really despise giving up functionality and serviceability in the name of Zen.

If Apple is going to drive its product line only to people who mostly consume content as opposed to those doing their own creation (and by creation, I don't mean playing around with a silly photo app or posting to Facebook - I mean people who have to do real work), then they might as well kill the entire computer line and only produce iPads.

Each time I update, I should be getting more from Apple. Not less.
  • Reply 113 of 321
    I personally enjoyed the picture of the 2012 MacBooks since it was the same picture resized four different times.

Its kinda humourous.
  • Reply 114 of 321
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

I have been waiting a looooooong time. I really hope this happens soon.

I'm with you, kid.

Whatever the design and feature set, though, I can't wait any longer. Apple's best 2012 15" notebook is slated to be my next machine. But that doesn't mean I don't have my druthers.....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Maybe wireless external storage (more solid state of course) from Apple are coming with new high speed protocol.

I'm with you too!

Quote:

and in ALL cases if there's a HDD inside it needs to be Callista Flockhart sized.

+3 for the CF ref!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwdsail View Post

Apple's laptops are too anorexic as it is.. Jesus.. Feed these things some BBQ Pork for God's sake!!!

I hope they only expand the Air line (add 15 and 17 inch versions) and don't ruin the MacBook Pro line w/ this idiotic BS..

Do Not Want!!!

I'm not with you. And neither, as far as I can see, is Apple.

Quote:

Since we're taking requests I'd also like to see.

Bluetooth 4.0 - I'm eagerly awaiting the time I can replace my BT Apple KB with 4.0 models that last all FREAKING year off of two AA batteries.

4G Cellular technology -in every model.

Check. And Check. I'm surprised long-range wireless data isn't already available at least as an option. But ditching the ODD does leave room for lots of re-engineering.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

have room for BOTH an SSD and a conventional HDD. I would love to have my OS on an SSD with a 1 TB rotating hdd for data. By dropping the DVD there will be more then enough room for both.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by williamh View Post

I seriously think a "Pro" model will still use conventional HD in addition to an SSD boot drive.

I'm with both of you as well - but, sadly, hybrid-drive-ization doesn't feel like an "Apple-like" solution. And we do seem to be moving toward an age where the "Cloud," i- and otherwise, is going to be our big storage vault in the sky, so local storage will matter less and less over time.

Quote:

With Ivy Bridge I'll be surprised if we don't get USB 3.0.

I won't be. Apple seems to have decreed that TB is "the way." On the other hand, since they'll likely keep a USB port, it might as well be a 3.0, so mebbe....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lvidal View Post

...And sure, at least one model will have a retina display.

Please!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

One unified design...

11" & 13" branded MBA - focus on price and battery life

15" & 17" branded MBP - focus on power and performance

By Jove, you may have it about right. Makes sense to me at least. But then, like more and more of us these days, I live in my own "filter bubble."
  • Reply 115 of 321
    panupanu Posts: 135member
    Apple prefers to have as few SKUs as possible, with as few variations as necessary. That decreases cost and increases profit and customer satisfaction, because it's easier for geniuses to repair them. If a customer breaks a hard disk by dropping an iPod or a MacBook Pro on the ground, it affects Apple's image and the customer's satisfaction, because people think, "It's my fault it broke, but Apple made it too fragile."

Now look at flash memory. Apple moved the iPods to flash memory. iPhones and iPod Touches have flash memory. Now flash memory is making its way into laptops, beginning with the ones where it has the least price impact. The 15-inch MacBook Pros require more storage, so the 15-inch MacBook Pros couldn't change until the cost of the SSDs went down. Now the time is about right.

Apple is in a transition, and sooner or later, all Macs will have SSDs instead of hard drives.

My prediction: a replacement for the 15-inch MacBook Pro in MacBook Air format, with SSD, lots of RAM, Thunderbolt, but without USB 3 or optical drives, and a price that is equivalent to the current 15-inch MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 116 of 321
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

By the time external Thunderbolt drives come down to reasonable levels, USB 5.0 will be released and it will STILL cost less!

Forget about reasonable levels. How about T-bolt peripherals across the board being available? And not just one or two examples. Thunderbolt is the greatest thing going that barely anyone is utilizing, except to adapt it down to usable non-T-bolt peripherals.
  • Reply 117 of 321
    Originally Posted by popnfresh

"The new MacBook Pros may be sleek and light and fine for home users, but they'll be a disaster for professionals and the enterprise".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Already proven wrong.

Not quite. We have two MBPs, and recent MBA (along with an iPad2 and an old PPC G5 desktop, still being useful), and while the MBA has found it's way into our workflow (audio and image production) there's zero way we can use it to run the business on. We like it but absolutely no doubt that if someone told us that we had to get rid of one of those four computers and keep working it would be the MBA that hits the road. No question. Even before the G5.

It's quiet, sleek, and peppy. But we couldn't have ours front and center on the workflow front. People in production own them but I always see them taking secondary roles to MBPs, and not because the users are narrow minded.
  • Reply 118 of 321
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

What about people who need a lot of storage? I just took out my 250 GB HDD and replaced it with a 750 GB drive (which also happens to have a small Flash drive as part of it) for only $200 (and it was that expensive only because of the current drive shortage). What do I do when Apple's next machine only uses a Flash drive and it only has 128GB? And of course it will be one that you can't replace yourself.

Use iCloud.

Apple often eliminates legacy hardware and invents better ways of doing things. People went crazy when Apple eliminated the hardware keyboard, for example. Now they will scale back local storage and promote iCloud as the better alternative.

It suits the needs of the vast majority way better than a clunky spinning legacy behemoth.
  • Reply 119 of 321
    Quote:

Use iCloud.

Apple often eliminates legacy hardware and invents better ways of doing things. People went crazy when Apple eliminated the hardware keyboard, for example. Now they will scale back local storage and promote iCloud as the better alternative.

It suits the needs of the vast majority way better than a clunky spinning legacy behemoth.

That's just for static storage, not active files. There is no cloud storage suitable to deal with large, working files in progress except as backups. Files currently being worked on, such as folders of hundred meg TIFFs or audio work as it is being worked on. That's the answer for offices, but not production environments.
  • Reply 120 of 321
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It might work for you, but I'd suggest that you are in the minority. Even when you have a connection, the latenancy is incredible.

Quote:

Use iCloud.

Actually this is not the case at all. Local storage, spinning or solid state is the preferred method of storing critical info.