Apple lodges new suit against Samsung over autocorrect, screen unlock

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    Wow, I just made the reading of this thread tolerable. I just had to add a few more names to the "block the troll list"
  • Reply 42 of 57
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh sweet heavens, we're going to have to suffer through twenty pages of the anti-Apple guys here telling us what the definition of 'swipe' is, aren't we?

Lol - A moderator might but not us everyday Joes! Enjoy!
  • Reply 43 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Pick a different gesture then and problem solved

Except for the detail that Apple didn't patent their gesture and image but rather the whole system of having a predefined (by the software maker) gesture with an image and perhaps words to indicate what that gesture is.

If Samsung set it up so that each user created their own gesture to unlock the screen then they would be in the clear.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Farkus View Post

Do you consider suing for "autocorrect" a patent troll activity, that screams "We can't compete with Samsung, so we better try another chickensh*t lawsuit."

The patent will be invalidated. There's prior art everywhere. Apple probably doesn't even expect it to stand up in court. They're just doing what Microsoft perfected years ago. FUD.

Prior art?

I take it you are referring to T9?

Well Blackberry never used T9 they used Suretype and Motorola never used T9, they used iTap, they did this to avoid T9 license fees.

All that prior art shows is that there is more than one way to achieve a similar result.

Autocorrect is the method Apple came up with which Samsung is alleged to have copied.
  • Reply 45 of 57
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

Unless, of course, "start in the middle of a circle and move to the outside of said circle by swiping with your finger" can be called something different.

Isn't that a RiM Job? They can call it that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody

I said something similar a few months ago and several people challenged me on it so I went back and read the entire patent wording very carefully and (IMO of course), I don't see how Samsung (or any Android vendor) can get around it.

I wonder why they are going after Samsung though if it's Android behaviour. If Microsoft copies Apple in the OS, Apple surely wouldn't go after HP.

I guess it means Samsung couldn't put it back in if Google was sued and forced to remove it.

I don't usually like to see companies using lawsuits against their competition but Samsung deserve everything they get. They have shown a strong determination to copy everything Apple does and defiantly counter-sue when they are asked to stop.

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”

You should have known, Einstein, you worked in the patent office.
  • Reply 46 of 57
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Isn't that a RiM Job? They can call it that.

I wonder why they are going after Samsung though if it's Android behaviour. If Microsoft copies Apple in the OS, Apple surely wouldn't go after HP.

I guess it means Samsung couldn't put it back in if Google was sued and forced to remove it.

I don't usually like to see companies using lawsuits against their competition but Samsung deserve everything they get. They have shown a strong determination to copy everything Apple does and defiantly counter-sue when they are asked to stop.

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”

You should have known, Einstein, you worked in the patent office.

This case takes on the Galaxy Nexus with four of Apple's strongest patents, no pussyfooting around with design patents this time, it's pretty much taking aim straight at Android and Google.

HTC already has to remove the functionality of one of these patents in order to comply with a case they lost.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

This case takes on the Galaxy Nexus with four of Apple's strongest patents, no pussyfooting around with design patents this time, it's pretty much taking aim straight at Android and Google.

HTC already has to remove the functionality of one of these patents in order to comply with a case they lost.

The only one of these I'm somewhat up to date on is the "slide-to-unlock" one. IIRC it was deemed a likely invalid patent in the Dutch case where Apple used it, unless this is yet another patented variation on the same function. I really haven't looked at the other ones.
  • Reply 48 of 57
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I never understood that comment by Einstein. A bit humorous in a sarcastic way but quite illogical.

I prefer the this one:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
  • Reply 49 of 57
    It's up on Foss. The suit is against the Nexus. As before with HTC, Apple will get an injunction and then Samsung will have to modify the Nexus to remove features so they no longer infringe.

I have to wonder, though. Apple already won a case with HTC, so they could have immediately went after the Nexus (or any other phone, for that matter). But they waited.

Perhaps Apple wanted the Nexus to get out there in numbers, then force Samsung to remove features so that users will see a "before and after". As opposed to making Samsung change everything before the phone launches and people would never know what they're missing.

Imagine having a Nexus, then getting an update and when you read the update details you find out things are being removed from your phone instead of something new getting added.
  • Reply 50 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I never understood that comment by Einstein. A bit humorous in a sarcastic way but quite illogical.

I prefer the this one:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

Surely you understand his comment. It's hyperbole but he's making a point that nuclear war could eradicate civilization as we know it. Surely you can't fight a world war if you're only using sticks and stones. If that is all you had then at best you're being able to fight another clan.
  • Reply 51 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Imagine having a Nexus, then getting an update and when you read the update details you find out things are being removed from your phone instead of something new getting added.

That sort of a result sounds very pro-big business and very anti-consumer.

Would it really come down that way?
  • Reply 52 of 57
    Apple needs to stop fighting everyone in every country. No one cares if they look similar or do things in the same way. Obviously it's good and people want to copy it
  • Reply 53 of 57
    I think Apple now runs the risk of being investigated by the US government antitrust authorities or the European Commission antitrust authorities for patent abuse.

There is precedent for this: the famous US v. United Shoe Machinery Company case, where the US government argued that United Shoe used its own patents on shoemaking machines to deliberately crush competitors through litigation. Apple is now facing the same risk, because it looks like Apple is using its own patent portfolio to stamp out Google's Android platform in a predatory fashion, which could mean Apple might try to go after Microsoft Windows Phone 7.0/7.5 and eventually 8.0 platforms.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

Apple needs to stop fighting everyone in every country. No one cares if they look similar or do things in the same way. Obviously it's good and people want to copy it

Well, that's...... one way to look at it. Also, what's the police and their problem with "stealing"? They should leave people alone. Obviously, there's stuff people like and they want to take it.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

I think Apple now runs the risk of being investigated by the US government antitrust authorities or the European Commission antitrust authorities for patent abuse.

There is precedent for this: the famous US v. United Shoe Machinery Company case, where the US government argued that United Shoe used its own patents on shoemaking machines to deliberately crush competitors through litigation. Apple is now facing the same risk, because it looks like Apple is using its own patent portfolio to stamp out Google's Android platform in a predatory fashion, which could mean Apple might try to go after Microsoft Windows Phone 7.0/7.5 and eventually 8.0 platforms.

Hooray for gibberish!
  • Reply 56 of 57
    Quote:

That would be neglecting my duties. Gotta cycle through every once in a while to find the spam, insults, and trolling.

I don't envy your job . I'm not going to lie, a lot of the time I found the heated iOS/Android debates far more interesting more interesting than the news, but cycling through it all to weed out all of the crap must be a nightmare . Myself and others get the benefit of reading stuff that you've deemed worthy .
  • Reply 57 of 57
    [QUOTE=Prof. Peabody;2042817]I'm pretty sure Apple has a lock on that one, but I'm not a lawyer.

I'm not a lawyer as well but I have looked into patenting a product I have and a patent attorney has told me of the full intricacies involved in order for a patent to be granted i.e. it has to be quite specific.

I have read about this "slide to unlock" patent by Apple and compared it to my Samsung Galaxy S2 phone.

With regards to patents you have to be quite specific as to your idea or product or the patent office won't approve it. Apple's patent on this is a predefined slide from left to right and "boom" you've unlocked the phone.

I can unlock my android phone by sliding left to right, right to left, up to down, diagonally, do a hook motion, etc. And even the left to right swipe can be halfway or the full width of the screen.

Knowing how Apple has failed in some many of their other suites I don't see this succeeding at all.