Apple attacks Motorola's efforts to block iPhone 4S using standards patents, asks for huge damages

Comments

• Reply 121 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Really? Was it the fact that they've NEVER reported real numbers of sold devices that tipped you off?

Honestly, I can't understand why all these websites that put up charts with units sold, percentages of marketshare and all that other stuff decided to TAKE THAT CRAP and post the fake numbers.

They need to be posting charts with asterisks in every company's cells except Apple's.

What I find most hilarious is the fact that the iPhone actually stole share from Android's supposed numbers in the holiday quarter.

I had mentioned a month before the quarter was announced that I thought the next gen iPhone, version 6 (not the 4S), would sell over 45 million phones during the holiday quarter and would steal significant share from Android. One of the resident trolls denounced that statement by basically saying that all the fanbois were always talking about a miracle phone that would kill Android and that it would never happen.

Well, it already happened but never did I think that version 5 of the iPhone would be the one to do it.

All Android vendors should be really worried about what is coming out next from Apple. The numbers will be much easier to decipher.
  • Reply 122 of 212
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Yep.

Concerning the damages, I imagine they could only ask for damages caused as a result of the product removal from the stores:

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/03/...la-patent-win/

I don't think it lasted long but could still amount to hundreds of millions given how many products they sell. I wonder why the 4S wasn't taken down, it is a 3G device too. Maybe Apple modified the 4S so that it doesn't violate the patents in question.

Apple seems to be making around $1b/week profit so any long term banning that Motorola succeeds with and is ruled unfair could cost them a good amount of money, although Apple's profits are from worldwide sales so damages will be ruled against German sales.

Actually, Apple can sue for more than just lost phone sales. They can also sue for damage to their brand and any effect the market share swing causes on their relationship with developers and customers.

Granted, those things are hard to prove, but it's been done. And for a high profile case like this, Apple would be foolish to ignore them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

Bet you didn't know that the suicide rate at Foxcon is almost identical with the Chinese national average. I know that won't change your attitude but still...

Not true. The suicide rate among Foxconn employees is far LESS than the suicide rate in China as a whole.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Fueller is talking crap like he always does.

He fluffed about the Oracle case in how it will severely damage Googles case.

90+% of the suit brought by Oracle was dismissed.

Fueller is all talk, no walk.

To Apple: The FRAND issue is in Germany, not in California.

This is just Apple's attempt to get something in the door in its home town as all the others have failed.

So what are your credentials that makes you more of an expert than Mueller?

Furthermore, even if 90% of the Oracle suit was dismissed, how does that prove that Oracle can not hurt Google/Android? After all, as Microsoft says, it only takes one bullet.
  • Reply 123 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

What I find most hilarious is the fact that the iPhone actually stole share from Android's supposed numbers in the holiday quarter.

I had mentioned a month before the quarter was announced that I thought the next gen iPhone, version 6 (not the 4S), would sell over 45 million phones during the holiday quarter and would steal significant share from Android. One of the resident trolls denounced that statement by basically saying that all the fanbois were always talking about a miracle phone that would kill Android and that it would never happen.

Well, it already happened but never did I think that version 5 of the iPhone would be the one to do it.

All Android vendors should be really worried about what is coming out next from Apple. The numbers will be much easier to decipher.

It should be expected that Apple's once-a-year release cycle will cause a huge spike in iPhone adoption but what I find surprising is that...
    1. the iPhone 4 and 3GS are the 2nd and 3rd most popular selling handsets, respectively.

2. Apple sold more smartphones than any other smartphone vendor.

3. the iPhone 4S sold more units than Samsung who sells across the gamut.

4. iOS was sold on more devices than Android OS.

It shows it's not just one aspect of the handset market Apple is dominating, it's overall. At this point Android has a lowered installed base than iOS yet it should be higher simply because there are so many vendors using this "open source" OS so for it not to be far in front makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with Android.
  • Reply 124 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It shows it's not just one aspect of the handset market Apple is dominating, it's overall. At this point Android has a lowered installed base than iOS yet it should be higher simply because there are so many vendors using this "open source" OS so for it not to be far in front makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with Android.

I think they honestly believed they could win on specs alone but there is only so far you can go with that, especially when it's not working in the first place.
  • Reply 125 of 212
    Surprised this was missed:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02...ns_on_patents/

Essentially, the EU is really pissed at Motorola and Samsung. Can you say "the fine is 10% of the global turnover" without smiling?
  • Reply 126 of 212
    I wonder how much cheaper devices would be if everyone stopped resorting to breaking FRAND agreements or suing over silly IP patents that should never have been issued in the first place.
  • Reply 127 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

So a few people committed suicide? Big fucking deal.

When you grow up you will understand how crass that statement is.
  • Reply 128 of 212
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hungover View Post

As stated it's crass but at its core he has a point. We've discussed that the suicdes per capita are well below the national average for China... and the US. That isn't to say that it's lower than for a factory or that any are acceptable in the sense that you should allow or turn a blind eye to them, but you have to accept that suicides are likely to occur from time to time for various reasons.

The fact that it's a company with a million employees working to build products for the company with the largest mindshare in the world means that both the likelihood of suicide and the focus by the media on them will be high.
  • Reply 129 of 212
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:

As stated it's crass but at its core he has a point.

Oftentimes he has a point. He just doesn't understand how to craft it so that his reader is willing or able to see it. An interesting point of view gets wasted by having a poor understanding of how to relay it to the others here.
  • Reply 130 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Oftentimes he has a point. He just doesn't understand how to craft it so that his reader is willing or able to see it. An interesting point of view gets wasted by having a poor understanding of how to relay it to the others here.

I thought he relayed it perfectly.
  • Reply 131 of 212
    Quote:

As stated it's crass but at its core he has a point.

You mean points like this one.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...6&postcount=93

Quote:

Actually, it's a perfect reason to justify working conditions and here's a perfect statistic which proves that there aren't any problems there to be concerned about.

I quickly found this from Feb. 2011, where it says that there were 17 suicides at Foxconn.

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/0...linchina/all/1

That is extremely low and more people should be killing themselves to fall in line with worldwide averages.

In the US, according to what I see on wiki, the suicide rate is 11.8 per 100,000 people, so times that figure by ten and we get 118 for a million people.

So there you have it. Not enough people are killing themselves over there, and they can consider themselves to be extremely lucky as their suicide rate is extremely low.

So what exactly are people protesting? That their suicide rate is far lower than ours?

or

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...5&postcount=34

Quote:

Some Foxconn workers are apparently whiners. They had better get back to work so that they can get busy and assemble my iPad 3. The conditions there are just fine. So they work 60 hours? Big fucking deal, plenty of people work more than that. Some ignorant people like to mention their suicide rate, which happens to be less than the general population, that's awesome for them! Congratulations to them, they are very fortunate.

These people can also thank Foxconn that they're not working in some rice field someplace, I bet that's more of a back breaking job than working for Foxconn which also probably pays a bit more than standing in some rice field.

So in conclusion, quit your whining, get back to work and assemble my new iPad 3, comprende?

If you don't like it, then quit your job. Whining will get you nowhere.

Fanboisim is not an excuse for insensitivity or racism.
  • Reply 132 of 212
    Quote:

I thought he relayed it perfectly.

I suppose he did if the reader gets past the initial impression that someone's suicide isn't something anyone should be concerned with. I can see that's probably not what he intended (can't be certain of course), as could you. A casual visitor may not get him at all.

That's why I consider the way he composes many of his messages to be ineffective as a valid reflection of his intended point.
  • Reply 133 of 212
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tinman0 View Post

Surprised this was missed:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02...ns_on_patents/

Essentially, the EU is really pissed at Motorola and Samsung. Can you say "the fine is 10% of the global turnover" without smiling?

That will help with EU's debt problems.
  • Reply 134 of 212
    Quote:

Sorry, am I missing something... By failing to address his "style" of writing you are (doubtlessly unintentionally) condoning his puerile and childish rants.

He is entitled to his point of view but that does not grant him the right to be offensive.
  • Reply 135 of 212
    Quote:

I suppose he did if the reader gets past the initial impression that someone's suicide isn't something anyone should be concerned with. I can see that's probably not what he intended (can't be certain of course), as could you. A casual visitor may not get him at all.

That's why I consider the way he composes many of his messages to be ineffective as a valid reflection of his intended point.

As you mentioned, nobody can be 100% sure of what the hell he means... but, he gets people talking around his comment and, eventually, more understanding comes out of it.

As far as being ineffective... when the hell have you ever seen even a well composed argument not torn to shreds by at least one person who has a bur up their ass.
  • Reply 136 of 212
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

What is crass are the bozos who continuously keep making snide comments about suicides in factories that make Apple products in some misguided quest to score brownie points in the eyes of their peers.
  • Reply 137 of 212
    Quote:

Sorry, am I missing something... By failing to address his "style" of writing you are (doubtlessly unintentionally) condoning his puerile and childish rants.

He is entitled to his point of view but that does not grant him the right to be offensive.

Offensive, schmensive. It's all subjective.

... and who the fuck uses words like "puerile" on a public forum. Now that's offensive.
  • Reply 138 of 212
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That will help with EU's debt problems.

We don't have debt problems- we skilled in the art of racking up debts
  • Reply 139 of 212
    Quote:

As far as being ineffective... when the hell have you ever seen even a well composed argument not torn to shreds by at least one person who has a bur up their ass.

Point taken, and I completely understand that one.
  • Reply 140 of 212
    Quote:

He doesn't make apologies for it, nor should he need to. He's tolerated by the mods, and the regulars know where he's coming from. If he's truly concerned that his message gets thru then he may modify his "style". . . or perhaps not. He's the only one who really knows the message he's trying to convey and perhaps it's just the way he intended.

I don't take offense at it as long as he's not attacking other forum members on a personal basis.