Apple asks for US preliminary injunction of Samsung's Android 4.0 Galaxy Nexus

Comments

• Reply 221 of 448
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

I was responding to the apparent wonder as to why so many non Apple praisers are here.

I'm literally here because my RSS feed constantly had articles related to Android from this site.

Again, why are you complaining about non Apple topics when they are of no interest to you?
  • Reply 222 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsismx View Post

it literally translates in latin to ?to the person.? you didn't state his comment come across as assholish, you said he was an asshole. That is not permitted.

¯\\(ツ)/¯
  • Reply 223 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Again, why are you complaining about non Apple topics when they are of no interest to you?

What are you talking about?
  • Reply 224 of 448
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

What are you talking about?

You complained that there are topics on AI that have nothing to do with Apple as if that was something you found objectionable and I asked why you took exception to the non Apple threads since apparently, and by your own admission, the only thing that brings you here is Android related topics which universally are Apple vs. Android topics which clearly ARE about Apple.
  • Reply 225 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

But there's one crucial piece of evidence that you ignore:

There do not exist any paid shills working for Google.

Oh no?

• Reply 226 of 448
    Quote:

just a question to the Apple fans...

Can Apple even be wrong to you? Legally or ethically? It seems that from your perspectives they are always right, no matter what...

Nothing personal, but this is just such a ridiculous question. Are you even serious?

This is the kind of question a twelve year old asks (i.e. - grounded in a fantastical, unrealistic view of how the world works and what people are like).
  • Reply 227 of 448
    AbsoluteDesignz

Banned

It's about time!!!

Too bad it's only a matter of time till he's back. He enjoys antagonizing too much not to be back.
  • Reply 228 of 448
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

A new low for Apple

I know i am in the minority hear, but when is Apple going to get past Steve's ego? These legal moves are only productive at stifling competition. I love Apple products but really starting to hate the anti-competitive and monopolistic world view

So why are you siding with companies like Motorola who are going back to the bad old days of the nineties when with a cabal of other phone manufacturers used patents and unfair licensing fees to freeze other manufacturers, particularly the Japanese out of European markets.

Google is siding with Motorola on this, by failing to commit to NOT using FRAND based standards to keep competitors out of markets.
  • Reply 229 of 448
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Google is siding with Motorola on this, by failing to commit to NOT using FRAND based standards to keep competitors out of markets.

That's something I agree with. Google did indicate there's no clear intention to change business tactics at Moto. We can hope they do, but they haven't said they will.
  • Reply 230 of 448
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

AbsoluteDesignz

Banned

It's about time!!!

Too bad it's only a matter of time till he's back. He enjoys antagonizing too much not to be back.

He was out of order with piot but I wouldn't think that would be enough to get him banned. Seems more like a slap on the wrist warning to me but I don't know how many he's had. I wonder who reported him. He probably thinks it was me since I brought it up.
  • Reply 231 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by topgun966 View Post

Wow some of these replies are old.

Very intellectual and thought out I might add.

I will not dispute that Apple change the smartphone industry back in 2007. What they did was amazing. They created a wonderful product. So did Henry Ford back when he created the Model T.

My argument is what have they done lately? Seriously what great innovations have come out? Name me one thing in iOS 5 that was great (besides destroying my battery life in my iPod). I WANT them to innovate again. I WANT them to come up with something great. I am not looking to feed the trolls here but seriously, try to understand what I am saying. I am NOT ripping into Apple nor looking to start a pissing match. I am asking a legitimate question.

For those that asked what did the Nexus do? Well lets look at the Nexus line. (Starting with the Nexus S 4g, the previous model). They introduced NFC into the market. They introduced a true HD display. Android, introduced the notification system that has become the industry standard (now being used in iOS5). Android introduced front facing cameras (they did it before Apple did by 3 months). The list goes on and on.

Now in related to what this article is about the patents in question, they will be thrown out. All those patents where used in the industry before Apple filed for them. A first year law student can get that thrown out. All this is, is posturing for the public because Apple has been losing their cases left and right. The ones they are winning are very small and easy work a rounds.

The point is, what works best for everyone is TRUE competition. All this posturing and pissing matches is good for no one. If you are in the Apple camp, or Android camp, each one benefits from the other. I would say the same in a Android forum that is ripping into Apple. Respecting the competitor rather than trying to go "thermonuclear" on them is win win in the long run. If Apple was the only phone on the market, do you really think you would have something like Siri? Do you really think their would be a front facing camera? Or a drive to make things faster and smoother? What is the incentive into dumping millions into R&D when there is no one to beat? If that was the case, we would still be driving around Model T's to the store.

I just don't understand why people in both camps cannot see that. We are humans with the inherent design of freedom of choice. I do not look down for others to chose one product over another. What I will fight for is the ability to have a choice, and not be forced into one.

You are seriously deluded here. Almost everything you say here is factually incorrect or irrelevant. I simply don't understand how you can't see that.

A PenTile display is "The first true HD display"??? (Almost all Nexus's in existence don't even have that).

NFC in the phone is "innovating"??? (the chips have been available for years and NFC is a blended hardware/software thing anyway and not about including a chip in the phone).

iOS 5 has Siri (the first such service of it's kind), but "isn't innovative?"

Google introduces a self-evident manner of doing notifications, that is in fact a copy of the way Palm used to do notifications that is itself a copy of the way Apple used to do notifications and this is "original" and "innovative" and Apple's notifications are somehow a "copy"???? Why? Because whomever copies last is at fault somehow?
  • Reply 232 of 448
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

An algorithm can be expressed in infinite implemetations.

That is just a corollary of your original statement that I disagreed with. It can certainly be coded up many different ways, but that doesn't change the mathematical steps, which are the algorithm in my opinion.

Quote:

Your confusing an algorithm with a mathematical proof (although that's imprecise in itself and should be an logic proof).

I'm not sure what you mean by mathematical proof, or why you mentioned it and then corrected it to a logic proof. A solution method of the type I described is neither a proof of any kind, nor related to such. So no, I'm not confusing those.

Quote:

For a physicist this is sometimes more or less the same.

Are you a physicist or a mathematician? I don't get your point.

Quote:

It's also more relevant if you use functional programming languages, but not at all the same from an general programming point of few.

What is more relevant?

Quote:

In short, your view on an algorithm is way to strict. Normally it's just a 'vague' outline and a set of pointers how to think.

No more no less. So your actually talking about the implementation in pseudo code that I mentioned.

J.

Actually I would argue that your definition is way too loose, to the point of being incorrect. I think I understand what you mean by "implementation in pseudo code", and if so then I agree that that is what I am referring to, although it exists as a set of mathematical steps (operations) before you ever start writing code (except in the most trivial cases perhaps).

I'm curious where your definition of algorithm comes from. In the case of the example that I gave previously, what part of that process would you regard as the algorithm?

Having just done a brief literature search and sampled a few results, I can't find anyone using it as you describe. I also checked the ubiquitous Wikipedia and found that the article there uses pretty much exactly the same definition that I gave.
  • Reply 233 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You are seriously deluded here. Almost everything you say here is factually incorrect or irrelevant. I simply don't understand how you can't see that.

A PenTile display is "The first true HD display"??? (Almost all Nexus's in existence don't even have that).

Both HTC and LG have real 720p displays on the market - LG's is an IPS display like the one they make for Apple, with even higher PPI.
  • Reply 234 of 448
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

He was out of order with piot but I wouldn't think that would be enough to get him banned. Seems more like a slap on the wrist warning to me but I don't know how many he's had. I wonder who reported him. He probably thinks it was me since I brought it up.

That's the third time I've seen him go down. In about a month.

When will his name be changed to AbsolutelyBanned?

Anybody think he may go outside and play in the sunshine now?

No?

I didn't think so either...
  • Reply 235 of 448
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

AI's penalties are based on infractions, most are 1 point each, and he has a list of infractions. I think it's 5 points for a 3 day ban, two more for a week ban and ten infractions is a permanent ban. He got at least two in this thread for two instances of ad hominem attacks.
  • Reply 236 of 448
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    It's great to see Apple move the legal battle into second gear, since Google now finds itself in such a desperate situation that it's committing (more) desperate acts. Any thoughts Google had of being able to parry with Apple until Android overwhelms iOS are now looking completely delusional. When so much money--and so few players--are involved, any of them that thinks they can get away with infringing upon the intellectual property rights of the others is going to have their head handed to them--with an apple in their mouth.

btw: this is nowhere close to thermonuclear war yet.
  • Reply 237 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

AI's penalties are based on infractions, most are 1 point each, and he has a list of infractions. I think it's 5 points for a 3 day ban, two more for a week ban and ten infractions is a permanent ban. He got at least two in this thread for two instances of ad hominem attacks.

I do hope that the many others here were punished for their ad hominem attacks as well. With all due respect (and admitting to a bit of bias on my side), I have found attacks by pro-Android users to be punished much more severely than those in the pro-Apple camp. There are many people here (Apple ][) who add far less to conversations than people like SolipsismX yet when the latter makes one mistake I see him banned almost immediately.

Not saying that SolipsismX wasn't in the wrong (he definitely was with piot), just something I've noticed from reading this site over the past 2-3 years .
  • Reply 238 of 448
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

I do hope that the many others here were punished for their ad hominem attacks as well. With all due respect (and admitting to a bit of bias on my side), I have found attacks by pro-Android users to be punished much more severely than those in the pro-Apple camp. There are many people here (Apple ][) who add far less to conversations than people like SolipsismX yet when the latter makes one mistake I see him banned almost immediately.

Not saying that SolipsismX wasn't in the wrong (he definitely was with piot), just something I've noticed from reading this site over the past 2-3 years .

That might be just an impression. But if you do see an ad-hominem attack, then report it. However, I don't recall Solipsism ever calling people names and such.
  • Reply 239 of 448
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

It's not a matter of Steve's ego. It's a culture that Steve helped create. A culture where people are rewarded and recognized for innovating. Where innovation creates products that are of immense value to customers. Where innovation is worth protecting. Where people who steal your innovations should be stopped.

And there's nothing wrong with any of those values.

Seems mostly that we stand on a fine line between "rewarding innovation" and "strong arming your competition with a broken patent system and astronomical financial resources". You're just looking in the direction that favors Apple. And it's ALL about Steve's ego. He instilled it into his business and it lives on in full force, ready to go "thermonuclear." Apple needs to stop wasting resources fighting a stupid battle and get on with what they do best-- creating new and improved products and services.
  • Reply 240 of 448
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

Assuming you didn't mean SolipsismX. . .

I do agree there appears to be at least one and perhaps two regulars who seem to get a pass on attacks (paid shill anyone). It would be more pleasant and less disruptive without the personal insults or dishonest accusations about members character.

We aren't privy to the infractions handed out by the mods of course, so there's no real reason to claim they aren't doing their job.