Push NOT Pull

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I need to let off steam, so I don't really expect a reply - unless you have a grievance, too.

What I'm referring to is the constant bombardment from companies for me to discontinue receiving paper statements and use electronic online invoices. I would have no objections IF they would send the invoices and such directly to me electronically. But will they do that. NO. They want me to go online to their sites and hunt down the statements. They call this "Fewer Chores". Yes, fewer chores for them, but increased chores for me. I'd send this to all those companies if I thought they'd listen. I've tried with a couple, but got back boiler plate replies. NO joy.

I have more than twenty credit cards, utilities, banks, brokers, etc. that I would have to go through the paces to hunt down each statement instead of just opening an envelope.

Do they think I am so naive that I don't realize how long it would take me to go through the process to find twenty or more statements online. Does each think it is the only one that is trying to scam me into accepting their benevolent offer?

Again, if they would Push instead of my having to Pull, I wouldn't hesitate to convert to paperless.

Of course, they claim it isn't safe to Push, but why can't they make it so?

Thanks for hearing me out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I only do online bills with institutions that will send me an email notice ... which is probably 90% of my bills.

They don't email a complete invoice... but a secure link to the invoice on their website... a good enough compromise for me...

We've even gone so far as to change electric providers to one that has better electronic billing/payment services.

I was fairly amused a few years ago ... we had cable internet service... the local cable company was our ISP... but they would NOT do ANY sort of online billing ... it was all paper and USPS. Go figure!
  • Reply 2 of 9
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

They don't email a complete invoice... but a secure link to the invoice on their website... a good enough compromise for me...

That would work for me.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I need to let off steam, so I don't really expect a reply - unless you have a grievance, too.

What I'm referring to is the constant bombardment from companies for me to discontinue receiving paper statements and use electronic online invoices. I would have no objections IF they would send the invoices and such directly to me electronically. But will they do that. NO. They want me to go online to their sites and hunt down the statements. They call this "Fewer Chores". Yes, fewer chores for them, but increased chores for me. I'd send this to all those companies if I thought they'd listen. I've tried with a couple, but got back boiler plate replies. NO joy.

I have more than twenty credit cards, utilities, banks, brokers, etc. that I would have to go through the paces to hunt down each statement instead of just opening an envelope.

Do they think I am so naive that I don't realize how long it would take me to go through the process to find twenty or more statements online. Does each think it is the only one that is trying to scam me into accepting their benevolent offer?

Again, if they would Push instead of my having to Pull, I wouldn't hesitate to convert to paperless.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Agree with you. Do they at least send you an email to say that the bill/statement is available?

Not sure about the US (is this about the US?), capitalism has edged too far to... wherever it's gone too far to.

In Australia aside from banks, generally they send the e-bill to you, or at least an email telling you something is ready for you to check out/pay etc.

Obviously e-bills save companies a ton of money, now they think they can take it a step further without even having to pay for emailing you the statement or *notice* that the statement is ready.

I say **** 'em. I would go mad worrying about my bills if I didn't even get email notification it's ready.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    My gas e-bill:

Hi ********

Congratulations on signing up for Alinta E-Bill.

Your application is nearly complete and you now need to register for "Your Account" on the Alinta website and you'll be ready to start receiving your gas bills online. (Please note that if you have previously registered for "Your Account", there is no need to do so again and you don't need to take any action until you receive an email from us letting you know that your bill is ready.)

To register for "Your Account", simply visit our website and fill in the required information. In order to register successfully, you will need to make sure the information you enter in the fields is identical to the details registered under your account, which are:

Name t********

Account Number t********

Once your details are registered, we will let you know when your bill is ready to view by sending an email to your nominated email address. You will also be able to visit the Alinta website any time to check the details of your account.

If you have any queries about Alinta E-Bill, please email ********@alinta.net.au

By viewing our Customer Charter and our Standard Terms and Conditions you'll find out everything you need to know about your account, plus your rights and obligations as a valued Alinta customer.

The Team at Alinta
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

That would work for me.

Unfortunately, in the near future, no one will put links in email because of phishing, due to the, shall we say, unwashed masses using clogged up garbage known as Windows.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Hah! Actually Telstra (major telco in Australia) sent me an email with a direct link:

https://www.my.telstra.com.au/myaccount/home

Hi *****,

We are really excited to tell you about the recent updates we've made to My Account. It's another step towards making your My Account experience better, so you can

Log In - we've made the journey easier for you to find and view your bill online

Update your contact details - giving you the control in managing your personal information

Track your order online - so you know when to expect your delivery

We'll continue to improve your My Account experience by introducing useful features in the months ahead.

So jump online and tell us what you think. If you've got any suggestions or ideas on what you'd like to see or what you think we could do better, we'd love to hear them. Simply visit us at Crowd Support? and have your say.

READY TO ACCESS MY ACCOUNT?

To go to My Account, visit my.telstra.com.au/myaccount using your username nv*******. If you can't remember your password, you can reset it here or just call us on 1800 266 000, we're here 24x7 to help.

See you online soon,

Executive Director, Telstra Digital

So much for my "fear of phishing" statement. (My name and username is actually displayed openly in the email)

What do you guys think? If I was a scumbag phisher I would just replicate the email and send them off to a dodgy site to grab their details...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

What do you guys think? If I was a scumbag phisher I would just replicate the email and send them off to a dodgy site to grab their details...

I think that if people are to stupid to look at the address in the address-bar after clicking a link that then asks for sensitive information... well... perhaps they should stay away from the internet. (But then, if they're that stupid, they're probably used to having "bad" stuff "happen" to them... without any idea that they bring it on themselves.)
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Agreed.

Quote:

As if 'Pull' is safer! Just read the paper about the hacked databases! Actually 'Pull' effectively makes the system less safe as it requires thousands of log-ins where stuff can go wrong...
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Our mass is unaffected as the colliding sub-atomic particles are quite uniform at least in this part of creation. Let us give our mass a trajectory and velocity and call it an asteroid for example. As our asteroid moves through space it eventually approaches another mass, say The Earth.