Windows 8 Alpha beats OSX Lion

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In speed tests Windows 8 Alpha beats OSX Lion.

So Apple seems to have a problem on its hands.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Why? Filler.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    You wouldn't understand.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Showtime View Post

[/URL].So Apple seems to have a problem on its hands.

Coming soon. Windows Vista. Apple seems to have a problem on its hands

Coming soon. Windows 7. Apple seems to have a problem on its hands

Coming soon. Netbooks. Apple seems to have a problem on its hands

Coming soon. Recession. Apple seems to have a problem on its hands

Coming soon. Ultralights. Apple seems to have a problem on its hands

Coming soon. Windows 8. Apple seems to have a problem on its hands

The Mac. Growing global market share for seven consecutive years.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Nor does your buddy, apparently.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Showtime View Post

You wouldn't understand.

Either explain, troll, or don't post at all.

I don't add that modifier based on THIS post, I add it based on your PAST posts.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Either explain, troll, or don't post at all.

Go command your dog, Apple fan boi.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Okay, now I want to have an actual discussion about this. Seems interesting.

So Windows 8 finally uses EFI. Heck yes. That would explain the boot times, I'd imagine, and kudos to them for that. They still have the Registry, so more work needs done.

Shutdown time remains hilarious. Snow Leopard wowed me and Lion just keeps on doing it.

As for iTunes, everyone knows the Windows iTunes is horrible. We really need a 64-bit Mac iTunes XI and an optimized Windows iTunes XI before we can do real tests there. It's probable that Windows will rip discs faster; they should have just done an OS rip instead of in iTunes.

The benches make sense, too. It's good to see Windows beating out OS X in some areas (though you have to admit the last test is completely biased), because 8 is a pared-down version of earlier releases (think Microsoft's Snow Leopard) and Lion was a feature-adder. This just gives Apple more incentive to further shorten boot times and kick up performance in 10.8.

Safari 5.1.4 is QUITE fast, but if IE10 beats it out on the HTML5 end (oh, wait, the psychedelic stuff is JavaScript? ), I want to see improvements in Safari.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Tell me, with whom would you like to have an actual discussion?

Before you ban them when it gets a bit awkward for you, that is.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by occasion View Post

Tell me, with whom would you like to have an actual discussion?

Before you ban them when it gets a bit awkward for you, that is.

I banned no one. Thanks for creating a new account, though.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    I really don't think people switch to OSX because it was/is "technically" faster but because the UI/UX is easier overall (which would then make it seem faster I guess)
  • Reply 11 of 16
    YW. Wouldn't want you to just sit there moderating thin air. You gotta earn that grandiose jobtitle of course. And since you selected me to keep you busy, it will be my continued pleasure, as it has been in the past, to oblige.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:

So Windows 8 finally uses EFI. Heck yes. That would explain the boot times, I'd imagine, and kudos to them for that. They still have the Registry, so more work needs done.

Shutdown time remains hilarious. Snow Leopard wowed me and Lion just keeps on doing it.

As for iTunes, everyone knows the Windows iTunes is horrible. We really need a 64-bit Mac iTunes XI and an optimized Windows iTunes XI before we can do real tests there. It's probable that Windows will rip discs faster; they should have just done an OS rip instead of in iTunes.

The benches make sense, too. It's good to see Windows beating out OS X in some areas (though you have to admit the last test is completely biased), because 8 is a pared-down version of earlier releases (think Microsoft's Snow Leopard) and Lion was a feature-adder. This just gives Apple more incentive to further shorten boot times and kick up performance in 10.8.

Safari 5.1.4 is QUITE fast, but if IE10 beats it out on the HTML5 end (oh, wait, the psychedelic stuff is JavaScript? ), I want to see improvements in Safari.

Do you have a source for these test? Its interesting, but I definitely need more info. Were the tests done on identical (hardware-wise) systems? What is the methodology for each test; how is startup time defined? to the login screen? to the desktop? until the drive stops paging?

In general, I find it hard to compare windows to OS X fairly since their release dates tend to leapfrog each other. So you always end up comparing a brand new OS to one that's been released and in use for a while.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Do you have a source for these test?

I just copied the chart from Showtime's link. I don't know anything about that site or its validity/trustability when it comes to testing or benchmarking.

The tests themselves are horribly skewed, however.

Quote:

Were the tests done on identical (hardware-wise) systems?

The version of Windows 8 used was installed via Boot Camp on the MacBook on which the OS X tests were also done, so the hardware's identical.

Quote:

What is the methodology for each test; how is startup time defined? to the login screen? to the desktop? until the drive stops paging?

The site says "until the desktop displayed and was functional". Whatever that means.

I guess it's easy to figure out what that means. Windows for me takes about a half minute or so to actually work once you get to the Desktop, while OS X takes about five. But my Windows is 7, so that has apparently changed.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Windows for me takes about a half minute or so to actually work once you get to the Desktop, while OS X takes about five. But my Windows is 7, so that has apparently changed.

Your Lion takes 5 minutes to start up? Amazing! On what kind of machine? My fully loaded Snow Leopard on a 2 year old 4GB 27,5" iMac does that in 2,5 minutes. Two year old 4GB 17" MacBook Pro about the same.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Summerbabe View Post

Your Lion takes 5 minutes to start up? Amazing!

Ah! I didn't specify seconds earlier in the sentence!

Five seconds to usability once it hits the Desktop in Lion. Sorry about that.

I'd imagine you could only get five minutes on a Core Solo Mac Mini with 512 MB of RAM.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:

Ah! I didn't specify seconds earlier in the sentence!

Five seconds to usability once it hits the Desktop in Lion. Sorry about that.

I'd imagine you could only get five minutes on a Core Solo Mac Mini with 512 MB of RAM.

"X seconds to usability once it hits the Desktop"... what kind of a benchmark is that? That doesn't mean much to average users, imo. Time from cold startup to full desktop/finder usability does.