British network allegedly warns Apple again not to use 'iTV' name [u]

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

As rumors of an Apple television set continue to swirl, Britain's ITV network has reportedly warned Apple that its name is off-limits [updated].

Apple anticipated television has been called the "iTV" by some pundits, following the same branding as Apple's other popular products like the iPhone and iPad. The rumors and speculation have apparently been enough, according to The Telegraph, to prompt the network ITV to write a letter to Apple and warn it not to use the same name for any products.

Update: In a statement to The Verge, ITV said that there has been "no communication" between it and Apple. The original report, which cited anonymous sources, was dismissed as "entirely speculative."

ITV, short for Independent Television, has been on the air since 1955, and is the broadcaster of the popular show "Downton Abbey." The network has also spawned three sister channels using its same name: ITV2, ITV3 and ITV4.

The latest reported move by the network to warn Apple isn't the first time that ITV has reached out to the iPhone maker. The "iTV" name was previously rumored to be used for Apple's revamped iOS powered Apple TV in 2010, which was said to have made network executives "furious."

Apple eventually launched its new Apple TV with the same name the product line had always carried, despite a drastic redesign. But with a full-fledged television set rumored to be in the works at Apple, the "iTV" name has once again been associated with the supposed project.

The ITV network reportedly received assurance in 2010 that Apple would not use the "iTV" name, but the network is said to be concerned since the late Steve Jobs is no longer in charge at the company. Author Katherine Rushton said ITV executives are said to be concerned that Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook could take a different stance from his predecessor.

Whatever the name, an Apple television has been rumored to debut as soon as this year, giving Apple entrance into a massive market estimated to hit sales of 230 million units this year worldwide. Industry watchers expect that an Apple television will feature Siri voice integration, allowing users to simply control their television without the need for a confusing remote.

Reports of an Apple television began to pick up steam late last year when the authorized biography of late Apple CEO Steve Jobs was released. Jobs told his biographer, Walter Isaacson, that he had "cracked" the secret to building an integrated, easy-to-use television set. He said the device "will have the simplest user interface you could imagine."

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 127
    The simple and obvious solution is for ITV to change it's name.
  • Reply 2 of 127
    Yea. iTV has a point on this one. They own that name fair and square and have spent decades marketing and building up that brand. Apple will have to come up with a lucrative arrangement for them, or just use another name.
  • Reply 3 of 127
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Doubt Apple would want to change from Apple TV now anyway.

Don't care one jot for ITV in the UK anyway, would be more than happy for Apple to buy them out and shut them down, ITV produces the worst news and retarded TV shows out there all funded by corrupt quizzes and shows.
  • Reply 4 of 127
    Easy solution to this hurdle - buy them and use the name, and pick up a small selection of the content!
  • Reply 5 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Of course, I agree fully. ITV clearly need to just accept the new reality of the situation and begin the process of finding a new name.

By the way I've just registered iConrail. I'd appreciate it if you would stop using your account and register a new name now, thanks.
  • Reply 6 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystigo View Post

Yea. iTV has a point on this one. They own that name fair and square and have spent decades marketing and building up that brand. Apple will have to come up with a lucrative arrangement for them, or just use another name.

In the first week of an Apple iTV, more people in the world would know the name than all those "decades" have produced. If ITV were smart, they would license the name to Apple and reap the huge rewards of search engines sending people to their web site. As for sales, who is going to confuse a consumer product with a television network?
  • Reply 7 of 127
    Just put everything under the iTuner name
  • Reply 8 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iConrail View Post

Of course, I agree fully. ITV clearly need to just accept the new reality of the situation and begin the process of finding a new name.

By the way I've just registered iConrail. I'd appreciate it if you would stop using your account and register a new name now, thanks.

:-) I'm only kidding, but you see my point I hope? I wont use this account again Conrail is yours
  • Reply 9 of 127
    Quote:

How can some little pipsqueak local company prevent the worldwide use of a known brand name by a multinational company like Apple?

How can that be fair?
  • Reply 10 of 127
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I bet ITV execs wouldn't be so "furious" if Apple offered them $100 million to share the trademark.
  • Reply 11 of 127
    This is an example of Apple's reputation preceding itself, and not in a good way. Their history of respecting copyright and trademarks is spotty. Companies, particularly local ones, anticipate Apple will ignore their rights and use money to buy their way out after the fact.
  • Reply 12 of 127
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gkroeger View Post

In the first week of an Apple iTV, more people in the world would know the name than all those "decades" have produced. If ITV were smart, they would license the name to Apple and reap the huge rewards of search engines sending people to their web site. As for sales, who is going to confuse a consumer product with a television network?

I guess that the trademark area for both is the same. Also I believe that ITV also operates software called 'ITV Player" for viewing ITV content and recent shows which would most definitely be in the same area as the rumoured Apple TV.

I don't know it ITV have a EU trademark or not, but it would be strange if it wasn't. So without licensing, Apple is probably best off using a different name.
  • Reply 13 of 127
    I think Apple should keep pressing the iTV moniker, under the table of course, just to give the iTV people ulsers. Then at the last minute use aTV.
  • Reply 15 of 127
    I personally prefer Apple TV as oppose to iTV. I think the former is a much nicer name!
  • Reply 16 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

How can some little pipsqueak local company prevent the worldwide use of a known brand name by a multinational company like Apple?

How can that be fair?

It would probably only prevent Apple from using the name in the UK. Unless iTV spent the money to register the trademark worldwide, if they did that, then I'd say it's more than a tiny local company.
  • Reply 17 of 127
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:

Yeah, sure! Why not? Oh wait... ITV has been around for over 55 years and is the largest commercial broadcaster in the UK.

Now, the chances are that (considering what the link the poster above said) Apple has already told ITV that they will not use the iTV name, as it would breach an EU trademark.
  • Reply 18 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

This is an example of Apple's reputation preceding itself, and not in a good way. Their history of respecting copyright and trademarks is spotty. Companies, particularly local ones, anticipate Apple will ignore their rights and use money to buy their way out after the fact.

Chinese Authorities Seize iPads Over Trademark Dispute

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400165,00.asp
  • Reply 19 of 127
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

It would probably only prevent Apple from using the name in the UK. Unless iTV spent the money to register the trademark worldwide, if they did that, then I'd say it's more than a tiny local company.

Like most TV networks, ITV sell their content worldwide. If you're familiar with Downton Abbey or Who Wants to be a Millionaire, then you're familiar with ITV.
  • Reply 20 of 127
    ITV is not some local small time company that just set up an office and registered the name iTV in the hope of one day getting money from Apple for the "i" name. ITV is a public service broadcasting station in Britain that has existed since 1955. I'm sure they could come to some agreement but it's unfair to think ITV is trying in some way to shake down Apple. It's unfortunate naming based on rumours but for those who remember the iTab/iSlate/iPad rumours I'm sure Apple can easily name their device iScreen/iMedia/iBox/iAnyNameAtAll and 6 months after the release we'll all think iTV would have been a dumb name anyway