Apple's latest patent suit against Samsung seen as its strongest case yet

Comments

• Reply 61 of 144
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Did I miss any of the typical lame talking points?

Inferior specs?
  • Reply 62 of 144
    you forgot the Star Trek Next Generation thing !

• Reply 63 of 144
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, and in every single thread about this stuff, these two images remain relevant.

You see how different and interesting phones and tablets were before the iPhone and iPad, respectively?

THEY WERE ALL INNOVATING BACK THEN. ALL OF THEM. As much as all of those devices sucked, that was the golden age of innovation.

Now ONE company is. ONE. And people still whine that Apple should "focus on innovating instead of suing".

Samsung SPH-i300 and i330

Compaq Tablet pc T1000

Hand picked devices aggregated to show only the devices that are completely different yet completely disregarding the devices that are.

That is a moral hazard issue.
  • Reply 64 of 144
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

image: http://3.static.slando.com/photos/li...414097_1_F.jpg

Samsung had a multi-touch capacitance touchscreen phone in 2002? It's a wonder why they had to copy Apple then¡
  • Reply 65 of 144
    Quote:

Samsung had a multi-touch capacitance touchscreen phone in 2002? It's a wonder why they had to copy Apple then¡

The aggregated pictures are comparing the designs.

What you are claiming isnt design related but rather function related.

Stick with the issue at hand and stop drifting about.
  • Reply 66 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

What we don't like is that you blatantly copy us. It gives us the moral high ground and Apple the right to sue.

So it's blatant copying when Google does it, but when Apple does it, it's OK?

Some moral high ground.
  • Reply 67 of 144
    Quote:

Compaq Tablet pc T1000

Hand picked devices aggregated to show only the devices that are completely different yet completely disregarding the devices that are.

That is a moral hazard issue.

Those devices are nothing like the iPhone or iPad. I guarantee both used pressure-based touchscreens that likely required a stylus; the latter also runs a full desktop OS.

Since you like posting pictures, do you have one of your point? I'm having trouble finding it.
  • Reply 68 of 144
    Quote:

What you are claiming isnt design related but rather function related.

Stick with the issue at hand and stop drifting about.

The devices you listed look NOTHING like any iOS device ever released.
  • Reply 69 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

So it's blatant copying when Google does it, but when Apple does it, it's OK?

Some moral high ground.

Alas, we've found the holy grail of Android apologists: the notification bar. If you're not familiar with it, it is worshipped in some circles because it is believed to have the magical effect of countering all the many, many, many allegations of what Google copied from Apple.

Unfortunately, if you turn it over, it has a stamp that says "Made in webOS".
  • Reply 70 of 144
    Quote:

No they aren't or you won't have posted an image of the Samsung SPH-i300 which has buttons all over the front.

You're also being your typical self in tacking something very specific, which is Apple's entrance into the market with a multitouch capacitance touchscreen as the primary I/O and with years of SW to make it work well and then comparing to any tochscreen device you can find that existed before the iPhone even though no one stated that Apple invented the touchscreen or has exclusive rights to any and all touchscreen patents.
  • Reply 71 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Those devices are nothing like the iPhone or iPad. I guarantee both used pressure-based touchscreens that likely required a stylus; the latter also runs a full desktop OS.

Since you like posting pictures, do you have one of your point? I'm having trouble finding it.

I've had the first Sprint's Sph-i300 in my neighborhood when it launched back in 2002 and no it did not require stylus. As you can see in the picture, it does register finger input.

Again, what the aggregated pictures are showing is the DESIGN not the functionality of the devices.

I know the truth is tough to swallow but PLEASE OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE!
  • Reply 72 of 144
    Quote:

The devices you listed look NOTHING like any iOS device ever released.

Uh, yes they do. They look remarkably similar. They're both tablets of similar dimensions, and look remarkably close to both the iPad and almost all other tablets.

It just goes to further invalidate the argument that "Apple did it first." Sheesh.
  • Reply 73 of 144
    Quote:

Alas, we've found the holy grail of Android apologists: the notification bar. If you're not familiar with it, it is worshipped in some circles because it is believed to have the magical effect of countering all the many, many, many allegations of what Google copied from Apple.

Unfortunately, if you turn it over, it has a stamp that says "Made in webOS".

You're exactly right. So now it's OK for Apple to simply use it?
  • Reply 74 of 144
    Quote:

I've had the first Sprint's Sph-i300 in my neighborhood when it launched back in 2002 and no it did not require stylus. As you can see in the picture, it does register finger input.

Again, what the aggregated pictures are showing is the DESIGN not the functionality of the devices.

I know the truth is tough to swallow but PLEASE OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE!

It registered inputs the same way all resistive touchscreen register inputs. You really are the worse debater ever.
  • Reply 75 of 144
    Quote:

No they aren't or you won't have posted an image of the Samsung SPH-i300 which has buttons all over the front.

You're also being your typical self in tacking something very specific, which is Apple's entrance into the market with a multitouch capacitance touchscreen as the primary I/O and with years of SW to make it work well and then comparing to any tochscreen device you can find that existed before the iPhone even though no one stated that Apple invented the touchscreen or has exclusive rights to any and all touchscreen patents.

What you fail to see in the aggregated picture is that it is portraying the majority of the devices as having a keyboard as its predominant real estate on the devices and claiming that Apple's introduction of the iPhone, everyone started mimicking Apple'd design direction of having screen first, then buttons second.

HOWEVER, this device clearly shows that Apple wasn't the first to introduce a screen first and buttons second design language.

Samsung predated Apple in introducing a screen first/ button second design in 2002 for Sprint network ( of which I've personally owned).

Please stop trying to deny the obvious.
  • Reply 76 of 144
    Quote:

Uh, yes they do. They look remarkably similar. They're both tablets of similar dimensions, and look remarkably close to both the iPad and almost all other tablets.

It just goes to further invalidate the argument that "Apple did it first." Sheesh.

No, they don't. If Samsung had released their Galaxy line of tablets and it looked like that, I doubt Apple would have had as much of a problem with it.

But apparently now the only way to design a tablet is to make it black in the front with a maximum of one button on the front.
  • Reply 77 of 144
    Quote:

It registered inputs the same way all resistive touchscreen register inputs. You really are the worse debater ever.

Stop trying to carry this argument away from design and into the functionality. They are two completely different things. The pictures are comparing the designs of the devices, NOT functions or capabilities.

What people like you are doing is, after getting caught with evidence to the contrary, you start to latch onto other, more specific, arguments to refute my claims and statements.

Stop trying to beat around the bushes and just admit that you were wrong. The more you try to argue otherwise makes you more pathetic and less of a man. MAN UP!
  • Reply 78 of 144
    Quote:

No, they don't. If Samsung had released their Galaxy line of tablets and it looked like that, I doubt Apple would have had as much of a problem with it.

But apparently now the only way to design a tablet is to make it black in the front with a maximum of one button on the front.

Do you own a car with more or less wheels than four?

No?

Why is it OK for car manufacturers to make cars with the same amount of wheels, despite the vehicles themselves being wholly different?
  • Reply 79 of 144
    Quote:

You're exactly right. So now it's OK for Apple to simply use it?

There's a lot of history between Palm and Apple, and we're not privy to all the details. It is likely predated by something else, or it was originally created in the open-source community (I believe many jailbreakers claim they created it).

More likely, however, is that only the *concept* is the same; Apple's notification center is quite different than Android's or webOS', and many reviewers have noted this.
  • Reply 80 of 144
    Quote:

Stop trying to carry this argument away from design and into the functionality. They are two completely different things. The pictures are comparing the designs of the devices, NOT functions or capabilities.

What people like you are doing is, after getting caught with evidence to the contrary, now you start to latch onto other, more specific, arguments to refute my claims and statements.

Stop trying to beat around the bushes and just admit that you were wrong.

If you held them up next to each other, I doubt a lawyer would have trouble telling it apart from its iOS analog.