Apple earned $1 out of every $5 US consumers spent on electronics this holiday

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Because of apple's genius...I've taken quite a minimalist approach to electronics lately. I'm reluctant to "mess around" with other manufacturer's clunky software and plasticky assembly.

I'm quite happy with the few Apple products I own, iMac, iPad2, iP4, express router. Sold my MacBook to get ipad2.

I know it's personal...but I would rather go without a piece of electronic gear than buy something from an electronics manufacturer other than Apple.

I jumped at the first iPhone, buying two, one for my daughter and myself. $1,200, if memory serves...I deliberately did not buy a stand-alone GPS unit b/c the screen and interfaces were subpar compared to the iPhone. I waited and got TomTom with my ip4.

Sold my Casio exlim camera and reluctant to get a DSLR. iPhone is ok, for now, especially for outdoors. I gave away all my iPods.

Likewise.

I bought a Nikon D7000 the other day and the blasted thing didn't have geo-tagging built in. I mean, seriously, a $1300 camera and all those great reviews, and it doesn't have a feature that most point and shoots have had for years? And if you do want it (and don't want to have add locations manually in iPhoto) you have to buy a big clunky attachment with wires hanging off it. Brilliant.

God bless my iPhone 4S.

Considering Steve's comments about industries he would still like to change, the photography industry is utterly ripe for the picking right now.

Right after the TV one...
  • Reply 22 of 25
    If they showed profit instead of revenues, it would really be outrageous. I'm guessing Apple had well north of 50% of proits, given that so much of the industry is barely squeaking out a profit. 75% wouldn't surprise me.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

In what year will 75% of people purchasing laptop computers costing over $899 go with Apple? Will it be in two years? How about five years?

They already have 95% of the over $999 market, so it should be soon.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Considering Steve's comments about industries he would still like to change, the photography industry is utterly ripe for the picking right now.

Right after the TV one...

I agree that the photography industry is ripe for picking. My son is a Canon fanboy. I asked him how many models of SLR Canon make. He didn't know. The answer is nine, with names like 5D, 500D 550D. Nikon is similar. There was a time when I was hankering for an Olympus but I never got my head around E-P1, E-P3, E-PL3. I couldn't even figure out which one I wanted.

The Panasonic TV ranges are nightmare, with names like TX-P42GT30B so, once you've decided what size you want, you have to look at the 6th, 7th digits and beyond to know the model, yet they are all called 'Viera'.

Simplicity is all, so that the consumer can understand the offer and soon know which one to want, so the lust can kick in. I think readable names are hugely preferable to unreadable alpha-numeric strings.

It is amazing how Apple has shown the way by showing how much consumers respond to quality in design and execution, but still their competitors don't seem to get it and so many are soldiering on offering the same plasticky crap in weird product ranges. The Sony-Ericsson site lists 47 phones!
  • Reply 25 of 25
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DennyL View Post

I agree that the photography industry is ripe for picking. My son is a Canon fanboy. I asked him how many models of SLR Canon make. He didn't know. The answer is nine, with names like 5D, 500D 550D. Nikon is similar. There was a time when I was hankering for an Olympus but I never got my head around E-P1, E-P3, E-PL3. I couldn't even figure out which one I wanted.

The Panasonic TV ranges are nightmare, with names like TX-P42GT30B so, once you've decided what size you want, you have to look at the 6th, 7th digits and beyond to know the model, yet they are all called 'Viera'.

Simplicity is all, so that the consumer can understand the offer and soon know which one to want, so the lust can kick in. I think readable names are hugely preferable to unreadable alpha-numeric strings.

It is amazing how Apple has shown the way by showing how much consumers respond to quality in design and execution, but still their competitors don't seem to get it and so many are soldiering on offering the same plasticky crap in weird product ranges. The Sony-Ericsson site lists 47 phones!

This was an extremely educational post for me, and I totally agree.