Samsung Galaxy Tab outsold by iPad on home turf

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

The iPad's worldwide dominance over its Android counterparts continues, and demand is so strong that recent estimates see the Apple tablet outperforming rival Samsung's Galaxy Tab even in the electronics maker's home market of South Korea.

Since Apple debuted the iPad in Korea in November 2010, the company is estimated to have sold over one million units of the ubiquitous tablet, far more than global electronics giant Samsung's Galaxy Tab, reports The Korea Herald.

The release of the iPad 2 in Korea drove sales to around 700,000 in 2011 alone, and industry sources say that number could be much higher as many consumers bought the device through unmonitored channels before its official April 29 launch.

Local rival Samsung traditionally refrains from releasing sales numbers, but estimates place iPad market share at somewhere between 70 percent and 80 percent for the region.

Two of every three iPads sold in Korea are WiFi models, indicating that users are unwilling to pay monthly carrier fees for 3G data speeds. It is possible that users are waiting for a model that will take advantage of the country's advanced 4G network, as all three of the nation's wireless carriers offer either LTE or WiMAX.

Overall, the iPad saw a 111 percent increase in worldwide sales from December 2010 to December 2011, with revenue jumping 99 percent during the same period. The rough South Korean estimate is but a fraction of the total 11.2 million units sold globally last year.

This is not the first time that an Apple device has outsold a competing product from Samsung in Korea, as November's 200,000 iPhone 4S pre-orders overshadowed a three day Galaxy S II sales total of 120,000 units.

Apple's iPad is dominating the Galaxy Tab in Samsung's home market. | Source: Apple

Apple's dominance in its Korean rival's base of operations is a side note to the two companies' ongoing legal battle that now spans over 10 countries across four continents.

The latest lawsuit was filed last week by Apple in a California court, with the iPad maker seeking to block sales of Samsung's Galaxy Nexus handset over autocorrect and "swipe to unlock" patents.

If successful, the suit may deliver a substantial blow not only to the Galaxy maker, but to the Android platform as well.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    Is this really so surprising? I would think that the iPad outsells every tablet in every venue. Should we be surprised that it is a big seller in South Korea?
  • Reply 2 of 39
    and add to that, "...neener, neener, neener".
  • Reply 3 of 39
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    It comes to no surprise that even the South Koreans can spot junk when they see it.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Perhaps they mistakenly thought they were helping the economy by "buying local"?
  • Reply 5 of 39
    Oh please. It's a guess. No real factual numbers at all.

"Since Apple debuted the iPad in Korea in November 2010, the company is estimated to have sold over one million units of the ubiquitous tablet, far more than worldwide electronics giant Samsung's Galaxy Tab, reports The Korea Herald."
  • Reply 6 of 39
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    To rectify this problem, Samsung is going to start airing commercials portraying South Koreans as losers and douchebags. That will lead to less people buying iPads and Samsung will gain more Galaxy Tab customers, as that method has been so successful in their previous commercials.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It comes to no surprise that even the South Koreans can spot junk when they see it.

This with the apparent hegemony Samsung is reported to have over the South Korean government.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apple ][ View Post

to rectify this problem, samsung is going to start airing commercials portraying south koreans as losers and douchebags. That will lead to less people buying ipads and samsung will gain more galaxy tab customers, as that method has been so successful in their previous commercials.

+1000
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Maybe Koreans in general are as bad as Samsung's legal team in identifying their products from Apple's products.

It's a joke people, not a racist comment.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    Maybe they THOUGHT they were buying a Galaxy Tab. Honest mistake.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

"Since Apple debuted the iPad in Korea in November 2010, the company is estimated to have sold over one million units of the ubiquitous tablet, far more than worldwide electronics giant Samsung's Galaxy Tab, reports The Korea Herald."

Doesn't quite fit in with your future predictions does it?

I'm genuinely surprised to see you back, Slapppy. I thought your dad had shot your laptop after that Facebook incident.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Suddenly all Koreans across the world are praised by the fans of Apple.

Before, they were all lumped together with Samsung and the entire nation (every single one of them) a "copy cat".

How hypocritical of them. Tsk Tsk.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Suddenly all Koreans across the world are praised by the fans of Apple.

Before, they were all lumped together with Samsung and the entire nation (every single one of them) a "copy cat".

How hypocritical of them. Tsk Tsk.

Really? By whom?
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Is this really so surprising? I would think that the iPad outsells every tablet in every venue. Should we be surprised that it is a big seller in South Korea?

Actually, people are buying it because they think it's the Galaxy Tab... even in South Korea they can't tell the difference* because Samsung has done such a fine job at copying the iPad.

[ * until they get it home and find out the experience is much better ]
  • Reply 15 of 39
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Perhaps they should rename it the Samsung Galaxy Crap to commorate the milestone of being outsold by the Ipad. As a loyal Apple owner and its stock I personally am never ever ever ever going to buy a Samsung device again and I'm telling everyone else the same who ask. Yeah I bought one of their TV's 2 years ago. The Inteface is basically crap, designed by a moron. I mean it is really crappy pile of dung plus on top of that every time I move from one channel to another or switch to DVD, or another source I have to change the screen resolution which involves using the really sucky remote and pressing 20 odd keys every bloody time! talk about stoooopid~!

Hey Sammy crap as soon at the Apple HDTV comes out I'm buying one and relegating your crappy old one as a Computer monitor neener neener...
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Actually, people are buying it because they think it's the Galaxy Tab... even in South Korea they can't tell the difference.

Hyperbole at the Poe?
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Hyperbole at the Poe?

There... I clarified for you.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

There... I clarified for you.

He's just baiting. A Seuss character... Like the cat in the hat just messin for the sake of messin. He's smarter than slapppy though. Pretty sure that's not a worthwhile stopping point.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I am surprised because South Koreans are very proud of Korean-made goods, especially Samsung goods. They may feel that with Apple they are still buying Samsung components.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Much like your 2% marketshare 'guess'? The difference is that these numbers can be substantiated through polling, sales numbers, etc. Your number was a WAG at best, and a trolling comment at worst.

But if Apple tries really hard, they've still got 10 months in 2012 to hit your projection.