Samsung says an Apple television won't beat them in picture quality

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

If Apple does produce a television set, Samsung officials believe their expertise will allow them to handily beat their rival in terms of picture quality.

"We've not seen what they've done but what we can say is they don't have 10,000 people in R&D in the vision category," AV production manager Chris Moseley told Pocket-Lint. "They don't have the best scaling engine in the world and they don't have world renowned picture quality that has been awarded more than anyone else."

As a major part of Apple's supply chain for devices ranging from the iPhone to the iPad to Macs, Samsung has provided LCDs for years for Apple's electronics. While Samsung develops its own displays, Apple instead buys its screens from a number of providers, including LG and Sharp.

Samsung's comments come as Apple is rumored to be working on its own full-fledged television set. While Samsung officials may be focused on picture quality, late Apple co-founder Steve Jobs seemed more focused on interacting with the device when he told biographer Walter Isaacson that he felt he had "cracked" the secret to a simple and elegant television set.

"It will have the simplest user interface you could imagine," he said. "I finally cracked it."

But Moseley at Samsung said he believes that television sets are "ultimately about picture quality." He said additional features, like "how smart they are" can be "great," but they're also a "secondary consideration."

"The ultimate is about picture quality and there is no way that anyone, new or old, can come along this year or next and beat us on picture quality," he said. "So, from that perspective, it's not a great concern, but it remains to be seen what they're going to come out with, if anything."

Last month at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Nev., Samsung showed off its own voice controls for its latest television sets that will hit the market this year. In addition, Samsung's "smart" TVs will also be controllable through motion and will feature face recognition. The Korean electronics maker also introduced a "Smart Evolution" concept that will allow certain TV sets to be upgradeable, rather than requiring customers to buy an entirely new model.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 165
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    I am very happy with my current 65" HDTV and hopefully will be for many years to come. But I can say that picture quality was my #1 consideration when shopping. Next was the size of the screen and then price. Apple might have a great GUI for a TV, but considering they will probably price it at a premium, they better offer a damn good picture and sizes larger than 50".

With my PS3 with Netflix, DirecTV DVR , and an application called Playback that streams all the content from my Mac Pro to my TV, I don't really feel like Apple could offer me anything close to the content I already have now. Nor do I feel the current set-up is particularly cumbersome or difficult to navigate or use. But I will wait and see what Apple comes out with before I pass final judgement. Regardless of how spectacular it may be, one thing is for sure most people won't replace a perfectly working set for an Apple branded one just because it is made by Apple. But then again recently made TV's don't tend to last that long compared to the old CRT sets that seemed to last forever.
  • Reply 2 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But Moseley at Samsung said he believes that television sets are "ultimately about picture quality." He said additional features, like "how smart they are" can be "great," but they're also a "secondary consideration."

just like tablets will ultimately be about flash playback and phones will need the ability to run windows

APPLE IS DOOMED!
  • Reply 3 of 165
    No, not doomed, but I don't see them becoming the #1 TV manufacturer either.
  • Reply 4 of 165
    Looks like the list is going to be expanded.

http://gizmodo.com/5416781/top-5-ass...quotes-in-2007
  • Reply 5 of 165
    That said, my 42" TV is about 5 years old. If they make a nice 55" that isn't break-the-bank expensive, I'll be in line with my wallet ready.
  • Reply 6 of 165
    10,000 people in vision R&D?

Well, maybe that is an advantage. But, Apple has done pretty well with smaller groups, and in some areas with just a single genius designer. We'll see.

If all a TV can do is display content (with some horrid internet functions grafted on), then picture quality is paramount.

If Apple does define an interface that adds real value, then a display that is "good enough" may not be such a handicap.
  • Reply 7 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

No, not doomed, but I don't see them becoming the #1 TV manufacturer either.

"not this year or next", so 2014 Apple will be #1 TV manufacturer, you heard it straight from Samsung!
  • Reply 8 of 165
    Samsung sounds scared. Why release a comment about a product they have not seen.
  • Reply 9 of 165
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Hear that, Apple?

Don't even bother competing. Just stick to what you know best, so you don't make a mockery of yourselves. Remember the catastrophe that was getting into the music player market? That was nothing compared to the massive fuckup of entering the phone market- while everyone mocked your efforts. You should have listened. And the tablet market? What were you thinking, Apple? What a disaster.

This time, I hope Apple listens to such visionaries and industry leaders as Samsung, who obviously know better, in order to avoid these past mistakes. I mean, how can Apple beat 10,000 R&D people? How can they hope to match Samsung's pristine picture quality? I for one am glad Samsung is being so generous as to offer this insightful advice, so Apple can avoid the inevitable train-wreck as their previous misguided efforts to enter industries they have no business entering, and to spare consumers their horrendous failure.
  • Reply 10 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I am very happy with my current 65" HDTV and hopefully will be for many years to come. But I can say that picture quality was my #1 consideration when shopping. Next was the size of the screen and then price. Apple might have a great GUI for a TV, but considering they will probably price it at a premium, they better offer a damn good picture and sizes larger than 50".

The overall trend is towards less TV watching, especially with younger people. I think there are/will be less and less 'videophiles' that demand the best picture out there and more casual TV watchers who want an easy to use device with an affordable selection of on demand content- no more expensive cable plans- we don't watch TV enough to make that ever worth it. The content deals/integration will be key to this- not the biggest/best panel out there.

I'm still not convinced a stand alone TV is better than the current AppleTV option- hopefully they continue that with the same functionality the iTV will have.
  • Reply 11 of 165
    Nothing that guy said that can really be argued with.
  • Reply 12 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The ultimate is about picture quality and there is no way that anyone, new or old, can come along this year or next and beat us on picture quality," he said. "So, from that perspective, it's not a great concern, but it remains to be seen what they're going to come out with, if anything."

Yeah, so they can try to copy that, too, lol.
  • Reply 13 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Samsung sounds scared. Why release a comment about a product they have not seen.

Because he was interviewed and asked?
  • Reply 14 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

With my PS3 with Netflix, DirecTV DVR , and an application called Playback that streams all the content from my Mac Pro to my TV, I don't really feel like Apple could offer me anything close to the content I already have now. Nor do I feel the current set-up is particularly cumbersome or difficult to navigate or use. But I will wait and see what Apple comes out with before I pass final judgement. Regardless of how spectacular it may be, one thing is for sure most people won't replace a perfectly working set for an Apple branded one just because it is made by Apple. But then again recently made TV's don't tend to last that long compared to the old CRT sets that seemed to last forever.

You wouldn't fall into Apple's potential target market.

Do you realize how many people don't want to have to fiddle or learn how to work something? Why do you think iOS is so popular? It just works.
  • Reply 15 of 165
    ka47ka47 Posts: 25member
    Who cares what samsung thinks... Next thing you know, they will be stealing ideas from Apple again.
  • Reply 16 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KA47 View Post

Who cares what samsung thinks... Next thing you know, they will be stealing ideas from Apple again.

Clearly not Apple fanbois.
  • Reply 17 of 165
    As long as Samsung keeps putting out these comments its only adding more fuel to the fire so Apple can make an even better TV set...keep them coming Sammy
  • Reply 18 of 165
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    I have a Samsung TV.

Out of the blue it started switching to 'stretch' SD mode every time I change channels. I have to hit a seemingly unrelated button on the remote to bounce the set each time I change.

You think maybe there's more to a great TV experience than just pixel density?

Maybe an interface that doesn't suck? You think Apple can't walk in and improve on the garbage Samsung has been coasting on for years?
  • Reply 19 of 165
    What he says is pretty much true. Obviously a theoretical Apple TV would have an adequate-to-good display. But where they'll really compete is in interface and the "whole package".
  • Reply 20 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I have a Samsung TV.

Out of the blue it started switching to 'stretch' SD mode every time I change channels. I have to hit a seemingly unrelated button on the remote to bounce the set each time I change.

Apple customers are the people who used to always have "12:00" blinking on their VCR. And Apple makes Billions. Smart.