Apple seeks approval to sue bankrupt Kodak for patent infringement

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Apple has asked a judge for permission to sue Eastman Kodak for alleged patent infringement, with the approval necessary because Kodak has recently filed for bankruptcy.

In a filing with U.S. Bankruptcy Court in New York this week, Apple asked a bankruptcy judge for the ability to sue Kodak over patents it believes are infringed in to printers, digital cameras and digital picture frames According to Bloomberg, Apple intends to file two lawsuits against Kodak: one with the U.S. International Trade Commission, and another with the U.S. District Court in Manhattan.

As is standard for patent infringement suits, Apple hopes to have the ITC bar the importation of Kodak devices for the alleged infringement. Apple's attorneys noted in the filing they are showing "an abundance of caution" by asking the bankruptcy judge for approval, as bankruptcy law does not prevent infringement suits from being filed.

Lawsuits between the two companies first began in January of 2010, when Kodak sued Apple and accused its iPhone of infringing on a patent related to previewing images. Apple, however, believes it is the true owner of that patent, as it co-developed a digital camera in the early 1990s with Kodak.

Apple quickly countersued Kodak a few months later, accusing a range of products from the camera maker of violating two patents. Apple also earned an early victory against Kodak when the ITC ruled in its favor last June.

As its financial troubles came to a head, Kodak continued to file patent infringement suits against Apple, with the latest complaint issued last month. In that suit, Kodak accused both Apple and HTC of violating four new patents related to digital imaging.

But Kodak also formally filed for bankruptcy last month, seeking to restructure and protect its business. Citigroup has agreed to loan the ailing company $950 million to help shore up its capital ahead of the proceedings, and the 120-year-old company has said it "believes it has sufficient liquidity to operate its business during chapter 11."

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Cool. Apple is setting itself up to get Kodak's patents.
  • Reply 2 of 61
    Forget about the lawsuit, just buy the company and have at it. Less mess...
  • Reply 3 of 61
    Rochester could use a boost if Apple bought Kodak and converted it to an East Coast HQ for Apple...

Yeah I know... won't ever happen, but hey.....
  • Reply 4 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

Rochester could use a boost if Apple bought Kodak and converted it to an East Coast HQ for Apple...

I have memories of flying in from the UK and driving there from Boston when Kodak had hired me as a consultant for digital imaging back in the early days. The snow started just west of Boston and by the time I reached Rochester I was certain I'd over shot and was at the North Pole!

I think Apple folk would prefer somewhere with all year round accessibility being used to California. Now Sarasota, Florida would make an excellent East Coast location ... Plus we are never struck by hurricanes thanks to a mix of geography and Indian spells

p.s. The Digital Division at Kodak were very keen to expand but the main board were convinced digital could never come close to the resolution of film ... /sigh
  • Reply 5 of 61
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Is this some kind of corporate necrophagia or is Apple just trying to become the most unsympathetic company in the world? Their lawsuits have taken on dimensions beyond the ridiculous.
  • Reply 6 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G-News View Post

Is this some kind of corporate necrophagia or is Apple just trying to become the most unsympathetic company in the world? Their lawsuits have taken on dimensions beyond the ridiculous.

Defense .... Kodak attacked first in an attempt to save their own necks. A wounded animal can be very dangerous I hear.

p.s. I assume you a not referring to the Rock Band
  • Reply 7 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have memories of flying in from the UK and driving there from Boston when Kodak had hired me as a consultant for digital imaging back in the early days. The snow started just west of Boston and by the time I reached Rochester I was certain I'd over shot and was at the North Pole!

I think Apple folk would prefer somewhere with all year round accessibility being used to California. Now Sarasota, Florida would make an excellent East Coast location ... Plus we are never struck by hurricanes thanks to a mix of geography and Indian spells

p.s. The Digital Division at Kodak were very keen to expand but the main board were convinced digital could never come close to the resolution of film ... /sigh

Florida is a dump. You won't see Apple having any other East Coast HQ than NY.
  • Reply 8 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    For both nostalgic and nationalism reasons I hope Kodak can find a way to come back but the smart money is they are done. Maybe someone will buy them and then use their name the way Apple begged NeXT to take money to change their name to Apple which saved the company name (revisionist history).

Quote:

it's not personal. It's business.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    Quote:

Hmmm, have you looked at the lawsuits against Apple. Suits that have NO legal basis but still seem to get taken seriously.

Really. Do some research before you ramble. Try MacDailyNews for a general hint of what is going on

en
  • Reply 10 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Apple should take their talents to South Beach!
  • Reply 11 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I'm guessing you have never visited Sarasota. Your comment is a wee bit shall we say, poorly informed, to put it politely.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

For both nostalgic and nationalism reasons I hope Kodak can find a way to come back but the smart money is they are done. Maybe someone will buy them and then use their name the way Apple begged NeXT to take money to change their name to Apple which saved the company name (revisionist history).

I was thinking Apple might, then it occurred to me, the snag is the name isn't even worth much as it is so tied to an obsolete science. Film is on par with telex and morse code now, the stuff of museums.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    It's only 9 AM EST and there are already two patent/trademark lawsuit stories on AI.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

It's only 9 AM EST and there are already two patent/trademark lawsuit stories on AI.

Unlike Kodak, AI is diversifying to stay relevant in the future.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

How Rochester has managed to survive and even thrive (at least in comparison to its peer Upstate New York cities) in light of Kodak's demise would make a fascinating thesis topic for some sociology or econ grad student. The long-term impact of its cultural/educational contributions to the community (and those of George Eastman, who must be spinning in his grave over all of the truly moronic and brain-dead moves company management has made over the past 15 years) really illustrates the principle of teaching a man to fish vs. giving him a fish (to paraphrase).

Sorry to get O/T.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    Quote:

These types of lawsuits aren't just Apple. Every company is doing it. But we only hear about the ones that involve Apple cause the company gets hits for websites and thus money.

ANd Kodak started it, including with at least one patent they had sold Apple years ago
  • Reply 17 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Well they already posted every iPad 3 rumor in its own story 4 times. 5 and they get into the realm of redonkulous.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eldernorm View Post

Hmmm, have you looked at the lawsuits against Apple. Suits that have NO legal basis but still seem to get taken seriously.

Really. Do some research before you ramble. Try MacDailyNews for a general hint of what is going on

en

I am well aware of the various lawsuits going on against Apple, Mr. Condescending. However, it is nothing new that those who are doing well in a business are being sued by those who don't, which is the case in almost all of the currently active lawsuits against Apple. (Samsung as the classical competition elbowing suit, the iPad name claim as the archetypical "let's make some money with ridiculous claims" and various other cases that go in the same direction.) Apple however doesn't need to come up with ridiculous patent claims because they need the money. They could just as well buy the various companies they are suing against, even more so the disputed patent rights. By threshing out lawsuits left and right, they just look more vulnerable than they really are.

I am also well aware that the policy of suing and countersuing in spreading around the world like a wildfire. That doesn't mean it's a good thing or will lead us anywhere closer to more innovation.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Did anyone else read this in Michael Corleone's voice?
  • Reply 20 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Did anyone else read this in Michael Corleone's voice?

I didn't know it... but that line came up twice in the Godfather.