Fair Labor Association says Foxconn's Apple iPad plant is 'first class'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

With full, independent audits of Apple assembly partner Foxconn's assembly facilities now under way, the initial assessment from the Fair Labor Association is that conditions at the Chinese manufacturing plants are much better than garment factories in China.

FLA President Auret van Heerden said after his first visits to Foxconn's facilities this week that the operation is "first class," adding that conditions are "way, way above the average of the norm," according to Reuters. Van Heerden spent the last two days visiting the facilities as part of an independent audit requested by Apple.

In fact, van Heerden even suggested that "boredom and alienation" could have been the main contributors to stress that led to a string of suicides at the company's plants years ago. Because the audits have just gotten underway, van Heerden and the FLA have not issued any conclusions on the working conditions at Foxconn.

"I was very surprised when I walked onto the floor at Foxconn, how tranquil it is compared with a garment factory," the FLA president said. "So the problems are not the intensity and burnout and pressure-cooker environment you have in a garment factory. It's more a function of monotony, of boredom, of alienation perhaps."

Apple formally joined the FLA a month ago, making it the first technology company to do so. The association will independently assess facilities in Apple's supply chain and report detailed findings on its website.

Van Heerden said on Wednesday that Apple did not need to joint he FLA, and the company could have taken easier options if it wanted. He said the fact that Apple joined the association shows the company is "really serious about raising their game."

"The FLA system is very tough," he said. "It involves unannounced visits, complete access, public reporting."

The FLA audits come soon after a firestorm of media scrutiny surrounding Foxconn and Apple's continued partnership with the company. Recent reports from The New York Times and CNN highlighted potential labor issues in Apple's supply chain, with claims of forced overtime and low wages.

One woman interviewed by CNN said she had never even seen an iPad in person, even though she assembles them for a living. And the Times story included comments from anonymous current or former Apple executives, who suggested Apple has ignored labor issues because the current methods are favorable to the company.

The Times report incensed Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook, who issued an e-mail to employees declaring the anonymous criticisms "patently false and offensive." He promised that Apple will never "stand still or turn a blind eye to problems in our supply chain."

After Foxconn, the FLA plans to move on to two other Apple suppliers, Pegatron and Quanta, to audit their facilities. Pegatron said this week that the upcoming inspections have not been announced to them.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 116
    The FLA must be wrong. I've been told that Apple is doing nothing to improve conditions and lets companies off the hook for treating workers like slaves.

</s>
  • Reply 2 of 116
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Yeah, but but but that fat actor guy with a Broadway show to hawk says he did a much more thorough investigation by standing outside the gates and talking via a translator to random employees.
  • Reply 3 of 116
    The lefties will have none of this. It's still full steam ahead until Apple "brings those jobs home" to the unions for $41 an hour.
  • Reply 4 of 116
    It seems the FLA is looking at conditions as compared to clothing manufacturing. So they're blown away by how much better tech manufacturing is. FLA needs to be careful to not be too glowing and impressed using comparisons to other industries or else it won't look as legit. Though I'm sure people are already planning on dismissing the report no matter what.

What I got out of his statements is just how bad things must be at textile shops, scary.
  • Reply 5 of 116
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    But..but.. SLAVERY!!! HELL-HOLE! WORKER ABUSE!! They must have been payed off and lying!

This isn't shocking. But let's keep focusing on Apple, creating media outrage, signing petitions, etc. because their facilities are 'way, way above the norm'.
  • Reply 6 of 116
    "boredom and alienation" could have been the main contributors to stress............

they are bored...>???????? shut them DOWN....!!!!
  • Reply 7 of 116
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    What a shocker!

These truly disgusting human beings and evil liars led everybody to believe otherwise! How could it be that they were so completely wrong?

Apple should sue all of the ignoramuses for libel, slander and they should be investigated for their pathetic attempts at illegal stock manipulation. The should also be audited by the IRS and other federal agencies to uncover any illegal activities that the lowlifes might be involved in. I would like to see those people go down and I'd like to see them completely ruined!
  • Reply 8 of 116
    Foxconn did have time to prepare. It wasn't exactly a surprise inspection.
  • Reply 9 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] FLA President Auret van Heerden said after his first visits to Foxconn's facilities this week that the operation is "first class," adding that conditions are "way, way above the average of the norm," according to Reuters. [...]

Surprise. Like we weren't expecting that.
  • Reply 10 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

The lefties will have none of this. It's still full steam ahead until Apple "brings those jobs home" to the unions for $41 an hour.

I'm a lefty of the pragmatic variety who grew up in the 3rd world and I would say to all those (ignorant but well-meaning) people who complained about "horrible, inhuman" working conditions at Foxconn: You should wish that all factories in the 3rd world were run like Foxconn's Apple operations.
  • Reply 11 of 116
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In fact, van Heerden even suggested that "boredom and alienation" could have been the main contributors to stress that led to a string of suicides at the company's plants years ago.

Or perhaps it was the large cash payments that "pushed a few workers over the edge".
  • Reply 12 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Yes, they completely revamped their production areas, taking out half the assembly seats and putting in twice the amenities overnight all without disrupting production. They're Foxconn after all, they're good at that kind of precise, lightning quick execution.
  • Reply 13 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Or perhaps it was the large cash payments that "pushed a few workers over the edge".

Love the pic with the article, so... classy. I heard that SJ would personally go to China to whip the workers.
  • Reply 14 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

It seems the FLA is looking at conditions as compared to clothing manufacturing. So they're blown away by how much better tech manufacturing is. FLA needs to be careful to not be too glowing and impressed using comparisons to other industries or else it won't look as legit. Though I'm sure people are already planning on dismissing the report no matter what.

What I got out of his statements is just how bad things must be at textile shops, scary.

Possibly, the scrutiny of Apple will result in greater scrutiny elsewhere too. Hopefully, Apple will step up as the undisputed leader in the field of factory conditions.

This could be a big win for Apple if it pays its cards right. So far, so good.
  • Reply 15 of 116
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

The FLA must be wrong. I've been told that Apple is doing nothing to improve conditions and lets companies off the hook for treating workers like slaves.

</s>

Critics have already attacked the FLA as being an industry rubber stamp. Nothing will satisfy this crowd so get used to it. This is going to be harped on indefinitely because it fits right in with their political agenda. And with AAPL closing in on half a trillion in market cap it's only going to get worse.
  • Reply 16 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

</s>

I don't believe what independent factory audits say. I only believe what shadowy nameless accusers say to the NYT. Because nobody believes what they hear; they hear what they believe.

</s>
  • Reply 17 of 116
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Yeah, but but but that fat actor guy with a Broadway show to hawk says he did a much more thorough investigation by standing outside the gates and talking via a translator to random employees.

That guy is awful.. What's even worse is that all these news outlets are giving him airtime !! And validating all his nonsense .... What I find frustrating is they do not mention other companies involved with Foxconn .. Guess thats what happens when you the biggest company in the world .
  • Reply 18 of 116
    Quote:

Was waiting for this comment. How much significant change do you possibly think they could have implemented, since they employ hundreds of thousands of workers? I mean, seriously. How would they have 'prepared'? By renovating the entire facility? Revamping all operations? These are massive facilities with very tight and technical production lines. ANY change would have to be carefully studied before implementation. FLA also interviewed workers, etc. This isn't a tiny office which can be cleaned up the night before.
  • Reply 19 of 116
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I'm a lefty of the pragmatic variety who grew up in the 3rd world and I would say to all those (ignorant but well-meaning) people who complained about "horrible, inhuman" working conditions at Foxconn: You should wish that all factories in the 3rd world were run like Foxconn's Apple operations.

Well meaning my ass.

The ignorant people who signed and supported that petition are no better than the KKK. They are pure scum and they are evil people. Ignorance is no excuse for evil. On the previous threads about this issue they were attacking anybody who defended Apple. They had zero facts or proof to back up any of their slanderous assertions and anybody who provided facts and data which proved them wrong were attacked and labeled as racists. One genius even called me a European colonialist.

These are not well meaning people. They are scum and all they do is lie about others. They lied about Apple and they lied about anybody who pointed out that they were completely wrong.
  • Reply 20 of 116
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Exactly the quote I would expect from someone who's already convicted Apple of being evil. No amount of evidence to the contrary will suffice.