Apple's US Samsung lawsuit expands to 8 patents and names 17 products

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014

Apple's US lawsuit against Samsung in far larger than originally reported, specifically naming 13 smartphones, two media players and two tablets, and encompasses twice as many patents as were revealed in the company's parallel bid for a preliminary injunction against Samsung's Galaxy Nexus.

Apple's request for a preliminary injunction on sales of Samsung's Android 4.0 Galaxy Nexus, as reported last week, was based on four patents, two of which have been asserted previously including one that successfully awarded Apple an injunction against the US import of infringing HTC phones.

However, after reviewing Apple's full complaint against Samsung, FOSS Patents writer Florian Muller reports that, in addition to the preliminary injunction, Apple's suit also targets a total of 17 Samsung products with a total of 8 patent claims.

Twice the patents

The four additional patents Apple is asserting in the wider lawsuit include , "universal interface for retrieval of information in a computer system," which describes an invention that delivers relevant search by intelligently narrowing down results, relevant both to Spotlight search and Siri.

A second new patent, , named "Missed telephone call management for a portable multifunction device," was filed in 2007 alongside the release of the original iPhone. It describes an interface for presenting relevant contact information and other callback options after an incoming call is missed.

A third patent, also filed in 2007, is , "Asynchronous data synchronization amongst devices," relates to software that enables users to continue working with data, such as calendar items, contacts or bookmarks, while a device is actively syncing.

The fourth additional patent, , "Graphical user interface using historical lists with field classes," was filed in 1995 and relates to intelligently presenting selectable items in a list after the user begins entering a selection.

Originally developed for use with Apple's Newton Message Pad, the patent also seems to relate to predictive search, leading Mueller to observe, "If Apple enforced this one successfully against Chrome, it might create serious problems for Google."

To explain why Apple is asserting four patents in its preliminary injunction but a total of eight in its overall case, Mueller writes, "for the preliminary injunction bid, Apple had to focus on patents that can succeed on the fast track, where the judge only has limited time to understand a patent and the parties' related arguments."

17 Samsung devices on trial

While Apple's preliminary injunction targeted the Galaxy Nexus, Samsung's Android 4.0 launch vehicle created in a closed partnership with Google, its broader lawsuit names 17 products, although its patent claims aren't limited only to the devices specifically named.

Apple's suit names over a dozen Samsung smartphones, including Samsung's Galaxy S II Skyrocket, Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch, and Galaxy S II for both T-Mobile and AT&T, the Galaxy Nexus, Illusion, Captivate Glide, Exhibit II 4G, Stratosphere, Transform Ultra, Admire, Conquer 4G and Dart.

The lawsuit also lists two media players Samsung positioned against the iPod touch: the Galaxy Player 4.0 and 5.0 (the numbers relate to the devices' screen sizes, not a version number).

Samsung launched both models in October 2011, promoted using screen shots borrowed from an iPhone, nearly a year after originally launching the Player brand at the end of 2010.

Also listed in the complaint are two new tablets, the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus and Galaxy Tab 8.9. Apple's initial lawsuit already named previous Galaxy Tab models.

Apple stepping up its legal game

Apple's latest complaint in its battle with Samsung is regarded as involving "much stronger patents" than the company's initial litigation from last year, according to RBC Capital Markets analyst Mike Abramksy.

"It's also worth noting that Apple's complaint is very concise," Mueller wrote. "Last year's complaint [portrayed in the graphic above] against Samsung had a lot of (very well-crafted) narrative on Samsung's alleged copying of Apple's products. The new complaint doesn't have to repeat much of that. It basically just explains that the alleged problem has exacerbated, and brings new claims."

Mueller added, "This lawsuit is going to be huge."

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

17 Samsung devices on trial

And if and when they are found guilty, I demand death by hanging!

A few clueless people are going to whine about Apple suing too much and Apple being too much of a bully and Apple being afraid of the competition blah blah blah. If you are one of those people, then go home and play with your Android phone, go root it or something and just keep quiet.

The bottom line is that Apple has an obligation to protect it's company from predators and thieves. For Apple to let anything slide would be incredibly stupid and no intelligent person would ever do such a thing. Apple is not suing just for the hell of things. If fewer companies copied Apple, then Apple would be suing less. Apple is not the one who decides how many lawsuits there are. It is the competition who is deciding the amount of lawsuits. The more that they copy, the more that Apple will be forced to sue.
  • Reply 2 of 83
    Another copy of the Muller report, why don't we just change this site to Mullerinsider?
  • Reply 3 of 83
    I am getting so sick of the patent dispute between Apple and Samsung. It's like watching two siblings fighting and tattling to Mom and Dad about every little thing the other is doing wrong. I hope a judge slaps both these companies on the wrist and forces them to sit down and come to an agreement. Either that, or these companies succeed in taking down the big evil that is the current patent system and forces major reform to the whole system.

Maybe that is the end game all along, to have these major tech companies fight and sue each other so much over patent infringments that business grinds to a halt and all new companies and inventions are stifled to the point of asphyxiation. Only then might we see some change to the way intellectual property and patents are handled.
  • Reply 4 of 83
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Samsung's accessories have a RIDICULOUS similarity to those of Apple's. I mean, that USB cable.. really? That case.. really? It's almost as if they're purposely taunting Apple. There's no reason the USB connector has to be such a similar shape, and no other company has done this.
  • Reply 5 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WaywardPondering View Post

I am getting so sick of the patent dispute between Apple and Samsung.

Not nearly as sick as I am of people like you who don't understand jack about what's really going on here.

Quote:

It's like watching two siblings fighting and tattling to Mom and Dad about every little thing the other is doing wrong.

Then don't watch.

Quote:

I hope a judge slaps both these companies on the wrist and forces them to sit down and come to an agreement.

Why? Don't you want a just settlement? Or maybe that matters less than your being somehow inconvenienced by justice taking its course.

Quote:

Either that, or these companies succeed in taking down the big evil that is the current patent system and forces major reform to the whole system.

Thanks for proving my point that you don't understand jack about what's really going on.

Quote:

Maybe that is the end game all along, to have these major tech companies fight and sue each other so much over patent infringments that business grinds to a halt and all new companies and inventions are stifled to the point of asphyxiation. Only then might we see some change to the way intellectual property and patents are handled.

Let me guess how you'd handle them: You'd get rid of them.
  • Reply 6 of 83
    Its what Steve wanted he said he wanted to start WW3 on Android even if it meant spending the 100 billion in the bank on it..this should make any other company think twice
  • Reply 7 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xavier83 View Post

Its what Steve wanted he said he wanted to start WW3 on Android even if it meant spending the 100 billion in the bank on it..this should make any other company think twice

Well then just buy them all and shut them down. Probably cheaper than paying the lawyers for years.
  • Reply 8 of 83
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    In before the "Apple is protecting their IP on principle!" / "Apple is ridiculous with these BS patents" argument.

BTW Apple is ridiculous...
  • Reply 9 of 83
    Can someone bring up one of those requisite "Samsung phones before 2007 & Samsung phones after 2007" images?
  • Reply 11 of 83
    Apple will be lucky if one of these patents stick. I wonder what drug the patent office was smoking when they granted these.

Of course AI i quoting Microsoft's butt boy he hates google.
  • Reply 12 of 83
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

Can someone bring up one of those requisite "Samsung phones before 2007 & Samsung phones after 2007" images?

Except that photo only works for imbeciles as it shows an incomplete picture of their lineup. Now do you want to be an imbecile or do you want to go look up some of their other phone models circa 2007-2008? It wasn't all Apple.
  • Reply 13 of 83
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    It’s obviously sheer coincidence that Samsung has SO many product details SO very close to Apple’s. Coincidence that their new phone-thing comes in white, too. They never mimic Apple.

Thank goodness Samsung is anti-competition. If we saw more REAL competition and not lazy copying, then they’d be innovating more, with newer and more unique ideas. Who wants that? Just keep copying Apple right down to the packaging. That’s innovation worth rooting for!

And of course there’s NO other way to design a product. That’s why all phones/tablets/accessories have always looked exactly like Apple products down to the last detail,and always will. Nothing different about Samsung at all...
  • Reply 14 of 83
    Apple,

Please quit mucking around and go for the throat.

Google.

All of this mucking around with phone manufactueres will achieve nothing when another provider will pop up in their place.
  • Reply 15 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

Well then just buy them all and shut them down. Probably cheaper than paying the lawyers for years.

That would probably violate antitrust laws.
  • Reply 16 of 83
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Except that photo only works for imbeciles as it shows an incomplete picture of their lineup. Now do you want to be an imbecile or do you want to go look up some of their other phone models circa 2007-2008? It wasn't all Apple.

How's this one in 2006.

http://m.engadget.com/default/articl...sic&postPage=1
  • Reply 17 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

I hope so. They're quite effective.
  • Reply 18 of 83
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Here's some good partial reading.

http://www.cultofmac.com/91561/the-f...msung-lawsuit/
  • Reply 19 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Not nearly as sick as I am of people like you who don't understand jack about what's really going on here.

Then don't watch.

Why? Don't you want a just settlement? Or maybe that matters less than your being somehow inconvenienced by justice taking its course.

Thanks for proving my point that you don't understand jack about what's really going on.

Let me guess how you'd handle them: You'd get rid of them.

Thank you Sacto Joe for highlighting how wrong you think I am wrong, but providing no reasoning as to how or why. You must merely enjoy picking apart other people's posts while you yourself provide nothing new or intellectual.
  • Reply 20 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

How's this one in 2006.

http://m.engadget.com/default/articl...sic&postPage=1

That link isn't working, but if it's the one I'm thinking of, it looks like they ripped off the Zune: