Apple unveils Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion coming this summer with 100+ new features

Comments

• Reply 21 of 273
    Cook talked about the halo effect from the iPhone being much stronger than the iPod's ever was. This OSX update is going to drive a HUGE halo effect. The driver of the halo effect won't change, but the back end conversion rate will.

Once the person is driven into an Apple store by the "this device is awesome -- I want to see what else they make", having all these familiar apps and features (messages, reminders and notification center are probably the biggest in this regard) is going to be incredibly compelling.

Great news for shareholders.
  • Reply 22 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

And "Mountain Lion"? Really? When I first heard it, I thought it was a joke. That makes three Apple OS releases that are basically the same animal (Puma, Panther, Mountain Lion).

Pretty much. What's next? West Texas Mountain Lion?
  • Reply 23 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Wow, looks like I better hurry in upgrading everything to Lion!

Any mention of Core2Duo support?

That's the big question. Apple historically orphans old Macs when a new release comes out. Lion demanded Core 2 Duo support which begins in 2007 for iMacs and Macbooks and were shipped in Mac Minis as late as the first half of last year. So that cannot be criteria if Apple wants to drop support for older machines.

My wife has a Macbook Pro 15" Santa Rosa from mid-2007. That machine began its life on Tiger, moved to Leopard, Snow Leopard and now Lion. After a recent motherboard swap due to the Nvidia graphics card issue, it's basically a young machine again. I was thinking of even dropping an SSD in it since the hard drive is still stock. But I have to re-evaluate that if Apple choses to drop current OS support for it.
  • Reply 24 of 273
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Maybe my memory is not so good, but did Steve Jobs not say that they were done with cat names? Someone straighten me out.
  • Reply 25 of 273
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

[S] Well, you can be sure that Apple won't have an East Texas (district) anything [/S]! \
  • Reply 26 of 273
    Totally awesome! Yeah, this should go great with my new 15" MacBook Air!
  • Reply 27 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pslice View Post

Will iBooks be coming to the new system????

I would expect it to be added before release. You have to keep in mind that they have to make a deal with publishers to allow this.
  • Reply 28 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IanRid View Post

So that's a load of features I don't need. But is it going to work faster and more reliably?

Eh, I'm a bit underwhelmed too. Nothing here really enhances my daily use cases. It would be nice if they spent time overhauling iTunes, Safari, Finder, network drive mounting, or Mac OS Server. iTunes badly needs a major update. Hopefully they will at least add Siri.

It would be great if OSX apps could communicate and sync with your iPhone. Want to plan a trip to NY? Do it on your iPad or laptop and have the plan sync with Maps on your phone. They should come up with a way for 3rd party apps to communicate and sync too so your trip can be sent to the TomTom app or Navigon. Siri also needs to be able to communicate with 3rd party apps and this should be done on OSX and iOS all synced between all your devices. Ask Siri to add a reminder on your laptop and it should remind you on your iPhone too.
  • Reply 29 of 273
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Pretty soon (usually released bi-annually), BUT, this really seems cool. I'm more excited about iCloud document integration, Messages, Notes, Reminders and Notification Centre. I just wish they'd update the iWork and iLife series to go with it.

It appears as though Apple doesn't want too many conferences at once (Education event in January, iPad 3 in March), they'll probably go through it further at either the iOS Software Event or the WWDC.
  • Reply 30 of 273
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Reading books using a Mac doesn't make sense to me, but because of education it'll probably happen eventually.
  • Reply 31 of 273
    I know this is splitting hairs....

But Apple does know that the Puma and the Mountain Lion are the same animal, right?
  • Reply 32 of 273
    Happy I skipped Lion now. Honestly, I thought Apple would just tack on these features to Lion...but a new OS...seems like they might be feeling the heat from MS (since 8 is like the first hype worthy OS in like a decade from them).

But loving how Apple's products are being connected more.
  • Reply 33 of 273
    http://daringfireball.net/2012/02/mountain_lion

"OS X ? is going on an iOS-esque one-major-update-per-year development schedule."
  • Reply 34 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

Ask Siri to add a reminder on your laptop and it should remind you on your iPhone too.

Actually, this should work in the reverse. As 10.8 will feature Reminders and Notification Center all tied to your Apple ID via iCloud, if you ask Siri to create a reminder for you on your iPhone, it should also add it to your Reminders on 10.8, no?
  • Reply 35 of 273
    A hybrid OSX + iOS...wouldn't Liger have been a more suitable name? Anyway, whatever name it is, these are the features I've been waiting for. Man I love Apple.
  • Reply 36 of 273
    I think we all knew that Apple would eventually push most of the best features from iOS to Mac OS X but the adoption is amazingly rapid.

We have been asking for many of these features! Thank you, Apple!
    • iCloud setup of the Mac? Check!

• Documents in the Cloud needs improved (or any at all) integration? Check!

• Notification Center on the Mac? (Watch out, Growl)

• Global sharing integration (Sharing Sheets)? Check!

• Messages on the Mac? Check!

• Notes on the Mac? Check!

• Notes actually becoming useful (supports photos, attachments, bullets and links too)? Check! (Watch out, Evernote)

• Reminders on the Mac? Check!

• AirPlay Mirroring on the Mac? Check!

Now (or soon at least) that people will be able to have a computer, smartphone, tablet and television that are well integrated there is no justification for purchasing a computer from a different manufacturer.

Apple will now compete with Game Consoles:
    • A new graphics infrastructure underpinning OpenGL and OpenCL and implementing GLKit, first introduced in iOS 5, making it easier to create OpenGL apps.

• Game Center lets users personalize their Mac gaming experience, find new games and challenge friends to play live multiplayer games, whether on a Mac, iPhone, iPad or iPod touch

• AirPlay Mirroring is also coming to the Mac, allowing users to wirelessly send a secure 720p video stream of what's on their Mac to an HDTV using Apple TV.

Anyone else believe that this is not only an excellent move for the Mac by capitalizing on Apple's current strengthens but also sets up many features that are desirable in an AppleTV?
  • Reply 37 of 273
    Quote:

And "Mountain Lion"? Really? When I first heard it, I thought it was a joke. That makes three Apple OS releases that are basically the same animal (Puma, Panther, Mountain Lion).

Well, technically a "panther" can refer to many cats, including the leopard or jaguar in Africa and Asia.

Of course, this doesn't really defeat your argument, as each of those has also been used as OS release names
  • Reply 38 of 273
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

How about Cougar, and then Lynx?
  • Reply 39 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Any mention of Core2Duo support?

Why wouldn't there be?

Quote:

I highly doubt it. HIGHLY.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Laurens View Post

Most likely the new iMac and Macbook will be introduced just before (including free issue new OS) or after the summer holidays, containing newest processors of intel's Ivy bridge platform

NO WAY! All of the Ivy Bridge updates to the Mac line should be out long before 10.8 hits.

Quote:

That's the big question. Apple historically orphans old Macs when a new release comes out. Lion demanded Core 2 Duo support which begins in 2007 for iMacs and Macbooks and were shipped in Mac Minis as late as the first half of last year. So that cannot be criteria if Apple wants to drop support for older machines.

But what's the point? There's really nothing physically stopping Core 2 machines from running it.

Personally, I'm a little bothered by how fast this came. It seems to me they'd want to kill as much time as possible before they hit OS XI so that development can properly get done. I still expect a paradigm shifting multitouch desktop computer platform with that, not some jacked up "oh, we added a multitouch screen to the exact same desktop OS everyone's already using" crap.
  • Reply 40 of 273
    Quote:

Lion works just fine on my 2006 Core2Duo MacBook 2,1 :b