Apple unveils Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion coming this summer with 100+ new features

Comments

• Reply 41 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Actually, this should work in the reverse. As 10.8 will feature Reminders and Notification Center all tied to your Apple ID via iCloud, if you ask Siri to create a reminder for you on your iPhone, it should also add it to your Reminders on 10.8, no?

Sure, I think it should work both ways. Siri should also integrate with 3rd party apps and they should also be able to sync both ways between OSX and iOS devices.

I do think that Gatekeeper is a good security architecture update. Though I hope Apple makes it easy enough to allow non app store apps to be installed where average users can do it. If you have to do some complex ctrl-option-apple clicking to open downloaded apps or a hard to find setting option, it's going to put the hurt on people trying to distribute apps outside of the store.
  • Reply 42 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I think we all knew that Apple would eventually push most of the best features from iOS to Mac OS X but the adoption is amazingly rapid.

We have been asking for many of these features! Thank you, Apple!
    • iCloud setup of the Mac? Check!

• Documents in the Cloud needs improved (or any at all) integration? Check!

• Notification Center on the Mac? (Watch out, Growl)

• Global sharing integration (Sharing Sheets)? Check!

• Messages on the Mac? Check!

• Notes on the Mac? Check!

• Notes actually becoming useful (supports photos, attachments, bullets and links too)? Check! (Watch out, Evernote)

• Reminders on the Mac? Check!

• AirPlay Mirroring on the Mac? Check!

Now (or soon at least) that people will be able to have a computer, smartphone, tablet and television that are well integrated there is no justification for purchasing a computer from a different manufacturer.

Apple will now compete with Game Consoles:
    • A new graphics infrastructure underpinning OpenGL and OpenCL and implementing GLKit, first introduced in iOS 5, making it easier to create OpenGL apps.

• Game Center lets users personalize their Mac gaming experience, find new games and challenge friends to play live multiplayer games, whether on a Mac, iPhone, iPad or iPod touch

• AirPlay Mirroring is also coming to the Mac, allowing users to wirelessly send a secure 720p video stream of what's on their Mac to an HDTV using Apple TV.

Anyone else believe that this is not only an excellent move for the Mac by capitalizing on Apple's current strengthens but also sets up many features that are desirable in an AppleTV?

I agree. But for AirPlay Mirroring to truly work, they need to eliminate the ever-present-but-slight lag. It makes playing a game in real time awkward. I'm guessing AirPlay Mirroring functions similarly to AirPlay in that the receiving device actually "pulls" the content from the hosting device (it does the heavy lifting). In that case, perhaps the AppleTV (and potential television) will incorporate the A6 and solve these problems.

The other theory I have is that 802.11n is not robust enough to offer true 1:1 real-time mirroring, but I have no way of knowing. Apple is working on a new wireless standard, though...
  • Reply 43 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

It would be great if OSX apps could communicate and sync with your iPhone. Want to plan a trip to NY? Do it on your iPad or laptop and have the plan sync with Maps on your phone. They should come up with a way for 3rd party apps to communicate and sync too so your trip can be sent to the TomTom app or Navigon. Siri also needs to be able to communicate with 3rd party apps and this should be done on OSX and iOS all synced between all your devices.

good idea but i think they will come up with these kind of things once they launch their own maps service on Mac, iPhone and iPad…

Quote:

Ask Siri to add a reminder on your laptop and it should remind you on your iPhone too.

i wish they launch siri for all apple devices (macs, iPad 2 and iPhone 4)
  • Reply 44 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

How about Cougar

Would that be released when OS X has grown a bit long in the tooth but is still trying to go after younger users?
  • Reply 45 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

John Gruber got a private one-on-one preview from Phil Schiller just over a week ago:

http://daringfireball.net/2012/02/mountain_lion

More to the point:

Quote:

Mountain Lion is not a step towards a single OS that powers both the Mac and iPad, but rather another in a series of steps toward defining a set of shared concepts, styles, and principles between two fundamentally distinct OSes.

• Reply 46 of 273
    They should FIX THE EFFING ADDRESS BOOK!
  • Reply 47 of 273
    "enhanced migration against buffer overflow attacks" -- folks, the word you are looking for is "mitigation".

While we are looking at dictionaries:

Synonyms for cougar: mountain lion, puma, panther, painter, or catamount.

puma (10.1) and panther (10.3) are taken.

So 10.9 will be catamount and 10.10 painter?

I don't think they can use cougar...

(informal) an older woman seeking a sexual relationship with a younger man.

:-)
  • Reply 48 of 273
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Wow. Totally out of left field. Way to go Apple. No one saw this coming. I'm impressed.

And a Messages beta to boot. Schweet
  • Reply 49 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zuriel View Post

http://daringfireball.net/2012/02/mountain_lion

"OS X — is going on an iOS-esque one-major-update-per-year development schedule."

By iOS-esque I hope he means price too. The last OS X upgrade cost $29. iOS upgrades don't cost a thing.
  • Reply 50 of 273
    What's that icon where Spotlight used to be?
  • Reply 51 of 273

Ready for the big question?

...Are you sure you're ready?

...Here goes...

...dum-da-dum-dum... Rimshot!

...OK, next time...

...dum-da-dum-dum... Rimshot!

...OK, this time for sure...

...Will it have a Metro UI?

• Reply 52 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

By iOS-esque I hope he means price too. The last OS X upgrade cost $29. iOS upgrades don't cost a thing.

Highly doubt it. Apple can make IOS free on a yearly basis because consumers are buying phones on a yearly basis ( as in ppl are buying much more phones per year than Macs).

Also, the demand for a new OS is low. Meaning many may op-out (much like they did with Lion) of getting this OS. Apple needs to make up this lose by charging.

Saying that, I don't thinks its impossible to have a free OS upgrade for Mac. Especially if it's small upgrades...
  • Reply 53 of 273
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Wow, still only 720p. Sad.
  • Reply 54 of 273
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

They should FIX THE EFFING ADDRESS BOOK!

What's wrong with it?
  • Reply 55 of 273
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Pretty much. What's next? West Texas Mountain Lion?

Nittany Lion perhaps?
  • Reply 56 of 273
    Superficially, I'm all about the speedy, steady updates from Apple. Now that they don't have to ship a box of software/OS, they can be much more regular and cheaper, and that's great...

BUT

not to re-open the whole issue of creative professionals feeling a bit stranded, but it usually takes a good 6 - 8 months for an operating system to get its bugs ironed out and become stable. It usually takes developers that long to update their apps or plug-ins to work with said OS. I use Final Cut (7 and X... will 7 no longer work in Mountain Lion??). I use Logic as my primary recording software, but what about all my instrument plug-ins and effects? Some of them haven't even been modified to work for Lion yet (I still run Snow Leopard), so I was waiting a bit longer. And now, a new OS in a few months.

So, with this constant cycle of a whole new OS every year, will there ever be a "stable" operating system which has been given a chance to mature before a new one washes it away, and how the hell will developers be able to keep their plugins, etc updated on such a continuous cycle (considering the past)? I hope it's not as doomy as I think it is.
  • Reply 57 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Wow, still only 720p. Sad.

I think this is going to change this year. I'm sure with the release of their TV it'll basically be like the current Apple TV. With the rumors going around that Apple is working on a faster Wi-Fi connection, 1080p should be around the corner.
  • Reply 58 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

So its going to be a snow leopard styled release, fine with me. Will certainly disrupt any hype over the next version of windows!

This isn't at all a, "snow leopard style release." Snow Leopard was a rearchitecting of much of the core OS with few new user facing features. This is a bunch of new user facing features on the foundation that was Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 59 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nalwaub3 View Post

(informal) an older woman seeking a sexual relationship with a younger man.

:-)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Rimshot!

What is this thread coming to??
  • Reply 60 of 273
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Damn that's quick.

Not surprising given that the new OS consists majorly in porting iOS features to the Macintosh. Or so the corresponding Apple page lets me think. This leaves me totally indifferent since I don't own an i-device.

Only thing that I find interesting is the new security policy. It seems OK on paper but we will see what it gives in practice.