Apple unveils Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion coming this summer with 100+ new features

Comments

• Reply 81 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluevoid View Post

And all Core 2 Duos can boot into a 64-bit kernel. So if they're dropping support for some Macs that happened to ship with a Core 2 Duo, then they are doing it for a different reason.

while the CPUs are 64 bit, some of the systems are not capable of full 64 bit kernels due to other limitations, mostly in the EFI. There is a lot more to running a 64 bit machine than just the CPU.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zuriel View Post

I think Gatekeeper is a feature to developers who go through the approval process of the Mac App Store. It gives consumers an outlet that is even more reliable option (ie. shopping at the Apple Store vs. Craigslist). The option to make apps and distribute them out of the App Store is still available, but it's looking a lot less desirable now...

Here is what is happening... Apple wants to force the Mac App Store on everyone. It knows its users and developers don't want to be forced and it would backlash on them. So they are slowly working their way to get it done using psychology. They are convincing all their users that it was the users idea themselves to only use the Mac App Store... you don't feel like your forced if you were convinced it was your idea in the first place. Once all the users are there, the Developers will be forced to follow, or they won't have any users for their apps.
  • Reply 82 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

while the CPUs are 64 bit, some of the systems are not capable of full 64 bit kernels due to other limitations, mostly in the EFI. There is a lot more to running a 64 bit machine than just the CPU.

True dat.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3770
  • Reply 83 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

Eh, I'm a bit underwhelmed too. Nothing here really enhances my daily use cases. It would be nice if they spent time overhauling iTunes, Safari, Finder, network drive mounting, or Mac OS Server. iTunes badly needs a major update. Hopefully they will at least add Siri.

It would be great if OSX apps could communicate and sync with your iPhone. Want to plan a trip to NY? Do it on your iPad or laptop and have the plan sync with Maps on your phone. They should come up with a way for 3rd party apps to communicate and sync too so your trip can be sent to the TomTom app or Navigon. Siri also needs to be able to communicate with 3rd party apps and this should be done on OSX and iOS all synced between all your devices. Ask Siri to add a reminder on your laptop and it should remind you on your iPhone too.

What you describe around syncing is already available in iCloud, and Mountain Lion will include Messages, Contacts, Reminders, and Notes that all sync across any iCloud enabled devices.

As for expanded Siri support, my prediction (worth exactly what you've paid for it) is that a Siri integration API will eventually appear. I don't think Apple feels comfortable doing that yet because they still have availability issues with the Siri service.
  • Reply 84 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypercommunist View Post

True dat.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3770

That is not evidence that any Core 2 Duos are going to be dropped in the move from Lion to Mountain Lion, regardless of how the dev preview behaves.
  • Reply 85 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

Here is what is happening... Apple wants to force the Mac App Store on everyone. It knows its users and developers don't want to be forced and it would backlash on them. So they are slowly working their way to get it done using psychology. They are convincing all their users that it was the users idea themselves to only use the Mac App Store... you don't feel like your forced if you were convinced it was your idea in the first place. Once all the users are there, the Developers will be forced to follow, or they won't have any users for their apps.

I don't see a problem with this forced move. Consumers get a more reliable product. Developers get a better platform to sell that product.
  • Reply 86 of 273
    ecsecs Posts: 307member
    Any hope that autosave+versions will be a configurable setting in Mountain Lion?
  • Reply 87 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluevoid View Post

That is not evidence that any Core 2 Duos are going to be dropped in the move from Lion to Mountain Lion, regardless of how the dev preview behaves.

The Developer Previews for Lion dropped Core machines. You don't see them back.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zuriel View Post

I don't see a problem with this forced move. Consumers get a more reliable product. Developers get a better platform to sell that product.

My computer. I install what I want if I so choose.
  • Reply 88 of 273
    Yeah, Siri is a big omission for right now and you would think it would be a real opportunity since most of us weren't thinking that 10.8 would be available before 2013. There's still time to include it I reckon....Siri for iOS was trotted out at the last minute.
  • Reply 89 of 273
    Apple has a habit of doubling the required amount of memory every release or so. Let's hope this isn't the case with Mountain Lion.

Cheetah/Puma/Jaguar/Panther - 128MB

Tiger - 256MB

Leopard - 512MB

Snow Leopard - 1GB

Lion - 2GB
  • Reply 90 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

Yeah, Siri is a big omission for right now and you would think it would be a real opportunity since most of us weren't thinking that 10.8 would be available before 2013. There's still time to include it I reckon....Siri for iOS was trotted out at the last minute.

"Trotted ou?"? It's an iPhone 4S feature, not an iOS feature. How in the world is 'One More Thing?' supposed to equal "trotted out at the last minute"?
  • Reply 91 of 273
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

They should FIX THE EFFING ADDRESS BOOK!

Whats wrong with it like?
  • Reply 92 of 273
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

Eh, I'm a bit underwhelmed too. Nothing here really enhances my daily use cases. It would be nice if they spent time overhauling iTunes, Safari, Finder, network drive mounting, or Mac OS Server. iTunes badly needs a major update. Hopefully they will at least add Siri.

It would be great if OSX apps could communicate and sync with your iPhone. Want to plan a trip to NY? Do it on your iPad or laptop and have the plan sync with Maps on your phone. They should come up with a way for 3rd party apps to communicate and sync too so your trip can be sent to the TomTom app or Navigon. Siri also needs to be able to communicate with 3rd party apps and this should be done on OSX and iOS all synced between all your devices. Ask Siri to add a reminder on your laptop and it should remind you on your iPhone too.

I think the next OSX will see a significant UI and underpinnings update. A year is not enough for that. This release does what it needs to do, which is provide powerful new integration with iOS, which most people will benefit from. I know absolutely noone with just a mac and no iOS device. These are features that will tangibly benefit a great many people.
  • Reply 93 of 273
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

My computer. I install what I want if I so choose.

The Core 2 Duo chip is 64bit, the 'Core' systems were 32bit, thats why they are not supported for Lion. Core 2 Duo will be fine with ML
  • Reply 94 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

The Core 2 Duo chip is 64bit, the 'Core' systems were 32bit, thats why they are not supported for Lion.

And that was an arbitrary limit applied by Apple.

Quote:

Core 2 Duo will be fine with ML

The first Core 2 chips can't boot to 64-bit EFI. If they're not in the dev previews, they won't be in the final.
  • Reply 95 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Thursday announced Mac OS X 10.8, dubbed "Mountain Lion," the next major release of its Mac operating system, set to launch on the Mac App Store this summer, with a preview now available for Mac developers. ...

My only hope (and it's probably a long shot) is that they get rid of, or give us a way to disable ... "versions."

I'm not one of those people that instantly disabled most of Lion's features to make it work like Snow Leopard and I've tried over and over again to work with the idea of versions, but it's just impossible for my work flow. I need to be in control of my files.

Also, I use "Preview" almost daily, and the way they dumbed it down in Lion is annoying at best. I don't like to replace such a key part of the OS with a third party solution, if they just gave the power users some options for control they could leave the idiot proof stuff as the default and it would all be so much better.
  • Reply 96 of 273
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

And "Mountain Lion"? Really? When I first heard it, I thought it was a joke. That makes three Apple OS releases that are basically the same animal (Puma, Panther, Mountain Lion).

Mountain Lion makes sense. It implies that it is Lion, but more. More as in added features but the core OS remains the same.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

They should FIX THE EFFING ADDRESS BOOK!

Its not really broken, just not great. Usability-wise it is clunky as hell. If you use keyboard shortcuts its a lot better but it would be great to be able to click some buttons at the top of the app to invoke some of the commands (like in every other app)

I am also with Solip in wanting an integrated Calendar, Address book solution like Outlook.
  • Reply 97 of 273
    Can't wait to have my $2500+ laptop act just like a $49 cell phone. Oh joy.
  • Reply 98 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Can't wait to have my $2500+ laptop act just like a $49 cell phone. Oh joy.

So don't upgrade if you enjoy pretending that this is in any way the case. But when you're THAT wrong, just don't whine about it here, either.
  • Reply 99 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes, for the reason already mentioned, and this is not the same scenario as with Mountain Lion.

They may perfectly well drop support for 2007-era Macs (don't own any; don't care) but from a user experience and business perspective, it'd be odd to not be able to install 10.8 from the App Store when you installed 10.7 just fine less than a year earlier. Odd, but certainly possible given Apple's history of artificial restrictions.

Anyway, I hope they don't delay the new Macbooks for this OS. I don't see a single thing previewed so far making me significantly more productive (only more distracted). Finder is still virtually unchanged from 10 years ago, can we get a little UI innovation there please? Oh right, we're not supposed to know about files any more.
  • Reply 100 of 273
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

My only hope (and it's probably a long shot) is that they get rid of, or give us a way to disable ... "versions."

I'm not one of those people that instantly disabled most of Lion's features to make it work like Snow Leopard and I've tried over and over again to work with the idea of versions, but it's just impossible for my work flow. I need to be in control of my files.

Also, I use "Preview" almost daily, and the way they dumbed it down in Lion is annoying at best. I don't like to replace such a key part of the OS with a third party solution, if they just gave the power users some options for control they could leave the idiot proof stuff as the default and it would all be so much better.

Version don't bother me so much. But each time I open an app I have 5 - 20 windows all over the place. I hate that.

I also use Preview all the time but I am happy with it. What did they dumb down?

Btw - over at MacWorld they posted a Terminal prompt to enable text selection in QuickLook. Its awesome.
    To make text selectable in Quick Look previews, you just need to enable a hidden Finder setting. Select and copy the code below, open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities), paste that code at the prompt, then press Return:

defaults write com.apple.finder QLEnableTextSelection -bool TRUE; killall Finder

After a second or two, the Finder will restart. Once it does, you'll be able to select text in Quick Look previews and copy it to the Clipboard for use elsewhere.

If you decide you don?t deserve to select text in Quick Look, you can turn this feature off with another Terminal command:

defaults delete com.apple.finder QLEnableTextSelection; killall Finder