Apple's iPad driving accelerated enterprise transition away from printing

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I've never actually figured out why iOS does not support printing to a network printer. It seems like really basic OS functionality that would be easy to implement. Anyone have a simple explanation for that?

I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about; i just printed this Forum from my iPad2/Safari using AirPrint to our Xerox 700/EFI Server... which is a "network printer".

I've been able to also print to my old Canon i9950 and HP C8100 USB printers (usb) just fine as well.

However... I hardly ever need or want to. I'm actually in the business of showing other businesses how to integrate the iPad in their workflows, and have only one time been asked about printing. I first make sure to find out "why" and "what" they NEED to print, before giving them the solution. Many times it's just people with old and wasteful habits though.

I then go on to explain and teach how to make good use of Spotlight, Spotlight Comments, and my favorite app on the Mac, Launchbar. Then they see the reason why printing and filing just might not be that useful in the long run.

Local servers and Cloud integration is where the game is. And don't forget offsite physical backups

Normal office printing can and should be reduced at least 50% over the next couple of years from the levels of 2010.

Amazing how many people do not know how to use email features like flagging, Smart Folders, even basic Spotlight search within Mail, etc. I can't count how many people I have met that have an Inbox with a few thousand emails... and when I ask how they find something, they just scroll up and down the list.

I firmly believe and experience the fact daily, that technology has moved far faster than most people have had the time to learn or keep up with. Nobody I know, truly "knows" MS Office for example... or even Outlook. I estimate that more than 75% of the Office program's features are not used at all, or worse... misused and abused (poooor MS! ☺ ).

I didn't mean to get off-track, but this also explains the reason why printing is declining: the old boring, confusing, hard-to-learn-when-your-crashing way of business and workflows, is being replaced by the fun, easy, and productive iPad.... and Mac OS X.

PS. It's all about search: I know tons of people that don't know how to bookmark a page, but use Google or the URL bar every single time they go to a site. I tell and show 'em Spotlight is the same thing, just like Google, but for iOS or OS X.... and they're gobsmacked
  • Reply 42 of 47
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about; i just printed this Forum from my iPad2/Safari using AirPrint to our Xerox 700/EFI Server... which is a "network printer".

I've been able to also print to my old Canon i9950 and HP C8100 USB printers (usb) just fine as well.

However... I hardly ever need or want to. I'm actually in the business of showing other businesses how to integrate the iPad in their workflows, and have only one time been asked about printing. I first make sure to find out "why" and "what" they NEED to print, before giving them the solution. Many times it's just people with old and wasteful habits though.

I then go on to explain and teach how to make good use of Spotlight, Spotlight Comments, and my favorite app on the Mac, Launchbar. Then they see the reason why printing and filing just might not be that useful in the long run.

Local servers and Cloud integration is where the game is. And don't forget offsite physical backups

Normal office printing can and should be reduced at least 50% over the next couple of years from the levels of 2010.

Amazing how many people do not know how to use email features like flagging, Smart Folders, even basic Spotlight search within Mail, etc. I can't count how many people I have met that have an Inbox with a few thousand emails... and when I ask how they find something, they just scroll up and down the list.

I firmly believe and experience the fact daily, that technology has moved far faster than most people have had the time to learn or keep up with. Nobody I know, truly "knows" MS Office for example... or even Outlook. I estimate that more than 75% of the Office program's features are not used at all, or worse... misused and abused (poooor MS! ☺ ).

I didn't mean to get off-track, but this also explains the reason why printing is declining: the old boring, confusing, hard-to-learn-when-your-crashing way of business and workflows, is being replaced by the fun, easy, and productive iPad.... and Mac OS X.

PS. It's all about search: I know tons of people that don't know how to bookmark a page, but use Google or the URL bar every single time they go to a site. I tell and show 'em Spotlight is the same thing, just like Google, but for iOS or OS X.... and they're gobsmacked

Thanks. I meant to any network printer, not just AirPrint-enabled printers. I haven't tried USB printers, but useful to know that works.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Because very few printers are compatible with the iPad.

You can make most attached printers work from iPads using Printopia or the Windows thing I cant remember the name of
  • Reply 44 of 47
    I currently reside in the Managed Print Services ecosystem and this is no surprise to me.

Nobody needs to print as much as they once did and as the number of tablets being used increases, the less toner will be hitting paper.

It would be nice to think that Apple was uniquely behind this, but they aren't - Apple recognized it early on - less people will print, print drivers are too large and would take valuable space, and less people will print.

Bigger shift coming. Shift out of print like never before. Mobile print won't save the big printer companies...it may be too late for them.

"Toner to Tablets"
  • Reply 45 of 47
    It seems to me that the decline in paper will provide the incentive for big business to innovate and mainstream 3d printers.. Its likely the logical evolution for the printer market.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    I wonder just how many pieces of paper exactly an iPad needs to supplant before it's an environmental plus on those grounds.

Not to say I'm not glad business is moving away from printing everything on paper -- that's good, & tablets are obviously the up-and-coming thing, but 1 iPad battery has got to equal 100,000 sheets of paper, I'd think.

Now that I think about it though, the ROI on Canon cartridges is probably not all that steep at all, at +/- $26.00 each. 20 ink carts = a low-end iPad? Awesome- unplug that stupid Canon.
  • Reply 47 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by argonaut View Post

The other issue is that Bluetooth Printing is not supported with iPhone or iPad...

My wife was never so disappointed in her iPhone as when she couldn't print to her Pogo!

(you can do it via a Mac but that is clumsy and cumbersome)

Why is Bluetooth Printing not supported on iDevices??

If you have a Mac that is ON and you have wireless Internet in your home, and a printer,

You can get Printopia for your Mac and then you can print from your iPad. Once in a while I print out something from my first gen iPad. It works great! ANY printer that is on your network will work.