Apple unveils Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion coming this summer with 100+ new features

Comments

• Reply 121 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Would 3.8Mbps be an acceptable bitrate for that sort of thing?

I downloaded the 720p and 1080p files of this video from YouTube. The 720p option is 1967kbps and the 1080p is 3344kbps. I can't seem to find my iTunes Store tests that I took a couple years ago but I thought they hovered around 3-4Mbps making them inline with Google's 1080p. I'm not a big fan of letting the marketing jargon wag the wag dog but if people are going to want 1080p without thinking about it then why shouldn't Apple give it to them even if it doesn't mean any appreciable difference in quality?
  • Reply 122 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Filmantopia View Post

There isn't going to be an OS XI. Just Mac iOS.

By then Mac OS will be called the iOS Developer Platform.
  • Reply 123 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So much for the stupid, "Lion will be the last version of OS X," meme. Apple just put a bullet in that meme's head.

Not really now it's going to be "Mountain Lion will see an end to OS X!" heh

I'm waiting for OS X 10.9 Dingos Ate Your Baby edition.
  • Reply 124 of 273
    So no evidence of HiDPI display support yet?
  • Reply 125 of 273
    They should call the next one Nyan.
  • Reply 126 of 273
    "Bringing more of iOS to Mac OS"

Which is why I'll be sticking with Snow Leopard...
  • Reply 127 of 273
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

My computer. I install what I want if I so choose.

If this was true then I doubt folks would want this feature nor would there be much of a push toward locking machines down a la win 8.

Sony rootkit anyone?
  • Reply 128 of 273
    Quote:

There isn't going to be an OS XI. Just Mac iOS.

Ew. No. Bad future.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So no evidence of HiDPI display support yet?

Sure there is. The stock wallpaper's dimensions are 3200x(whateveritis)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

"Bringing more of iOS to Mac OS"

Which is why I'll be sticking with Snow Leopard...

Enjoy your past! We'll enjoy the present.
  • Reply 129 of 273
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

And that was an arbitrary limit applied by Apple.

Yep, just like dropping floppy support.

Going 64 bit native across the whole mac platform has advantages you know.
  • Reply 130 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Yep, just like dropping floppy support.

Going 64 bit native across the whole mac platform has advantages you know.

Of course it does, I'm not saying it doesn't.

The fact that Core machines can run Lion makes the restriction arbitrary. An EFI-based lock-out is much harder to bypass.
  • Reply 131 of 273
    What seem interesting that no one is talking about is the Game Center integration. Yes, that is all nice and good, but what game can you play on a Mac and on an iPhone?? So, that means that we will finally have a central API that both Mac Game Center and iOS Game Center use to talk and communicate with, if I am reading that correctly? If so, this is going to be the biggest linch-pin for Mac gaming in its entire history. It is definitely a great time to be a Mac user, and even better time to be a Mac Developer!!
  • Reply 132 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I think the next OSX will see a significant UI and underpinnings update. A year is not enough for that. This release does what it needs to do, which is provide powerful new integration with iOS, which most people will benefit from. I know absolutely noone with just a mac and no iOS device. These are features that will tangibly benefit a great many people.

Until last Wednesday that had described me since August. I replaced my PC w/a Mac Mini, but I was waiting for the 4s to come out to buy the phone. Then money was tight and I didn't get my phone till last week. My wife owned an iPad, but it wasn't mine, I just used it some

If they're good programs and make sense in a desktop OS, they'd be silly not to do it just b/c people might whine that that was a phone app first. Who cares. "Oh sorry, Shakespeare already told that same basic story, don't bother."
  • Reply 133 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

What seem interesting that no one is talking about is the Game Center integration.

There is an article and thread for that.
  • Reply 134 of 273
    Quote:

Ew. No. Bad future.

I hope this happens.

Even Windows 8 is making the transition to a redesigned "touch-friendly" interface. Why should Apple spread out their resources when they can dedicate everything to one OS? Clearly we're around the corner from an a new Apple TV that will use iOS, and a user interface that allows users to easily navigate it. Pretty much every Mountain Lion feature is simply bringing iOS to Mac OS. I think it's all evidence that the current Mac OS is beginning to bog down Apple's business. Apple is doing everything they can to turn Mac OS into iOS, and one day in the not-so-distant future the transition will complete.
  • Reply 135 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And it makes no sense for Apple to release an AppleTV that can output 720p until they have iTS content that is also 1080p. Now I've heard that they have secured many of the rights thus far and have getting content owners to upload 1080p content in whatever bitrate was agreed upon. I wouldn't be surprised if this was an extra $1 per video over 720p if it's a substantial increase in the file size, but if they follow other distributors that claim 1080p but with bitrates around Apple's 720p (or worse) then I assume it will cost the same.

With a sophisticated codec and enough CPU/GPU compute power and RAM at the receiving end (the ATV3) Apple could drop intermediate frames, compress, stream/download on the server -- then decompress regen dropped frames on the ATV3.

I did some quick experiments and dropping 50% of the frames at 25 FPS, then compressing, reduces the file size (bandwidth requirements) by about 80%.

Apple has some very sophisticated algorithms, like Optical Flow, that, in many cases, do a very good job of generating missing frames. This is normally used to slow video without jerkiness and artifacts. Something like Optical Flow could be repurposed (with hinting) to drop and later regenerate frames with little effect on video quality -- and massive reduction of file size/bandwidth.

• Reply 136 of 273
    Quote:

Apple is doing everything they can to turn Mac OS into iOS, and one day in the not-so-distant future the transition will complete.

Then it needs to be lighter, slimmer, require less RAM, and be blisteringly faster overall.

I don't like the connotation that "Mac iOS" brings. "OS XI" implies a continuation of OS' designed for desktop use, but allows for the introduction of a new interaction paradigm. Then iOS can be rewritten under the OS XI code base while keeping the same name.

"iPhone runs OS X," was the line in January 2007.

"iPhone 8 runs OS XI" should be the line in 2014.
  • Reply 137 of 273
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I hope they come out with a new Mac Pro by the time this release drops. Unfortunately we have quite a few machines that apparently will not be upgradable according to the reports.
  • Reply 138 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

A good example of metaphor inflation.©Flaneur, 2012

Edit: Actually I see that I was anticipated at this curious website: http://www.thirdworldcounty.us/?p=10591

Then there is the story of the girl who had circles all over her body... People kept touching her with a ten-foot pole
  • Reply 139 of 273
    Quote:

I don't like the connotation that "Mac iOS" brings. "OS XI" implies a continuation of OS' designed for desktop use, but allows for the introduction of a new interaction paradigm. Then iOS can be rewritten under the OS XI code base while keeping the same name.

What exactly are you losing if the Mac OS goes away? Taking into account the inevitable increase in sophistication that will come to iOS.
  • Reply 140 of 273
    Quote:

Then it needs to be lighter, slimmer, require less RAM, and be blisteringly faster overall.

"iPhone runs OS X," was the line in January 2007.

"iPhone 8 runs OS XI" should be the line in 2014.

Perhaps OSX Everywhere...

Xx86 and XOA