Apple's US Samsung lawsuit expands to 8 patents and names 17 products

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I think the president of LG said it too!

Actions speak louder than pathetic words and if they were so convinced by their own absurd delusions and they stand by what they say, then why don't they sue? They never have. Surely Apple with all of their cash is an attractive target for anybody, especially somebody who shoots their mouth off and believes that they have a case. They have nothing.
  • Reply 42 of 83
    mhdmhd Posts: 63member
    It's odd that Apple gets all their displays from LG. I wonder if a side deal was made.
  • Reply 43 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

That isn't everyone's phone...

See, I don't have a problem with this phone from a legal standpoint. Nokia is at least trying to differ themselves from Apple's stuff -- add a little diversity to the pot, if you will. But Samsung's Galaxy phones.... they're blatant attempts to capitalize on the popularity of the iPhone. Hell, last Christmas my elderly mother's phone died on her, and my Dad nearly walked out of the AT&T store with a Galaxy because the storekeeper told him "It's just like an iPhone." It's obvious to everyone that the iPhone has been Samsung's greatest marketing tool.

I think certainly the original Galaxy (an especially the TouchWiz UI) mimicked Apple's trade dress in order to profit off the popularity of the iPhone.

The Galaxy Nexus is considerable different to the iPhone however. TouchWiz is nowhere to be seen, Android ICS is very different to iOS and the hardware is completely different as well.

I think that's why Apple is hitting Samsung with patents this time instead of the trade dress complaints.
  • Reply 44 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Yes style wise its similar to the Zune. Its a touchscreen phone/music player and it even had a front facing camera. Apple perfected the touchscreen phone but the technology was slowly progressing that way. Apple just gave it a swift kick. I'm not saying Samsung is completely innocent but it would've been in their best interest to continue the road they were on and avoid all these problems.

Quote:

You forget this was pre iPhone and there's still phones for sale now that look like the ones on the left.

Do you see that phone button on each of those devices? Apple made the phone jyst another app. Regardless of whether you think a single-touch resistive or capavtenxe touchscreen is exactly like the iPhone or not that phone button is a pinnacle difference pre ad post iPhone photos. That is important!
  • Reply 45 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

Well then just buy them all and shut them down. Probably cheaper than paying the lawyers for years.

Nope. Google is worth over $100B and beside... it will never win regulatory approval anyway. As for Samsung, the South Korean Gov. will not allow any foreign company to own one of its own "ironic" company.

... my 2 cents ...
  • Reply 46 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post

See, I don't have a problem with this phone from a legal standpoint. Nokia is at least trying to differ themselves from Apple's stuff -- add a little diversity to the pot, if you will. But Samsung's Galaxy phones.... they're blatant attempts to capitalize on the popularity of the iPhone. Hell, last Christmas my elderly mother's phone died on her, and my Dad nearly walked out of the AT&T store with a Galaxy because the storekeeper told him "It's just like an iPhone." It's obvious to everyone that the iPhone has been Samsung's greatest marketing tool.

You mean the Nokia phones that look similar to the multi-color anodized iPods that came out a few years ago?
  • Reply 47 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

You mean the Nokia phones that look similar to the multi-color anodized iPods that came out a few years ago?

I don't see Apple suing Samsung for making a remote control that looks like the iPhone 4 so I don't see Apple suing Nokia for making a smartphone that looks like a mini PMP.
  • Reply 48 of 83
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

Only in your mind
  • Reply 49 of 83
    tunetune Posts: 91member
    Samsung had the one button design on their mp3 player before the iphone.
  • Reply 50 of 83
    Quote:

Sometimes it's possible to just see what you want to see...

• Reply 51 of 83
    The Galaxy S does look very much like the iPhone but it is not true to suggest that all phones looked like "soap on a rope" in the dark ages.

All of the above predate the iphone release. One even ran a full blown desktop OS, regretably it was the worst MS (vista) have ever inflicted on the public (admittedly although announced in march 2007 it was plagued by problems and released much later).
  • Reply 52 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And yes, dumbphones still exist, thankfully. I need to have something to update my existing phone to when it finally dies.

That brick of yours cannot die, those are the best! If it happens, check here:

http://www.retrobrick.com/
  • Reply 53 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tune View Post

Samsung had the one button design on their mp3 player before the iphone.

My girlfriend has one button that turns her on - what's your point?
  • Reply 54 of 83
    Then her pussy must be a copy of the iphone.
  • Reply 55 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

That isn't everyone's phone...

Aaaarrrrggghhhhh! Those are hideous!

Only a moron would even consider getting one of those ugly POS THINGS.
  • Reply 56 of 83
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:

Then her pussy must be a copy of the iphone.

That's funny, but I see you're new so be careful with your language.
  • Reply 57 of 83
    I know but he deserved it, what kind of POS talks about his own girlfriend like that.
  • Reply 58 of 83
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:

I know but he deserved it, what kind of POS talks about his own girlfriend like that.

He definitely deserved it, I just think you could've worded it differently, and I'm sure he has no idea where her turn on button is anyways.
  • Reply 59 of 83
    Quote:

I'm merely pointing out to those here not in the know that touchscreen although woefully lousy did exist before the iPhone.

The problem with the early resistive screens in the pre-iphone years was that the screens were so small that you had to use a stylus. This limitation was less obvious with the larger phones, eg the 6 inch screen of the HTC Athena allowed you to use your finger. TBH I am still surprised that capacitive blew resistive out of the water quite so comprehensively. Sure you could see the mesh in certain lights but not everyone wants to watch movies on their phone, there are still some of us that want to perform tasks that require a degree of accuracy.
  • Reply 60 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Samsung's accessories have a RIDICULOUS similarity to those of Apple's. I mean, that USB cable.. really? That case.. really? It's almost as if they're purposely taunting Apple. There's no reason the USB connector has to be such a similar shape, and no other company has done this.

And the charger, the packaging, icons, the radius of corners, etc, etc