Apple's US Samsung lawsuit expands to 8 patents and names 17 products

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You forget this was pre iPhone and there's still phones for sale now that look like the ones on the left.

Prada was released before iPhone but iPhone design patents predate Prada design.
  • Reply 62 of 83
    mhdmhd Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galeforce View Post

Prada was released before iPhone but iPhone design patents predate Prada design.

Very interesting. Do you have links? Maybe that's why LG never sued.
  • Reply 63 of 83
    Why are we talking about Samsung devices's physical look and feel when Apple's lawsuits are all based on Android / software patents?

It doesn't seem like Apple has much of a case based on hardware design or look.
  • Reply 64 of 83
    Quote:

And let's be clear... the original iPhone looked nothing like the Prada anyway... except for the fact that they both had a capacitive touchscreen.

Just because the Prada had a release date before the iPhone's release date... does anyone really think Apple spent 2.5 years on the iPhone and at the last minute they decided to (loosely) mimic the Prada?

• Reply 65 of 83
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

And let's be clear... the original iPhone looked nothing like the Prada anyway... except for the fact that they both had a capacitive touchscreen.

Just because the Prada had a release date before the iPhone's release date... does anyone really think Apple spent 2.5 years on the iPhone and at the last minute they decided to (loosely) mimic the Prada?

image: http://i.imgur.com/6al2D.jpg

Besides the Prada having no pinch/zoom and other highly important features to the iPhone because it came with multitouch out of the gate there is one huge reason the iPhone changed the game and the Prada didn't and it's right there on the front. It's that phone button. Before the iPhone all phones had a dedicated phone button but after the iPhone (allowing for time for competitors to switch up their product cycles) they all made the phone just another app among apps.
  • Reply 66 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Besides the Prada having no pinch/zoom and other highly important features to the iPhone because it came with multitouch out of the gate there is one huge reason the iPhone changed the game and the Prada didn't and it's right there on the front. It's that phone button. Before the iPhone all phones had a dedicated phone button but after the iPhone (allowing for time for competitors to switch up their product cycles) they all made the phone just another app among apps.

That just isn't true.

Edit ie the whole press to dial, press to hang up had been depreciated on certain handsets. There was no pinch to zoom but shortly after the iPhone some units used the iconic B&O dial as a way of zooming in and our
  • Reply 67 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hungover View Post

That just isn't true.

Then make a case as to how the Prada was multitouch and how that isn't a HW phone button on the device that has a picture of a phone on the button.
  • Reply 68 of 83
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:

Do you see that phone button on each of those devices? Apple made the phone jyst another app. Regardless of whether you think a single-touch resistive or capavtenxe touchscreen is exactly like the iPhone or not that phone button is a pinnacle difference pre ad post iPhone photos. That is important!

LOL

Picking straws. Pathetic.
  • Reply 69 of 83
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That brick of yours cannot die, those are the best! If it happens, check here:

http://www.retrobrick.com/

Stupid StarTAC living longer than Castro lol
  • Reply 70 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCupertinoMDN View Post

Nope. Google is worth over $100B and beside... it will never win regulatory approval anyway. As for Samsung, the South Korean Gov. will not allow any foreign company to own one of its own "ironic" company.

... my 2 cents ...

Samsung is already owned by 51+% foreigners - Citi being the largest shareholder.
  • Reply 71 of 83
    Quote:

Do they predate the prada design, or the prada release. two seperate comparisons. When did LG initiate the touch screne design work (first to invent is a wonderful variability in patent law worldwide)
  • Reply 72 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Do they predate the prada design, or the prada release. two seperate comparisons. When did LG initiate the touch screne design work (first to invent is a wonderful variability in patent law worldwide)

There's absolutely no way the iPhone is in any way a copy of anything LG did on the Prada.

The Prada UI, on the other hand?
  • Reply 73 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

They didn't invent the capacitance display. It had been used before. LG was simply the first to ship one in a phone. But that's not what is up for question. LG had made no effort to make their phone exceptionally great. There wasn't even dual-touch capability which mean that none of the effort that Apple put into iOS was there. No pinch, zoom, inertia scrolling, etc. Oh yeah, Apple bought Fingerworks in April 2005 for its PATENTS.
  • Reply 74 of 83
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

They didn't invent the capacitance display. It had been used before. LG was simply the first to ship one in a phone. But that's not what is up for question. LG had made no effort to make their phone exceptionally great. There wasn't even dual-touch capability which mean that none of the effort that Apple put into iOS was there. No pinch, zoom, inertia scrolling, etc. Oh yeah, Apple bought Fingerworks in April 2005 for its PATENTS.

AAAAAAAnd the Prada's cost was almost twice as much. Cost more. Did less. DOA.
  • Reply 75 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splif View Post

AAAAAAAnd the Prada's cost was almost twice as much. Cost more. Did less. DOA.

The original iPhone was $599 for 8GB as I recall. How much was the LG Prada
  • Reply 76 of 83
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Google already has a patent for this

http://www.directoryinventor.com/inv..._LeBeau_1.html
  • Reply 77 of 83
    Quote:

Then make a case as to how the Prada was multitouch and how that isn't a HW phone button on the device that has a picture of a phone on the button.

Hi SolipsismX

I phrased my point badly. I was trying to point out that the iPhone was not the first to remove the hardware phone button from the front of the unit. The HTC Athena had buttons on the front but not for dialing.

To the best of my knowledge (OS aside) the only thing that differentiated the iphone from it's successors was the capacitive multitouch screen. Whilst multitouch capacitive had existed for years it was the first time it had been used in a phone

Having checked my facts I remove my point about HW zoom scroll wheels, this was much later than I had initially thought
  • Reply 78 of 83
    Quote:

The original iPhone was $599 for 8GB as I recall. How much was the LG Prada

According to

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/18/l...hone-says-wha/

the Prada was $778, not sure if that includes taxes or not.
  • Reply 79 of 83
    Quote:

Hi SolipsismX

I phrased my point badly. I was trying to point out that the iPhone was not the first to remove the hardware phone button from the front of the unit. The HTC Athena had buttons on the front but not for dialing.

That monstrosity had phone capabilities but it was a pocket PC not a smartphone. Just look at how huge that thing is. There were plenty of thee devices that weren't phones but contained ways to make calls because they connected to a cellular network. Most vendors simply don't understand that it's not what you add but what you don't add.

Here isn't view to show how this was not a smartphone but a cellular connected PDA.
    Quote:

To the best of my knowledge (OS aside) the only thing that differentiated the iphone from it's successors was the capacitive multitouch screen. Whilst multitouch capacitive had existed for years it was the first time it had been used in a phone

Having checked my facts I remove my point about HW zoom scroll wheels, this was much later than I had initially thought

Name one multi-touch capacitance touchscreen device?
  • Reply 80 of 83
    Quote:

According to

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/18/l...hone-says-wha/

the Prada was $778, not sure if that includes taxes or not.

The Prada 3.0 looks to be coming in between $650 to $750 when converting to USD. There is nothing special about the HW or SW except that it looks to be made well and that its specs do put it in range to get ICS up from Android 2.3 that ships with.

What's really baffling about that price is that it's still at 8GB. That original iPhone shipped with 8GB as the most desired option and 5 years later that's what LG pushes for the Prada. I can't see why anyone would want the Prada 3.0 over other Android-based devices that can do a lot more for a lot less.