Mountain Lion signals end of OS X support for older Macs

Comments

• Reply 81 of 121
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    The forum is growing tired of this noise about matte screens. They are massively inferior to the current generation of screens. Further the inability of people to adjust the lighting in their work areas have many of us wonder if there is a segment of Mac owners that could pass as imbeciles.

In a nut shell the forum is tired of baseless complaining about dead technology.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Get over what? Are you being rude for a reason?

• Reply 82 of 121
    Quote:

Maybe nonsense to you. It is not to a lot of people. Attacking people's opinions as nonsense is not what a "Global Moderator" should be doing.

Your opinion as to matte over glossy is not nonsense. Your (and EVERYONE ELSE in the matte crowd's) sensationalization of this issue is nonsensical.

I was one of you. FERVENTLY one of you. My stars, I fought with the best of them. And then I actually used a glossy display and realized, "Hey, I was a moron; this is great." Seriously.

Quote:

I am leaning towards a Mac Mini with a matte display. May even get a used 30" Apple Cinema display.

Don't buy used! Buy a refurb directly from Apple.com. You can't trust the backlight on a straight used one. At least with refurb you're given a guarantee as to the condition of the backlight, panel, and everything else.
  • Reply 83 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Fragmentation!

Phasing out support for lower-end, 4 year old devices that cant handle the latest features is not fragmentation.

For a true example, I refer you to the Android platform, where one month old devices with the latest hardware can't be upgraded the latest version of the OS.
  • Reply 84 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You are beating a dead horse here. No one wants to buy a Mac with an obviously inferior screen.

Really?
  • Reply 85 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Your opinion as to matte over glossy is not nonsense. Your*(and EVERYONE ELSE in the matte crowd's) sensationalization of this issue is nonsensical.

Sensationalization? How so?

Glare makes it difficult to work with glossy screens. That is the opinion of the "matte crowd." You don't have to agree.

Quote:

"Hey, I was a moron; this is great." Seriously.

No comment.
  • Reply 86 of 121
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Maybe nonsense to you. It is not to a lot of people.

It is nothing but non sense. Your complaining is a lot like a ghetto mama crying over her sons death, claiming he is a good boy all the while failing to acknowledge his drug dealing and other despicable behavior. He was no more a good boy than a matte screen is the right answer for today's PC's.

Quote:

As a so-called "Global Moderator," you need to learn a politeness.

Politeness; are you kidding people have been gentle with you. This is a thread about an OS update not a thread about a future hardware update.

Quote:

This forum is for the purpose of expressing opinions. Attacking people's opinions as nonsense is not what a "Global Moderator" should be doing.

The opinion has no place in the thread about Mountain Lion and the end of support for some hardware. Read that carefully we are talking old hardware here, not future hardware.

Beyond that you started off with the tone of an emotionally challenged child. People really want to have more rational conversations than that. Really you have polluted the thread here with nothing of value in the context of the thread and then you try to defend your so called opinion.

Not impressed at all!
  • Reply 87 of 121
    Quote:

You don't… at all… think it's a little over the top to suggest you'll move to a different OS because the screen available on the iMac doesn't have the coating you want and are too stubborn to change from? Particularly when you can go out and buy any screen you want and connect it to any Mac you want and have that instead?

And since calibration goes hand in hand with this sort of thing, you'd not prefer the greater amount of calibration afforded to you by an external screen anyway?
  • Reply 88 of 121
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sabuga View Post

Lol, thats awsome! I've got an old iBook G3 Clamshell (The Lime 466 MHz one). I've maxed it with 570 MB of RAM, and changed the HDD to a CF card, with an IDE adaptor. Since it's got no fan, and now no platter drive, it runs totally silently. I've got 10.4.11 on it. It's a good juke box, and since it's styling is different, it's a real looker!

For people who say that that their computer not running the latest OS makes it unusable, My BEST Mac is a PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8, it's running Leopard. It works fine, there are some features I want, but it's a statement that a 9 year old computer is still running, and still 70% relivent.

Great post. I love the look of those old iBooks! My Pismo has got 768mb RAM, 120gb hdd and I replaced the old DVD-ROM with a Pioneer slot DVD-R/RW/RAMetc burner.

Whilst running an older computer that doesn't have access to some new features does feel like you are "missing out", it doesn't mean the older computer suddenly can't do what it's always done.
  • Reply 89 of 121
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Glare makes it difficult to work with glossy screens. That is the opinion of the "matte crowd." You don't have to agree.

No comment.

Either Apple will decide at some point in the future to offer matte screens as an option on all their models, or they won't. Creating online petitions or bitching on message-boards is not going to affect that decision one iota. You don't represent the vast majority of the buying public. I suggest you save your time and energy, assume it's not coming, and switch to whatever the hell platform you want. You have absolutely no control or influence over what happens, so lay off your little crusade. This matte bullshit just pollutes threads it has nothing to do with. Suck it up or switch, I don't think anyone here could care less about what you do. You've expressed your opinion fully, now move on. There's nothing further you or anyone else can say about the matter.
  • Reply 90 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What comes after Mountain Lion.... Dandelion?

Check out my MBP! She's a Dandy!
  • Reply 91 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

What comes after Mountain Lion.... Dandelion?

Sabre Tooth Cat!

Having a Jerky Boys flashback. . .
  • Reply 92 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sabuga View Post

My BEST Mac is a PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8, it's running Leopard. It works fine, there are some features I want, but it's a statement that a 9 year old computer is still running, and still 70% relivent.

Case in point: If you were running Lion, it would have automatically spellchecked your text, correcting the word to "relevant".
  • Reply 93 of 121
    Quote:

Your opinion as to matte over glossy is not nonsense. Your*(and EVERYONE ELSE in the matte crowd's) sensationalization of this issue is nonsensical.

I was one of you. FERVENTLY one of you. My stars, I fought with the best of them. And then I actually used a glossy display and realized, "Hey, I was a moron; this is great." Seriously.

Objectively, glossy screens have a higher contrast ratio and better blacks, but worse whites, color accuracy and color gamut.

Check out this test:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5113/a...-2011-review/3

I don't think people's preference here makes them a moron.
  • Reply 94 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lebensmuede View Post

Case in point: If you were running Lion, it would have automatically spellchecked your text, correcting the word to "relevant".

Or if he were running Firefox on any platform.
  • Reply 95 of 121
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Every time a new OS or program comes out and old hardware is deprecated we get people like this saying that it's a scam or that it has to do with politics or money and that they really could support the older hardware if they wanted to.

The fact is though, I don't think there is a single documented case of this actually being true despite it being said every single time. It always turns out that there is a valid hardware-related reason for not supporting the old hardware, but that never stops folks like this from making this same "fantasy gripe" every single time.

Couldn't? Never? Always? It turns out? : )

There are as many instances of non-necessary end of support as there are necessary. It's hardly "It always turns out that there is a valid hardware-related reason for not supporting the old hardware". That's as much conjecture as what it's refuting.
  • Reply 96 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Or if he were running Firefox on any platform.

Hmmm, just did a test. Spellcheck via underlining - yes, automatic correction Ã* la iOS - no.
  • Reply 97 of 121
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:

The matte/glossy nonsense, that is. Pretending that you have to start looking for a new computing platform because they don't offer your preferred display covering in their computers is ludicrous.

There's nothing nonsense about a good matte display vs an uber shiny reflective extra glossy one if you need to do real image work. Te problem isn't that a decent glossy screen won't work, it's that Apple is obsessed with screens that are TOO glossy. Great for visuals that have lots of impact. Difficult to create those visuals on it.
  • Reply 98 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter61 View Post

My son works in IT and he just got a new HP laptop with Windows 7. He is having all kinds of fun (frustration really) trying to interface with '97 programs that won't work period on the Windows 7 API

Many companies were still using IE6 ... crappy browers ... full of malware holes ... many didn't upgrade til MS forced their hand. They don't upgrade unless forced to in many instances.

We all have opinions though don't we.

I wonder how good your son is at his job then, since for older backwards compatibility, there is always a VM, and 7 Pro includes XP Mode for running older SW for essentially peanuts, and any IT department worth their salt wouldn't be using a home edition of Windows to begin with, but even then, there's the option of a VM.

And the latest version of IE that can run on XP, is automatically pushed out through WU, even Microsoft wants IE 6 to die.

It's the same thing with OSX - you either come to a point where you have to break something, in order to go forward, or don't go forward at all. I have a 2007 Mini, I don't care about running ML on it, and I don't even have a desire to run Lion on it, it's just too old and slow.
  • Reply 99 of 121
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    I love this kind of response:

Quote:

I have this PC for 3+ years now. It runs Windows 7 and everything else just fine. A 3 year computer is not *old*, no matter what Apple would like you to happily agree to.

Funnily enough, my 3 year old mbp can run a 3 year old OS just fine as well.
  • Reply 100 of 121
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

I love this kind of response:

Funnily enough, my 3 year old mbp can run a 3 year old OS just fine as well.

Havent you heard? Windows 7 is going to be released Summer 2012. Or something.