With Mountain Lion, Apple officially drops 'Mac' from OS X name

Comments

• Reply 41 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I see two potential explanations for this:

1. Simplification

2. They intend to run OSX on machines not called "mac" (for example, as a VM on a server)

The first explanation seems most likely

It is the second one, however.

As of 10.7, it is expressly allowed to install OS X (client version) on a VM. It is therefore possible (and permitted) to run OS X on non-Mac hardware.

The last time such a thing happened was with System 7.5, and Apple changed "About this Mac" to "About this computer". It wasn't changed back to "About this Mac" until Mac OS X was introduced.

Apple have always been very meticulous about branding. Running OS X doesn't turn just any ol' hardware into a Mac, thus this name change.

.tsooJ
  • Reply 42 of 94
    OS

or just

• Reply 43 of 94
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    or would it be OS XI version 1

is not that far off - unless they go with OS X version 10.10 and 10.11 etc
  • Reply 44 of 94
    So basically the mac is dead, and iOS is now the focus of the company. Not surprising, considering all the feature movement focus from iOS to the mac.

I wish however apple would not forget that the interface on the desktop is not the same as a touch based interface. Until the mac ships with a touch screen, it's still a traditional computer.
  • Reply 45 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

An interesting concept...
    1. Create iPads in 11" and 13" sizes along with the stanard 10"

2. Make keyboard, mouse, track-pad and pen input first class citizens next to touch

3. Add an "OSX" app to the springboard that launches like any other iOS app

4. Allow the iPad to dock with a MacBook Air like base. That way most of the time it works like an iPad, until you dock it and launch "OSX" app at which time it works like a MacBook Air.

5. Add a few more "multitasking" enhancements to iOS like side-by-side apps, a better app switcher and a way for apps to opt-in to share information with each other.

That's Windows 8. From the OSX Mountain Lion announcements it sounds like Apple don't want to do that.

That sounds awesome.
  • Reply 46 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Clearly, they are releasing a TV running OS X and are morphing the name now.

That would be great!
  • Reply 47 of 94
    The interesting thing about this is, what happens after apple reaches 10.9? "X" was supposed to mean "10". If you call the operating system "OS X", then it no longer means 10, the X is part of the name. Otherwise you kill your marketing by having to rename the OS again.

This seems like an intent to keep on going with OS X regardless. Like OS X version 12.3.

Firefox version updates anyone?
  • Reply 48 of 94
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

That's only if they drop the name "Mac" from iMac, MacBook, Mac Mini, Mac Pro => i, Book, Mini, Pro.

I http://findicons.com/files/icons/100.../128/apple.png

i; Book; Mini; Pro; etc.

Is there an easier way to put an Apple icon into AI without going to Flickr, or ...

Edit: Andyapple had a similar idea,OS

or just

• Reply 49 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

An interesting concept...

That's Windows 8. From the OSX Mountain Lion announcements it sounds like Apple don't want to do that.

Heh. That's not what I mean, either.

If I get the inclination, I'll mock it up sometime.
  • Reply 50 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

or would it be OS XI version 1

is not that far off - unless they go with OS X version 10.10 and 10.11 etc

Please try not to spread more stupid on the internet than absolutely necessary.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

So basically the mac is dead, and iOS is now the focus of the company. Not surprising, considering all the feature movement focus from iOS to the mac.

I wish however apple would not forget that the interface on the desktop is not the same as a touch based interface. Until the mac ships with a touch screen, it's still a traditional computer.

You didn't actually read any of the articles that were written about this since it was announced, did you?

You know, the whole reason iOS exists at all, and Apple didn't (like so many others) go with a miniaturised version of OS X on the iPhone, is that they understand (and always have: see the Apple Newton) that what works on the desktop isn't necessarily what works on a hand-held, and vice versa.

.tsooJ
  • Reply 51 of 94
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

:rolleyes :
  • Reply 52 of 94
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:

iOS has been the focus for awhile and I don't think they have made that a secret. They're still selling more computers than they ever have in their history. So they removed Mac from Mac OS X. Do we really have to wonder if an Apple Mac is running Mac OS X? Does anyone actually say it twice like that? No, we say our Mac is running OS X or 10.7 or Lion or OS X 10.7 Lion.

How is adding back in software that they tweaked in iOS to OS X changing the interface to become like a touch device? You can revert the mouse scroll change Lion added. It isn't like there are now areas of OS X that you can't access unless you are using a touch screen. Nothing is stopping you from using it as a traditional computer. Heck, you can even spend all day w/the command line fullscreened if you like
  • Reply 53 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

1. Simplification

2. They intend to run OSX on machines not called "mac" (for example, as a VM on a server)

The first explanation seems most likely

Yeah, it's 1. They are just tidying things up. But I can't believe the reactions from some though - it's not as if Apple have announced that you'll have to hand over your first born son for the next iPhone or anything.
  • Reply 54 of 94
    And who cares?

While Apple takes care of this another version of OS X, other applications are abandoned.

The latest version of iLife was in October 2010. iWork does even better with January 2009! Needless to say the nice iWork is at risk.

And what about the still un-fixed bugs and the new just added ones...

Apple, take care: quality is key.
  • Reply 55 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rei_vilo View Post

While Apple takes care of this another version of OS X, other applications are abandoned.

Hardly.

Quote:

Needless to say the nice iWork is at risk.

Of what?

Quote:

Such as?
  • Reply 56 of 94
    Quote:

Needless to say the nice iWork is at risk.

At risk? iWork is central to Apple's iCloud strategy and the premiere showcase of Apple's vision of an app-centric future.

.tsooJ
  • Reply 57 of 94
    Quote:

And who cares?

The latest version of iLife was in October 2010. iWork does even better with January 2009! Needless to say the nice iWork is at risk.

Apple, take care: quality is key.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hardly.

Of what?

Such as?

I don't think it's completely false to observe that Apple does seem to neglect some of its lesser lights. FaceTime, iAd, Ping, even iTunes ... all overdue for some form of product progression. But I don't think this has anything to do with OS X development.
  • Reply 58 of 94
    At the risk of being jumped on I wonder if OSX will someday be available to everyone even if they don't by Apple hardware. I remember reading several years ago that SJ was really the only one that didn't want to market OSX to anyone that didn't buy Apple hardware.

On many levels I don't see this happening but it would be interesting to see OSX for any system.
  • Reply 59 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

They pretty much screwed themselves when they named it OS X with code names of large cats in the first place. Now that they have painted themselves into a corner with the naming conventions, they are squirming around trying to find a way to spin it.

They will likely just add an "S" to end of the name and hope no one notices.

I highly doubt anyone is "squirming" at Apple. lmao.
  • Reply 60 of 94
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

At the risk of being jumped on I wonder if OSX will someday be available to everyone even if they don't by Apple hardware. I remember reading several years ago that SJ was really the only one that didn't want to market OSX to anyone that didn't buy Apple hardware.

On many levels I don't see this happening but it would be interesting to see OSX for any system.

I don't see it. Apple's Mac business is thriving. It's the most profitable PC business in the world and by a large margin. If they were going to sell their OS to anyone they would have done this back before 1997 when they were struggling. Now it simply would do nothing but hurt them.