Apple TV disappears from BestBuy.com as refresh rumors swirl

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Maybe they will finally rename it something more akin to its function e.g. iStream, and save the Apple TV monicker for an actual Apple television ?

AppleTV Express.

Won't be surprised if it's introduced after the TV rollout.
  • Reply 42 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jordanclark1993 View Post

That stinks. I definitely have the ability to stream 1080p files. I have 100mbps down with 5mbps upload.

Well goody for you

I have about 11mbps. I can stream 1080 from places with lower traffic (Vimeo) but it's torture getting 1080p from a busy site like Youtube.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    How about THIS for an amazing capability of OS X 10.8 and Apple TV 3: Since you can mirror anything in 1080p (probably), won't this mean that we can run VLC player and play ANY container/codec combination (a.k.a. ANY file extension), switch to full screen and click on the AirPlay icon in the menu bar? No more conversions, no more tied to iTunes...true freedom!!!

Or am I missing something???
  • Reply 44 of 61
    Apart from all these amazing possibilities that AirPlay mirroring via Apple TV open up, it's also going to be just a great convenience. In my case, I won't need to disconnect my LED Cinema Display from the end of my Thunderbolt chain and replace it with the MiniDisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter and HDMI cable that runs to my projector. Although I got it down to less than a minute now...
  • Reply 45 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crunch View Post

How about THIS for an amazing capability of OS X 10.8 and Apple TV 3: Since you can mirror anything in 1080p (probably), won't this mean that we can run VLC player and play ANY container/codec combination (a.k.a. ANY file extension), switch to full screen and click on the AirPlay icon in the menu bar? No more conversions, no more tied to iTunes...true freedom!!!

Or am I missing something???

Well, yeah. It's full OS mirroring, something you can do now with any compatible cable. Of course you can do this.

"Tied to iTunes". Hilarious. Enjoy your AVIs and MKVs.
  • Reply 46 of 61
    This is exciting news! I just upgraded our 8 year old non-HDMI receiver to a Pioneer Elite VSX-52 AVR. It has built in AirPlay which works fantastically for streaming our music from our iPhones/iPads, but it doesn't stream video. At least 10% of the reason for upgrading was to prepare for installing Apple TV. Now I'll just wait for Apple TV 3.
  • Reply 47 of 61
    crunchcrunch Posts: 180member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, yeah. It's full OS mirroring, something you can do now with any compatible cable. Of course you can do this.

"Tied to iTunes". Hilarious. Enjoy your AVIs and MKVs.

Woohoo! YEAA!! lol...Well, I don't use iTunes much except for the AppStore but it'll be great to be able to stream to my Apple TV2 for my GF's kids, while mirroring another movie to my projector on the upcoming Apple TV 3. All without any downscaling from 1080p and without any buffering. That's where those quad core i7's come in handy.
  • Reply 48 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crunch View Post

Woohoo! YEAA!! lol...Well, I don't use iTunes much except for the AppStore but it'll be great to be able to stream to my Apple TV2 for my GF's kids, while mirroring another movie to my projector on the upcoming Apple TV 3. All without any downscaling from 1080p and without any buffering. That's where those quad core i7's come in handy.

Well, no. It still outputs only 720p. You have to wait for the next model Apple TV for 1080p out.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, no. It still outputs only 720p. You have to wait for the next model Apple TV for 1080p out.

Yea, I know. That's exactly what I wrote. Too much Matroska? (it always reminds me of Russian vodka lol)

Man...this year will be an expensive one but it's all worth it to me.

P.S.: OS X 10.8's Notification Center is super useful! This is one heck of a stable "dev. preview".
  • Reply 50 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trapezoidboy View Post

Called the local Apple Store and they said they "won't be getting any until March 7th."

Hmmm, what other event

which store was that. Because I tried every store in the LA area and every one of them told me that they had no information about their shipments of any items and that they haven't been told anything about a new iPad, new Apple TV etc.

I'd love to know which store will actually give out information they are apparently forbidden to talk about. Save myself a lot of time
  • Reply 51 of 61
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I don't really care about hardware refreshes unless that brings new content opportunities. The current hardware could support Hulu Plus but Apple somehow isn't making that happen. I'm not interested in Netflix. I'd like more content choices but that seems to be a problem for Apple to gather together.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I completely agree. There is almost no electronics product that I can think of which has provided me and my family greater value for money.

A brilliant product, especially for its price.

Yup for $100.

However... although I have not used them, it seems the Roku and their ilk match Apple for the features that I use(movie rental, pod casts). I do airplay a web video once in a while, but not that often that I would miss it.
  • Reply 53 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I don't really care about hardware refreshes unless that brings new content opportunities. The current hardware could support Hulu Plus but Apple somehow isn't making that happen. I'm not interested in Netflix. I'd like more content choices but that seems to be a problem for Apple to gather together.

You assume it's Apple's problem automatically. It's equally possible Hulu won't accept Apple's terms.
  • Reply 54 of 61
    If Apple is serious about making its mark in the broadcast TV realm it has to be with a set=top device like the current Apple TV.

It is impossible for Apple to gain traction if it requires of consumers that they replace their entire TV to participate. And most households feature more than one set.

If Apple were to tell a potential customer, "Hey, if you want to sign up for our service, you're going to have to replace all the TVs in your home and our TV will cost twice as much as the typical HD set on the market today. So when can I sign you up."

Well, obviously, it would take a very long time to get enough customers buying into that scenario to justify going there. As such, it's not going to be like that. A new Apple TV set-top box will combine with existing Mac computers to provide the point of entry for most customers. There will be a set that incorporates Apple TV into an elegant package but in order to get people signing up for Apple's service in the first place, there have to be ways other than that pricey set to do it.
  • Reply 55 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

I somehow have survived on about 12GB per month on iPhone 4/4S 3G tethering. Phone company came on Wednesday and hooked up the land line, hopefully ADSL2+ by Wednesday next week. Long story, but crossing my fingers it will go through this time, it should because it's under the telco's business side rather than consumer. Work is also footing the setup and ongoing bill, so it's a silver lining to the cloud of not being able to get DSL a few months ago.

We'll see. The exchange is about a three minute walk away, so I'm looking forward to at least 5mbps. In various suburbs where I am now, home DSL seems to be pretty decent. I get 250GB on the work plan... Still trying tUo wrap my head around recreational use of that data that wouldn't involve me not leaving the house.

Haha lol at "recreational" use of data. I love it :P I've just been very fortunate where I am I guess, because my high speed Internet (100mbps) is a good price because it's bundled with tv and home phone. As well, Rogers (Canadian cell phone company linked to AT&T) had a special offer when I bought my iPhone to get 6GB for $30 a month. So I jumped on that so I wouldn't have to worry about how much data I used.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am assuming you are not in the USA. Who is your ISP? I like my FiOS 25-30 Mb/s up and down but I'd love even more

Yeah I live in Canada on "Shaw".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Well goody for you

I have about 11mbps. I can stream 1080 from places with lower traffic (Vimeo) but it's torture getting 1080p from a busy site like Youtube.

That's good. It doesn't really matter how fast your Internet is, as long as it suits your needs we have Chinese students renting in our house and they download a bunch, and I play Xbox online and download stuff too.
  • Reply 56 of 61
    Pretty sure I am not seeing Apple TV available direct from Amazon as well as of now.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    So, no one above checked Amazon? It was there a week or so, ago. I keep it on my wish list to prompt me for an upgraded model I would buy in a flash [1080p].

NEW - is gone. Now only used or refurbs.
  • Reply 58 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eideard View Post

So, no one above checked Amazon? It was there a week or so, ago. I keep it on my wish list to prompt me for an upgraded model I would buy in a flash [1080p].

NEW - is gone. Now only used or refurbs.

Amazon still has the original TV with the 160GB HDD for only $399. They also say "Only 5 left in stock--order soon" so some of you might want to jump on that before it's too late.
  • Reply 59 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

which store was that. Because I tried every store in the LA area and every one of them told me that they had no information about their shipments of any items and that they haven't been told anything about a new iPad, new Apple TV etc.

I'd love to know which store will actually give out information they are apparently forbidden to talk about. Save myself a lot of time

The store employees know nothing. They generally don't find anything out until they literally get the shipments in.

Incidentally, you can get Hulu Plus to work on Apple TV if you jailbreak it ("hack it"). Jailbreaking is completely legal and it opens up a ton of additional options.
  • Reply 60 of 61
    Pardon my ignorance...

How is the 3rd generation significantly different from the 2nd generation Apple TV? Furthermore, if a television is not 1080p can the Apple TV transmit as such?